Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2008, 12:32   #361
BHPian

great i am impressed that you selected the vehicle yourself noting down chassis no etc.
can you advise me how you selected it i.e. what did you look for, so I can learn from you when I go to book one?
Old 30th January 2008, 13:01   #362
BHPian

nothing great, there were 3 Silver Flytes with the dealer - I made sure that the one I chose didn't have any dents, scratches etc. and to make sure that I get the same vehicle; I noted down the chassis no. & engine no. Dealers can cheat you and I have seen new Marutis were being sold with dents and all...so just took some precautions.

Otherwise, keeping my fingers crossed now!
Old 30th January 2008, 17:22   #363
Senior - BHPian

hmm.. So another Silver Flyte joins Team-BHP.
Congrats.
Old 31st January 2008, 21:52   #364
BHPian

Well, I got my delivery today itself - he had mentioned that if registration no comes early, he'd call me - so I inquired & they assured that vehicle would be delivered today. So I went there around 6.45 pm and my Flyte was ready - the delivery guy there insisted on completing paper formalities first but I told him that I would like to inspect the vehicle first - as I inspected it, it turned out that the right hand side body panel had a scratch mark on it - almost as big as 50 ps. coin. He told me that it is just a stain and it can be cleaned - so I asked him to clean it. He tried to clean it with petrol, but since it was a scratch, it didn't vanish. So I gave him that stern look - he offered me to replace the body panel & I agreed. But the service station guy said it will take 1 & half hour and sounded reluctant. He told me "Sir, you can take delivery now and get it replaced after 3-4 days. I will replace it." But I knew better - if I had taken delivery, he would just keep on postponing it saying sir, I don't have any silver Flyte now to replace the body and so on. So I told him that I'd refuse to take delivery & inform toll-free number about the problem and I would collect my Flyte once they replace the panel. Then some manager sort of guy (Mr. Sumit from Kinetic, heeven argued that Blaze is good!!! I told him to talk to Ravi! ) came in and told me that he would replace it right away in 15-20 mins. Finally it took 45 mins. to replace the body panel and after that since the washing center was closed, they just wiped my Flyte with damp cloth and finally I took delivery.

I will post shortly about my observations & few first feelings about Flyte shortly!
Old 31st January 2008, 22:27   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Well, I got my delivery today itself - Finally it took 45 mins. to replace the body panel and after that since the washing center was closed, they just wiped my Flyte with damp cloth and finally I took delivery.

I will post shortly about my observations & few first feelings about Flyte shortly!
well congrats first on the purchase and am sure the whole delivery process was not a nice experience. its your vehicle and you have all right to expect it in the best condition for delivery. call the toll free number and make this complaint so that some action is taken to resolve this issue at the earliest and to ensure that this does not happen again to another customer.

did you get an i-o-u on the polish? the least the dealer can do is give your vehicle a good wax polish. ask for it.
Old 31st January 2008, 23:01   #366
BHPian

Congrats Manish. It was good that you have inspected the vehicle before formalities. I did the same and even rode for a few meters to check the condition.

I do not know when will these guys learn. They should have common sense that how would one accept a damaged vehicle. Instead of solving the issue in an amicable way, they would try to give excuses and getaway with that. They know customer is not satisfied, but they still do that. Experienced the same, when I took the delivery of the Blaze. Kinetic should also revamp the service network to gain the customer's confidence.
Old 1st February 2008, 00:02   #367
BHPian

Few first observations, views & reports --

(1) The handling is exceptionally good - very well balanced and in-control vehicle. 10 on 10 for the handling.

(2) Flyte does not only seem or feel small - it is indeed smaller as compared to Activa and Access. Don't go by dimensions - the length is more because of the grab-rail at the back. The seat is narrower and smaller in length as compare to Activa or Access. When I took my mother for a small ride, I felt little cramped when she sat with both legs on one side. She thought my sister's Activa had broader & more comfortable seat for the pillion.

(3) When you sit with slightly spread out legs as your natural stance (mine is on the scooter), your knees are coming out of the front protective part - on Activa, your legs are well inside in the same posture. Again - because Activa has broader front fairing. In Flyte, if you fall on the side, more probability of your knee hitting the ground rather than the vehicle itself (which is safer as you'd not be hurt). But that's a minor issue. Leg room is absolutely not an issue - quite comfortable that way. However, I genuinely they could have fitted a bigger seat on Flyte - the picture shows much different seat than what they are selling now! I wonder why?

(4) I had around 10 kms. solo ride on my way back home - ground clearance is not a big issue at least for a solo rider. Will update as I drive with pillion.

(5) The fuel tank shows full when you fill about 3 liter petrol. That is because the petrol tank is at the bottom and that's where fuel indicator sensor lies - it doesn't notice additional petrol in the vertical attachment of the container. It's a bit weird that the specifications mention 5 lits. capacity, but ppl there mentioned only 4.5 lits. whereas most ppl say it can't be above 4 lits. I wonder why Kinetic cannot be accurate about capacity - it has to be exact unlike kmpl figure.

(6) Does Sym have TuffUp tubes - the huy there in the showroom told me that they do have tuff up tubes - but it's not mentioned on the site anywhere. Does it really have tuff up tubes or normal tubes?

(7) The place where the driver places his feet should have rubber mat. It's just naked black plastic now - but it is likely to get soiled and scratches would show up quickly there with shoes & all those high heels. I asked them if they sell the rubber mat as an accessory - they don't! I hope they'll make it available shortly, because cleaning a rubber mat would be much easier than cleaning this body plastic once it gets scratches and all that.

That's it for now - will update with my inputs here. For now I am just hoping my Flyte stays smooth & fit for years! Just like my sister's 4 year old Activa is!

BTW - Ravi, the owner manual does mentioned 36 months warranty, is thee any other way where I need to confirm this?
Old 1st February 2008, 00:59   #368
BHPian

Good review Manish. Well, if the owner manual mentions 36-month warranty, then you have a 3-year warranty. I agree with you the seat is smaller than activa, but I have not felt the same till you mentioned, as I am riding with my wife astride.
Old 1st February 2008, 12:49   #369
BHPian

Hi good to know about your experiences on this topic.

Here I would like to politely say after reading that you are fortunate that Kinetic gave you delivery within promised time & listened to you & replaced panel.

My delivery experience from Honda while taking Activa delivery almost a year ago was much worse. The vehicle was not delivered on time at all. I was told it will take 45 days but after waiting for 45 days, dealership told me to either wait for another 45 days or to pay 4000 bucks under the table. I refused to pay, and said I will wait instead, and also i sent information to Honda that this is what your dealer is trying. No response from Honda at all.

After another 45 days, when I went to take delivery I was forced to take a color not of my choice (otherwise wait for another 45 days!). I refused to take delivery but they wouldnt refund my money and said why dont you go ahead & complain to Honda Company and see if they do anything. Having learnt that Honda company wont do anything, and having gotten pretty fed up of the whole issue, I did take delivery of a color I didnt want (maroon yuck); and yes the Activa had two scratches as well which the dealer refused to fix.

This was the trouble I faced at delivery.

And let me tell you that the trouble was far worse later, during servicing & repairs. The Activa never performed properly, very low acceleration, had a ton of starting trouble, would stop randomly anytime.. I had an accident also because of this... and for all the hype about puncture proof tyres they are of no use. I had 2 punctures and didnt find the puncture proof thing to be valid. Also mileage never went above 35 kmpl.

There was never any assistance given either by dealer or the company on any complaint. The servicing experience was bad too, the bills presented were pretty high and explanations given were zero. In one year, I spent additional 4500 rs on this scooter and still it did not perform properly so I sold it off for a paltry 20,000 after having bought for 45k.

Total Loss = 25000 rs in one year + 4500 for repairs = 29,500 loss.
And a lot of headache and indignity at dealership & Honda's total apathy.
No tollfree number! Wish they had one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant believe the flyte has 36 months warranty! thats amazing.

Since we sold that white elephant activa, my wife wants a scooter for herself (I am buying a 150cc bike for me which she cannot ride). trying to see what is best option. so far come up with three ideas (honda is definitely no-no):

- kinetic sym flyte (though dont know much about sym?)
- tvs pep
- bajaj kristal

would the flyte be a better buy than the other two? if I am correct, pep has been in market for long. kristal seems rather interesting as well?

sorry for the long post & thank you for your patience and inputs.
must say that this is a great community you guys have going here.
Old 1st February 2008, 13:22   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbandra View Post
Hi good to know about your experiences on this topic.

Here I would like to politely say after reading that you are fortunate that Kinetic gave you delivery within promised time & listened to you & replaced panel.

My delivery experience from Honda while taking Activa delivery almost a year ago was much worse. The vehicle was not delivered on time at all. I was told it will take 45 days but after waiting for 45 days, dealership told me to either wait for another 45 days or to pay 4000 bucks under the table. I refused to pay, and said I will wait instead, and also i sent information to Honda that this is what your dealer is trying. No response from Honda at all.

After another 45 days, when I went to take delivery I was forced to take a color not of my choice (otherwise wait for another 45 days!). I refused to take delivery but they wouldnt refund my money and said why dont you go ahead & complain to Honda Company and see if they do anything. Having learnt that Honda company wont do anything, and having gotten pretty fed up of the whole issue, I did take delivery of a color I didnt want (maroon yuck); and yes the Activa had two scratches as well which the dealer refused to fix.

This was the trouble I faced at delivery.

And let me tell you that the trouble was far worse later, during servicing & repairs. The Activa never performed properly, very low acceleration, had a ton of starting trouble, would stop randomly anytime.. I had an accident also because of this... and for all the hype about puncture proof tyres they are of no use. I had 2 punctures and didnt find the puncture proof thing to be valid. Also mileage never went above 35 kmpl.

There was never any assistance given either by dealer or the company on any complaint. The servicing experience was bad too, the bills presented were pretty high and explanations given were zero. In one year, I spent additional 4500 rs on this scooter and still it did not perform properly so I sold it off for a paltry 20,000 after having bought for 45k.

Total Loss = 25000 rs in one year + 4500 for repairs = 29,500 loss.
And a lot of headache and indignity at dealership & Honda's total apathy.
No tollfree number! Wish they had one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant believe the flyte has 36 months warranty! thats amazing.

Since we sold that white elephant activa, my wife wants a scooter for herself (I am buying a 150cc bike for me which she cannot ride). trying to see what is best option. so far come up with three ideas (honda is definitely no-no):

- kinetic sym flyte (though dont know much about sym?)
- tvs pep
- bajaj kristal

would the flyte be a better buy than the other two? if I am correct, pep has been in market for long. kristal seems rather interesting as well?

sorry for the long post & thank you for your patience and inputs.
must say that this is a great community you guys have going here.
(0) Honda's Holier-than-thou attitude irritated me as well. Honda dealers are some arrogant lots, hope they'd be taught a lesson soon.

(1) My sister has almost 4 year old Activa - not a single major problem till date - Touchwood. And there are many people like her. Activa is still one of the best scooters - maybe you had a bad experience as an exception.

(2) My sis is getting 45+ kmpl with her Activa.

(3) The tyres are puncture resistant - not puncture proof (they don't claim that either) - tubeless tyres would be puncture proof I guess!

(4) Kinetic has very, very bad image due to their service. They are trying to resurrect that image - hence the replacement was quick. Only if I had gone there next day, they would have told me - "Siiiiir, how can we remove panel of another new scoooter?" Or "All Silver color scooters are sold Siiir" or "We don't have any spare panel Siiiir". It was my decision to remain stern that helped me - I was ready to fight there itself.

I have countless bad experiences from Kinetic earlier. It would be interesting to see what their stand would be if Flyte indeed becomes a big success in next 6 months or a year.

(5) More than 36 months warranty, I would have been happy if the vehicle had reliability and assurance that nothing would happen to it; like my sister's Activa.

People still prefer to buy reliable Sony or Samsung with 1 year guarantee rather than buying Akai with 7 years guarantee. The reliability in the market counts! Akai was a big & reputed brand worldwide before they spoilt their reputation by getting associated with Videocon.

I am just giving benefit-of-doubt to Kinetic - deep down I am skeptical and can't trust them. And I didn't have any other choice as Access & Activa both had pretty long waiting period. I am keeping my fingers crossed with Flyte.

(6) Do whatever - but stay away from Kristal or any other Bajaj product for that mater - if you are planning to run your vehicle after couple of years. Bajaj bikes/scotters are feature-rich and attractive - but not reliable or durable. If available quickly in your city, go for Access 125.

(7) Lastly, if you had so many problems with the vehicle at the time of delivery itself - you should have approached consumer court and should have sent a registered letter to Honda. I would have done that.
Old 1st February 2008, 13:51   #371
BHPian

Default thanks to manish7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
(0) Honda's Holier-than-thou attitude irritated me as well. Honda dealers are some arrogant lots, hope they'd be taught a lesson soon.

(1) My sister has almost 4 year old Activa - not a single major problem till date - Touchwood. And there are many people like her. Activa is still one of the best scooters - maybe you had a bad experience as an exception.

(2) My sis is getting 45+ kmpl with her Activa.

(5) More than 36 months warranty, I would have been happy if the vehicle had reliability and assurance that nothing would happen to it; like my sister's Activa.

(6) Do whatever - but stay away from Kristal or any other Bajaj product for that mater - if you are planning to run your vehicle after couple of years. Bajaj bikes/scotters are feature-rich and attractive - but not reliable or durable. If available quickly in your city, go for Access 125.

(7) Lastly, if you had so many problems with the vehicle at the time of delivery itself - you should have approached consumer court and should have sent a registered letter to Honda. I would have done that.
Dear Manish: Thank you for such a quick response.

1. I did send letter and email to Honda and received no response whatsoever! Consumer court too much of a hassle.. I am aware that the Activa enjoys a good reputation (thats why I bought it) but for whatever reasons (exception maybe?) I ended up with a pathetic, low quality vehicle so what good is the reputation to me.. also to call the dealer attitude as arrogant and holier than thou is to let them off lightly since they actually demanded money under the table, took too long to deliver, delivered a bad vehicle with scratches, wrong color & some quality problems, refused to fix them, etc. After all I am the one who lost nearly 30000 rs due to them so obviously I do not have a good opinion of Honda or its dealers. Anyhow other than vowing never to buy Honda again, in bikes, scooters or cars, I want to put that behind me and move on with life!

2. Based on my experience with Activa, I dont think there is such a thing as quality & reliability assurance!

3. Ok, I will knock off Bajaj Kristal also from my list of scooters. How about the TVS Pep?

4. What is Access 125? have not heard of this one.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:08   #372
BHPian

Brianbandra,
When you removed HOnda products from the list as well as Bajaj, you are left with the only good product 'SYM Flyte'. TVS pep is also a very good product, but with no goodies as Flyte. You can also check HH pleasure, carries the same engine of Honda Activa and is smoother than Activa and reliable.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:49   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Brianbandra,
When you removed HOnda products from the list as well as Bajaj, you are left with the only good product 'SYM Flyte'. TVS pep is also a very good product, but with no goodies as Flyte. You can also check HH pleasure, carries the same engine of Honda Activa and is smoother than Activa and reliable.
I second what Ravi says!
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:59   #374
BHPian

thanks pals
will ask my "better half" to see what she likes best between the sym flyte, tvs pep & hero honda pleasure. will come back here in a few days time & report!
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:50   #375
BHPian

Default suspension

the newer 125cc scooters, access & flyte, have telescopic front suspension which is anyday better than older linktype suspensions. this is one of several advantages offered by these, so I suggest you do not go for pleasure or pep.

by the way, access is from suzuki.

among access and flyte, i feel flyte is better and priced better too, with a longer warranty. however i guess your better half can decide which she prefers. access is a little faster than flyte but flyte handles much better.
Closed Thread