Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2010, 12:38   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Angry Honda Activa - first service due

Guys,

The first service of my Honda Activa is due tomorrow, what do I expect to be done in the first service.
A couple of issue I will pointing out is
1) The seat lock arrangment is slightly malfunctioning, it does not close with a click but has to be pressed hard. I will asking for a replacement no servicing. Does it sound OK?
2) The front guard is rattling, I suppose some screws must have come loose.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:56   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

The first service of my Honda Activa is due tomorrow, what do I expect to be done in the first service.
1) The seat lock arrangment is slightly malfunctioning, it does not close with a click but has to be pressed hard. I will asking for a replacement no servicing. Does it sound OK?
General service will include oil & oil filter change, brake check, general check of the working of the vehicle, wash and sometimes polish.

Get the seat lock replaced as it will be safer than tinkering with the same lock to adjust it. In case its just a matter of misalignment of the lock then the same can be set to the proper position to lock.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:04   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Question 2005 Honda Dio, 16K Kms done - Need help/advice on shock absorber Change/upgrade

Dear Honda Scooter Afficianado's

I gifted a new Dio to my wife (then GF) back in mid 2005. It has done 16K Kms till date, strictly inside Bangalore City traffic. All serices done on time, and nothing major issues with it. It is a perfect - fill it - shut it - forget it usage. You can see it with the limited Kms put in the Odo.

Off late, wife is complaining of a harsh ride and I checked it out. Looks like both the shock's are dead for good. I want to upgrade the shocks to a new one, preferbly some modded ones (air-canister one?) to improve the ride.

Also, the tyres are still OE and the thread looks OK on them, but I get a fish-tail feeling under heavy braking. Are the OE tyres beyond their prime. I see a zillion tiny cracks on the rubber. This scooter has seen 5 years of SUN-RAIN and all kinds of abuse thrown at it. Never parked in the shade!!

Could a case of worn out rubber cause a harsh ride?

Guys - please give some ideas. I intend to change the tyres and shocks set. I need some new ideas to make the ride a smoother one.
Old 8th May 2010, 14:54   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Good. I think they charge 2% extra if you are paying by credit card. And you have indicated the extra accessories which you require to be fitted on the vehicle ?

yea, that's true. They wanted to charge me 2% extra when I mentioned about payong by credit card. So, i decided to pay by cheque.
I already mentioned about the ccessories that I wanted to be fitted on the scooter. As said before, the sales man was never interested in explaining the details about accessories. All that he was doing is adding the cost of the accessories using his calculator evry time I select an accessory. Every time I visit this showroom I feel like cancelling my order and run away from those people who are blissfully ignorant about sales manners.

By the way, it looks to me that HMSI also work hand-in-hand with its dealers in exploiting customers. The only response I got for my complaint/feedback about the bad sales experence was just an acknowledgement. Looks like both the parties are falling short of a stinker from me.

Has anybody here tried contacting HMSI for any issues? What was the experience like?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:05   #1130
BHPian

Default Booked a red Aviator DLX today

I went to the Dream Honda dealership today to have a look at the activa and aviator. Somehow, some features of the aviator and the design of the activa seem to be the ideal option but we are forced to make a choice. Chose the aviator because of the telescopic suspension and disc brakes. The salesman promised me delivery in 10-15 days as the consignment has just left the factory today ! The wait time for Activa, if they do not have the color you want in stock, was quoted at 45 days.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:28   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Guys,

Completed the first service at Vihaan Honda, Thane. The odo till the first service read 155 and getting a mileage of 31 kmpl, the speed maintained till the first service was 40-45 kmph.
The issues sorted out during the first service
1) Seat lock arrangement - Alignment done with greasing, now closes with a snap.
2) Front guard rattling - Attended, now no rattling
3) The left brake was slightly loose, got it tightened.

The engine oil was replaced and costed Rs 145/-, I thought this should have been taken care by Honda as it was a free service. Surely the amount was not that huge for Honda.
The engine after service feels more smoother, the brakes are good and the vehicle handles nicely. As per SA the engine can now be revved up to 60kmph and a mileage of 40-42 kmpl can be expected. The suspensions are still a bit stiff and the vehicle rolls when taken through small potholes.
Overall a good experience.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:42   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
yea, that's true. They wanted to charge me 2% extra when I mentioned about payong by credit card. So, i decided to pay by cheque.
I already mentioned about the ccessories that I wanted to be fitted on the scooter. As said before, the sales man was never interested in explaining the details about accessories. All that he was doing is adding the cost of the accessories using his calculator evry time I select an accessory. Every time I visit this showroom I feel like cancelling my order and run away from those people who are blissfully ignorant about sales manners.

By the way, it looks to me that HMSI also work hand-in-hand with its dealers in exploiting customers. The only response I got for my complaint/feedback about the bad sales experence was just an acknowledgement. Looks like both the parties are falling short of a stinker from me.

Has anybody here tried contacting HMSI for any issues? What was the experience like?

My original booking was with Silicon Honda, RV road. Since they were not too interested in selling / interacting with the customer, i decided to check with other dealers.

I went alongwith Saphire because they had the colour which i wanted and delivered the vehicle within 4 days of making the payment. But again as you pointed out, it appeared as though the sales team were only interested in adding customers for achievement of their sales target.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:44   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed the first service at Vihaan Honda, Thane.
The engine oil was replaced and costed Rs 145/-, I thought this should have been taken care by Honda as it was a free service. Surely the amount was not that huge for Honda.
The suspensions are still a bit stiff and the vehicle rolls when taken through small potholes.
Overall a good experience.
The engine oil will always be charged to you. They will not include labour charges during the 4 free services. But any parts/consumables used will be charged.

Regarding the suspension, ask the SC or a local mechanic to grease the shocks and it should be better. Also once you clock few more kms, it would get better.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:59   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The engine oil will always be charged to you. They will not include labour charges during the 4 free services. But any parts/consumables used will be charged.
Regarding the suspension, ask the SC or a local mechanic to grease the shocks and it should be better. Also once you clock few more kms, it would get better.
You are right, the service Manager confirmed the same. Actually the same is written in extremely small font on the service coupon. Guess I failed to see the finer print.
When I asked the SA to let me have a look at the oil replaced, he said they have thrown away the oil. I gues it must be thrown in the recycle drum so that it can be used elsewhere. No arguments done this time.
Also the service record handed over to me just said that first service done, oil charged. No name of the service advisor, no details of vehicle entry and delivery time. I could see no professionalism on the part of Honda.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:07   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I asked the SA to let me have a look at the oil replaced, he said they have thrown away the oil. I gues it must be thrown in the recycle drum so that it can be used elsewhere. No arguments done this time.
Also the service record handed over to me just said that first service done, oil charged. No name of the service advisor, no details of vehicle entry and delivery time. I could see no professionalism on the part of Honda.
Normally they use the oil drained to lubricate the chains of other bikes.

The service record should contain the Kms at which the service happened and the date for your reference as well as the SC. If these are there then you dont have to worry much. Generally the SA name will be gibberish in the record. Its hard to decode it.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:37   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post

I dropped an email to customer-care at HMSI site when delivery for my Activa was delayed beyond the timelines promised by the dealer. Further, I was also not happy with dealer's attitude. I received a call in couple of days from HMSI & the concerned person ensured that I got my scooter without further delay.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:41   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2389 View Post
I dropped an email to customer-care at HMSI site when delivery for my Activa was delayed beyond the timelines promised by the dealer. Further, I was also not happy with dealer's attitude. I received a call in couple of days from HMSI & the concerned person ensured that I got my scooter without further delay.
Thanks for the reply.

I got my vehicle delivered yesterday, almost 10days before the commited date. I am not sure if this is due to my non-stop followup with HMSI. Not able to confirm this since I did not get any calls from them. Also, the salesman gave a better treatment on my visit to receive the scooter; not sure if hat's my perception .

Anyways, not much goof-ups encountered during the delivery. Took it home and started riding it too. Will share my experience soon with some pics attached.
Old 14th May 2010, 08:22   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Cool

@ Sunil,

Congratulations on your Dio. Put behind the worries of your buysing exp and Enjoy the vehicle and drive safely.
Even I had written a complaint on the HMSI website regarding the callous approach of the new Honda dealer in Thane who had told of 90 days waiting period for Activa. I had immediately recd a call from the Pune office and regular contact with the dealer and HMSI officials got he vehicle in 20 days instead of the proclaimed 90 days by the dealer. Now I am enjoying the ride and have completed the first service too. Past is past for me now.
Old 14th May 2010, 12:15   #1139
BHPian

@sunil,

Many congratulations to you for the new 'HONDA DIO'. Good to know that you have got the vehicle 10 days before the committed delivery date.

Happy Riding !!!
Old 15th May 2010, 23:37   #1140
BHPian

@Gholdur and @Rajesh,
Thanks for your wishes. Took a couple of rides and found the scooter to be good. Managed to take some pictures too (sorry for the picture quality; I don't consider myself as a good photogrpher ).

My initial observations are:

pros

- The scooter has a spacious seat so that me, wifey and my kid- all can sit on it comfortably

- Has a decent seating hight and good ground clearance too

- The storage space under the seat is spacious enough; my full face helmet goes in easily

-the engine sound nice and pulls great

cons

- The ride is a bit rough; the suspension seem to be hard

-braking distance seem to be a bit more at higher speeds

-cold engine self start is a bit tricky. I saw the recommendation in the owners manual to use the choke for cold engine starts; tried the same - it starts instantly with the choke lever pulled-out. But the engine goes off within 5-6 seconds after the choke lever is pushed back to its normal position . If I try to start the cold engine without the choke activated, it doesnt start. So I have to try starting it a couple of times with the help of choke and once the engine got warm enough then there are no issues. For example, after riding for 500 meters, if I try to switch off the engine and try to start again, it starts instantly witjout using the choke. Not sure if it is a normal behavior - any comments?

- The rear view mirrors started getting loose already. Looks like my wifey tried to adjust the mirror and end up in a comletely loose mirror. I found the spanner set in the Tools Pouch to be useful and tightended the mirror myself for the time being. Yet too see how long it will stay tight.

-there is no storage pocket in the front. Scooty, Pleasure etc have one small pocket in the front (near the ignition key area) where you can put a small bottle of water or a small folder with papers. I found the front storage box accessory offered by honda not useful (my friend who got it fitted on his Dio confirmed that you can't put any stuff inside due to its small size and closed shape). The other metal pocket accessory is too big (if I fit one then, my son can't stand in the area in front of the seat as it takes a lot of space). What's the way out? How are you guys managing this need? All suggestions are welcome...

Overall I am satisfied with my buy; but thought of clarifying the above 'cons' too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-front-vew.jpg  

Last edited by sunil_k_u : 15th May 2010 at 23:54. Reason: oops typos; corrected the ones I noticed..!
Closed Thread