Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2008, 16:57   #511
BHPian

well flyte is basically the sym xpro which is sold all over the world so it is a tested and proven vehicle in terms of engine, design, overall engineering etc
Old 14th March 2008, 18:04   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
In fact, I believe flyte are selling only because Honda is/was complacent and didn't bother adding some smart features to their scooters.
What do you mean by "Honda is/was complacent and didn't bother adding some smart features to their scooters"? Which smart features are you talking about? Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Though I own flyte, I am very skeptical how it would behave after 25k or so. I have long relationship with a guy who used to service my Shaolin - he says it is best to sell it off after 2 years because Kinetic ultimately dumps their vehicle and no spares are available. Let's see, or else I'd be selling my Flyte in Diwali 2009 and buy something more reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilbakshi View Post
well flyte is basically the sym xpro which is sold all over the world so it is a tested and proven vehicle in terms of engine, design, overall engineering etc
Well if that is the case, then I do not think Kinetic will dump the vehicle after 2 yrs!
Old 14th March 2008, 21:55   #513
BHPian

oh the flyte has several convenience features & tech lacking in the activa/dio/pleasure/pep..

some are:

front fueling
huge storage
telescopic front suspension
mobile charger
9 Ah battery
central locking
antitheft magnetic key
impact resistant mirrors
zapper tyres
125cc engine with secondary injection

also pioneers 3 year warranty
handling is awesome
& good value for money price
Old 14th March 2008, 22:11   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I am sorry, but I do not agree with that. I would say that is the best consensus you can get.

Go to a road side mechanic and ask him, if you want to buy a used gear less vehicle which one he would suggest. I am sure, 7/10 times, they will reply "Activa"!
i never argued about what the local mechanic might say, all i said was that it can change easily tmro.

going a bit ot to justify my comment, , my friends and i did an experiment of taking our vehicles with a problem "created" in the vehicle by ourselves to local mechanics and push it to the garage. to our amazement we noticed that we would have been ripped off if we genuinely had the problem. we have tried this 7 times at 7 different local garages, and only 3 honestly fixed the problem, the rest suggested that we change the cdi, the ht coil, the plug etc. what we had actually done was loosen the cdi wire socket and push the vehicle to a selected local garage.

i do not hate them for it but just made me understand them better. but am sure that there are cases of very pleasant long term experiences at local garages.
Old 15th March 2008, 02:36   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I am sorry, but I do not agree with that. I would say that is the best consensus you can get.

Go to a road side mechanic and ask him, if you want to buy a used gear less vehicle which one he would suggest. I am sure, 7/10 times, they will reply "Activa"!
I second that.
Build a rapport with any aftermarket service guy, ask him about which automatic scooter to go for.
He's boldly suggest Activa. Ask how Kinetic is and he'll say quality is crap.

I dont like the autorised service centres, they over charge and i hate wasting money, my kine has been serviced at with the same after market guy for the last 12 years. the bike is in top condition, still zips like a rocket.
Old 15th March 2008, 02:58   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
oh the flyte has several convenience features & tech lacking in the activa/dio/pleasure/pep..

some are:

also pioneers 3 year warranty
handling is awesome
& good value for money price
A break up.

front fueling
-> advantage. But a 5 litre tank. Fuel meter is erratic.(even the luna had front fuelling)
huge storage-> you still cant fit a a school bag or a helmet a some of other stuff in at once, in any bike. if a helmet fits its enough.
telescopic front suspension-> Def better ride on these. but in low speeds doesnt make a lot of difference, not to mention how the telescopes sink in when one hits the break hard. Also the other suspenstion works, its not like this bike has one and those dont have it.
mobile charger-> would you really leave ur mobile for the bumps and unattended while driving? i wouldnt.
9 Ah battery->Do you need to run an AC? i thought only a squeaky horn, self, and indicators run on the battery. What ever the standard battery is right now, does the job very well, I've even got a 2 FIAMM trumpet horns with a cut out on my kine, the battery lasts 2-2 1/2 years even with that.
central locking-No Kind of security works for 2 wheelers, if someone wants to steal it they's dismantle it and take it. What about a hand brake?
antitheft magnetic key-They still can lift it and take it away.
impact resistant mirrors-> thats def good to have.
zapper tyres-> broader tyres lesser mileage, direct function.
125cc engine with secondary injection-> 23 CC more power. thats not a big deal of difference. dunt know about the other two, activa & dio's engine is super smooth, torquey & highly reliable.
Some people have reported braking to be a problem with the flyte.
And Flyte, pep are scooterettes while activa and dio are scooters.

So there are advantages,I completely agree.but none that are strong enough even put together to make a deciding factor.

3 Year warranty is good but have ya read the terms and condtions so as to know what is covered in the warranty after the first year. that is notorious stuff. a Clause says " any electrical part" or "any moving mechanical part" (eg bearing) is not covered..so what does one do?
And one more piece of information for you. Warranty is not something gifted by the company, its sold to you. It's included in the basic price of any goods being sold with the feature.
If it had a year warranty it would def have had a lesser price.

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th March 2008 at 03:15. Reason: Reducing the quoted text body
Old 15th March 2008, 10:36   #517
BHPian

We find the Flyte to be highly convenient to use, and rides very well..

- My wife really appreciates the convenience of front fueling - also that it opens by turning a key so u do not have to fumble with the petrol tank cover etc. not having petrol tank located underseat helps also in that no chance of petrol spilling over into underseat box (which is nicely lit by the way, and useful at nighttime).

- maybe its the 9Ah battery but the flyte starts easily everytime, even if not used for 3-4 days. this is great for samira as she hates kickstarting
- central locking, antitheft key is cool to have
- mobile charger works well, and there's a cubby to hold it in place while riding
- underseat storage is great, and very good to have
- mirrors - look cool
- tyres. brakes are good
- the telescopic suspension is a real blessing
- as for warranty being priced into vehicle - maybe, but the flyte is still priced really well so its ok

all in all, we are finding the flyte to be an excellent scooter with a good engine
Old 15th March 2008, 10:49   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
A break up.

front fueling-> advantage. But a 5 litre tank. Fuel meter is erratic.(even the luna had front fuelling)
huge storage-> you still cant fit a a school bag or a helmet a some of other stuff in at once, in any bike. if a helmet fits its enough.
telescopic front suspension-> Def better ride on these. but in low speeds doesnt make a lot of difference, not to mention how the telescopes sink in when one hits the break hard. Also the other suspenstion works, its not like this bike has one and those dont have it.
mobile charger-> would you really leave ur mobile for the bumps and unattended while driving? i wouldnt.
9 Ah battery->Do you need to run an AC? i thought only a squeaky horn, self, and indicators run on the battery. What ever the standard battery is right now, does the job very well, I've even got a 2 FIAMM trumpet horns with a cut out on my kine, the battery lasts 2-2 1/2 years even with that.
central locking-No Kind of security works for 2 wheelers, if someone wants to steal it they's dismantle it and take it. What about a hand brake?
antitheft magnetic key-They still can lift it and take it away.
impact resistant mirrors-> thats def good to have.
zapper tyres-> broader tyres lesser mileage, direct function.
125cc engine with secondary injection-> 23 CC more power. thats not a big deal of difference. dunt know about the other two, activa & dio's engine is super smooth, torquey & highly reliable.
Some people have reported braking to be a problem with the flyte.
And Flyte, pep are scooterettes while activa and dio are scooters.

So there are advantages,I completely agree.but none that are strong enough even put together to make a deciding factor.

3 Year warranty is good but have ya read the terms and condtions so as to know what is covered in the warranty after the first year. that is notorious stuff. a Clause says " any electrical part" or "any moving mechanical part" (eg bearing) is not covered..so what does one do?
And one more piece of information for you. Warranty is not something gifted by the company, its sold to you. It's included in the basic price of any goods being sold with the feature.
If it had a year warranty it would def have had a lesser price.
May be you can brush aside all these +ves. Just engine and basic chasis is enough to ride a bike, does this mean you do not want any features that makes the ride much comfortable? My wife is very comfortable and is very 'happy' with Flyte than an Activa. All these make a 'lot' of difference. Ride a flyte and activa for some time, then you will know.

Assume an Activa with all the above features that Flyte has, what do you say?
Old 15th March 2008, 10:54   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
The Aviator has a few of them.
The point of the post was that just a few of these are not things that are gonna fail one in the long run.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:06   #520
BHPian

Quote:
May be you can brush aside all these +ves. Just engine and basic chasis is enough to ride a bike, does this mean you do not want any features that makes the ride much comfortable? My wife is very comfortable and is very 'happy' with Flyte than an Activa. All these make a 'lot' of difference. Ride a flyte and activa for some time, then you will know.

a hardcore honda fan will always be by the honda because its a honda, thats all. if honda provided 3 year warranty with the activa it will be praised to high heaven. but when another manuf provides it then the issue of fine print and terms and conditions come into play.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:25   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
a hardcore honda fan will always be by the honda because its a honda, thats all. if honda provided 3 year warranty with the activa it will be praised to high heaven. but when another manuf provides it then the issue of fine print and terms and conditions come into play.
Fine print is what matters.
I'm no fan of any two wheeler brand, just the JAWA mebbe.
I do Critique most things though.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:43   #522
BHPian

Default well said!

[quote=ravi@64bhp;759212]May be you can brush aside all these +ves. Just engine and basic chasis is enough to ride a bike, does this mean you do not want any features that makes the ride much comfortable? My wife is very comfortable and is very 'happy' with Flyte than an Activa. All these make a 'lot' of difference. Ride a flyte and activa for some time, then you will know.

=quote]

well said!
i also think that 23cc increase is almost 25% extra power so obviously its not insignificant!
Old 15th March 2008, 14:35   #523
BHPian

Yeah yeah, what ever.

One thing I forgot to add.
9 Ah battery->If its one of a kind it would be difficult to procure in the long run.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:39   #524
BHPian

[quote=archie;759259]
Quote:

=quote]

well said!
i also think that 23cc increase is almost 25% extra power so obviously its not insignificant!
Archie,
Though the engine is 23cc extra, the extra power is not transformed into any gain in pickup. In Flyte, the extra 23 cc is contributing to only top speed which is 84 kmph.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:48   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Front fueling ->I know for a fact that this is the single most important convenience feature on any gearless scoot. Especially for ladies. Gr8 wok by SYM.

Huge storage -> its not HUGE, its marginally better than Dio.

Telescopic front suspension -> This is a good feature but two telescopic setups can have huge difference in performance depending the quality of engineering that goes into it.

Mobile charger -> Useless feature

9 Ah battery -> I have this battery on my GF. It costs Rs. 1600+ to replace while any normal battery can be bought for ~Rs. 800+.

Central locking -> Not sure what is this means. Dio also has single key for all locks.

Antitheft magnetic key -> This looks like useful feature but its going to be very difficult to obtain an duplicate of such a key.

Impact resistant mirrors -> Has anybody tested how impact resistant these are? They look very plasticy to me.

Zapper tyres -> Dio has puncture resistant tires which is a much more useful feature.

125cc engine with secondary injection -> 125cc is good but whats secondary injection? how does it add any value for the end user?

Also pioneers 3 year warranty -> Good. But warranty terms can be diceptive.

Handling is awesome -> At what speed have you tested? This is an important feedback. If handling is really that good then it indicates that the overall engineering standards are good.

& good value for money price -> Agreed. After sales service is to be seen
Closed Thread