Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 15th April 2008, 23:01   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
in past i had corresponded with kinetic through an email address... i think it is jane@kineticindia.com and they had been prompt to respond.
try that
Yup! Mail to this address, and you will get a prompt response. I have tried twice when I had Blaze, and I got very prompt response, and everything has been taken care of to my satisfaction.
Old 16th April 2008, 09:15   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post

And I have another interesting/frustrating update - the fuel indicator continued to show near empty till I returned home. Had just gone out to meet a friend nearby and now suddenly the fuel indicator is showing full!!!!!
Manish,

I filled the tank yesterday for the first time after the initial filling. The fuel gauge needle was in the middle range of the red marking before filling. After filling 3.5 litres, the fuel reached the brim and the filling was stopped. Surprisingly, the fuel gauge was at the same place when I turned key to the ignition position. Since I read your post yesterday, I was under the impression that these fuel gauges all are faulty. Was planning for a service center visit. But as soon as I started moving the vehicle, the gauge started moving up. I stopped and watched if it will move up to full. But no, it stopped. I moved the vehicle further, the gauge was again moving up. Like that, I rode the vehicle and made the gauge show full. After that everything fine. Switch off - gauge comes down, switch on- gauge goes up. I don't know, how all these happens. Lets wait for more surprises from the Flyte.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:11   #603
BHPian

manish - i think if its some inconsistency that resolves itself i suggest it may be better to leave it alone for some time & watch. better not to have too much fiddling anyhow.

fuel indicators are a bit bizarre. my dad has a BMW 318i and believe it or not, the indicator is unreliable. once the indicator was showing a lot of petrol, and the car just stopped on the road! we thought something is wrong with the car, called the service center; and then it turned out that the tank was empty. now we keep a consciousness about not trusting the indicator & keep filling with gas every now & then. dad doesnt want anyone fiddling too much with his beloved car so wont try too hard to get the problem fixed.
Old 16th April 2008, 10:27   #604
BHPian

hmmm we havent found any such thing.. maybe we arent lookin at the scooter that critically (though yes i ve warned samira to be careful about the fuel indicator).
man - we have been busy trying to resolve frustrating TV problems for a week!

anyway from what i remember during our brief pre-purchase survey flyte was the only scooter with the LED thingy in the dicky. nobody else even offers it (but i could be wrong about that).
Old 16th April 2008, 10:34   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
manish - i think if its some inconsistency that resolves itself i suggest it may be better to leave it alone for some time & watch. better not to have too much fiddling anyhow.
Yeah, that's what I have decide for now, there was yet another funny stuff with flyte yesterday. The indicator declined from full (I guess there is still 3+ lit fule in the bike) to a bit below half in flat 3 kms.

BTW, new Flyte has much better marked fuel guage - guess too many people complained about it & I am glad Kinetic is listening. Kinetic - please get some quality stuff from your suppliers. Dump the old suppliers for they are the ones who have tarnished your image; get strict QA norms - fuel tank replacement in 2.5 months hurts real bad!
Old 16th April 2008, 13:45   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Yes, he was helpful yesterday though was a bit surprised (and annoyed, if I interpreted his tone correctly) how we got his number. He is not looking into Flyte problems I think. ...
Hummm.. thats possible, I had called him up for issues with my GF170.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:29   #607
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa v/s Kinetic Flyte v/s Suzuki Access:

It was long due and finally last weekend, I managed to check out all three ungeared scooters myself. Here is my impression on all three:

Honda Activa:

I checked it out at Pashankar Honda on JM road. Walked in, talked with receptionist, who promptly got hold of a salesman. He walked us over to the vehicle and talked gibberish about specs and metal body and tuff up tyres, which I was least interested in. Went out for a test drive, which with all distance included, could not be more than 100 meters, i.e. full circle around the showroom. And, I am supposed to make a decision based on this. Excellent! Wife took a test drive as well.

The engine is silent (well not the most silent, but more about it later). It picks up well. Though it is bulkiest of the 3, (116 kg against 106 kg Flyte and 109 kg Access), it is not as bad when on roll. It's well tested vehicle and that is about it. Costs around 43.5K on road in Pune without side stand, foot rest and mirrors, for which you have pay extra. Hmm...typical Honda way?

Kinetic Flyte:

Moved on to Kinetic Flyte showroom on Law College Road. It is all dusty and old vehicles lined up in front of showroom. Something, which can immediately put off anyone. Anyway, the salesman was polite and cooperative than Honda. Surprise! He also knew about competition well.

Took a test ride and so did wifey. Without doubt, it was the best engine among the three. It was smoooth, more refined than Honda/Suzuki (sounds funny but true). Handling is good as well and so is suspension.

But, there are things to put you off. First, Kinetic! If there is any company more notorious than Fiat in Indian automobile world, it has to be Kinetic. And it shows on the otherwise excellent scooter. The plastic side guards look really cheap (not body colored) and so does the console plastic. The mirrors are supposedly better than Activa and Access, but fit and finish is really poor. Doesn't have tuff-up tyres. Because of front nose, it looks more like scooterette than big hearted scooter. Doesn't have mudguard for front wheel, which didn't look so nice to me.

It costs something around 42K on road.

Suzuki Access:

Finally went to Kothrud Suzuki. It's nice spacious new showroom, which was welcome change after Kinetic show room (btw, it is company owned). Immediately liked the vehicle on display. By far, it is the best looker among the three.

Took test rides again and it came out as excellent all rounder, which is also the most expensive among the lot (around 46K). It looks good, feels good to ride. Have excellent suspension. It is close to Flyte in refinement, but built quality is far better. I felt it is even better than time tested Activa. It looks like Activa, but has fibre body against metal body of Activa.

Both Flyte and Access are supposed to deliver around 42-45 kmpl in City, while Activa is claimed to return 40 kmpl.

In nutshell, Activa is time tested performer and offers excellent peace of mind. It is most dated among three and has least powerful engine. Flyte appears to be well designed vehicle, which unfortunately doesn't feel as well put together, thanks to Kinetic! Suzuki Access can be a real winner, but long waiting period (3 months) coupled with highest cost play against it.

I am still not decided which way to go. Wife is more inclined towards Flyte (I liked it too other than it's a Kinetic and black plastic side skirting). I liked Flyte and Access more than Activa, may be it's just fascination for dark horses (remember, I own a Fiat )

But, at the moment, I am again back to square one, that is "undecided".

Last edited by RX135 : 6th May 2008 at 01:37.
Old 6th May 2008, 08:49   #608
BHPian

RX135,
My guess is, you will end up buying Flyte (you can prove me wrong). Activa is a boring old fox with primitive suspension. I do not think you would prefer it. Access, it is really good but you have to wait for minimum of 60 days. Moreover, your wife liked Flyte (samecase with me and others who bought Flyte on this thread). U also liked Flyte, but Kinetic tag. My wife has been using the flyte for the past 5 months without any problems.

I do not understand how come you missed the Honda Aviator. It is the real competitor to Access and Flyte than Activa. If you have not checked this already, you better check this once.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:36   #609
BHPian

Our Flyte (yeah, another one succumbed to wife pressure) gives mere 35-37 kmpl these days and showroom guy says that's as good as it gets!! :(

We had problems with fuel tank, and ever since it is (supposedly) replaced, the fuel meter is acting funny - and the fuel gets over in flat 15-16 kms from half way mark on the fuel meter. Since the tank itself is small, can't put lot of fuel in it, so end up fueling every alternate day. (My wife drives 40-50 kms a day).

I would suggest you can go for Access (the wait was main deterrent for us as well), or consider Aviator.
Old 6th May 2008, 11:55   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Because of front nose, it looks more like scooterette than big hearted scooter. Doesn't have mudguard for front wheel, which didn't look so nice to me.
Yep. It is a scooterette, and is targeted at women.

Activa's engine is very reliable one, but you should avoid that one and look at the Aviator.

I found the ACCESS to be zippy, more zippy than the flyte, but then two priorities hit me. One, i wouldn't be in any race specially when the traffic restricts my speed to 70-80 the second being boot space, not the underseat space but the more functional front boot activa has that, does make sence to me to openeing the seat to fuel up once in the day, but getting off every time to put stuff in doesnt make sence. The old kine beats all, it has a basket and a boot. so, i decided on the Activa staying on, roads in the city are not that bad these days, nor is the driving speed too high so the suspension does OK.

What you should do is check out this month's issue of the auto mags, one of them has a Aviator Vs Flyte Vs Access review. IT should be of some help. Their conclusion, though, was strongly favoring the aviator.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:03   #611
BHPian

Default flyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
RX135,
My guess is, you will end up buying Flyte (you can prove me wrong). .
It appears that women definitely prefer the flyte over activa/access etc.
I think its a combination of convenience like front fueler, storage; and easy handling.

Our flyte has done very well since purchase dont have any complaints & getting mileage of 45 or so consistently. ya the fuel indicator is a bit untrustworthy but i've heard that the newer flytes are better marked in this regard.

I quite like the no-front mudguard look actually. its more contemporary styling in my personal opinion. Here in Mumbai Kinetic service is good and kinetic scooters are popular.

Anyway, best of luck with your search for the right scooter for you & family.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:37   #612
Senior - BHPian

Aviator is ruled out since this scooter will be used by wife and not me, and seat height is one main factor. BTW, I found looks of Aviator pretty weird and it may attract other's looks for its weird styling than for handsome new age styling (strictly personal opinion) . Anyway, I prefer my RX over all these and I'll stick with it

I did not like finish of Flyte compared to other two, especially that black colored plastic skirting/cladding (whatever it is called) all around. They should have made it body colored. Flyte probably will look best in black color.

With terrible experience with Kinetic quality, I am still skeptical about it.
Old 6th May 2008, 13:07   #613
BHPian

RX135, Did you find what is the waiting period for Suzuki Access?? If you are comfortable with Access, close your eyes and go ahead with it, you will not regret. If only your wife is going to use the bike, I will suggest you Flyte.

At first, I also thought the looks of Aviator are weird, but slowly I started feeling comfortable with the looks of it now. Though the hight of Aviator is a bit raised, my wife did take a test ride two days back and felt very comfortable (she is 5'5"). One of our relatives is getting this scooter this Wednesday. Will give the test report in a week.

@Manish, my Flyte is giving almost the same mileage 38-40 in city with pillion (my wife is going with her colleague). I think we cannot get any better than this and we are comfortable with the mileage (of course, not satisfied). I have seen many people getting 40 kmpl from Activa in city conditions.
Old 6th May 2008, 13:16   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
RX135, Did you find what is the waiting period for Suzuki Access?? If you are comfortable with Access, close your eyes and go ahead with it, you will not regret. If only your wife is going to use the bike, I will suggest you Flyte.
At the moment, it is around 3 months. However, the dealer thinks that it will reduce to 1.5 month as they scale up production. Activa has wait for 35-40 days, Dio around 30 days. You can get Flyte in 2 days.

I'll not be making the decision (only try to influence :-) ), since it will be used mainly by wife.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:03   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
At the moment, it is around 3 months. However, the dealer thinks that it will reduce to 1.5 month as they scale up production. Activa has wait for 35-40 days, Dio around 30 days. You can get Flyte in 2 days.

I'll not be making the decision (only try to influence :-) ), since it will be used mainly by wife.
Then I guarantee, you will end up buing Flyte.
Closed Thread