Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2010, 23:43   #1141
BHPian

one more pic below. I noticed the maximum file size only when it did not get attached last time, so reduced the file size and attaching it again.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-side-view1.jpg  

Last edited by sunil_k_u : 15th May 2010 at 23:48. Reason: to add attachment and correct typos in the text.
Old 16th May 2010, 20:10   #1142
BHPian

Sunil K > Sell the DIO & buy an AVIATOR all ur worries are rectified in it
Old 17th May 2010, 13:50   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Sunil K > Sell the DIO & buy an AVIATOR all ur worries are rectified in it
Too late.. He already has a new Dio so this advice is not of much use.

Sunil, replies for the cons part below:

1. Suspension evens out with a few hundred kms on the odo. But dont expect a sea of change. Its a leading link suspension which is always inferior in ride quality compared to the telescopic suspension found in Aviator, Access, Flyte, and all the geared bikes. It will get a bit smoother on use.

2. Get the brakes checked at the SVC. Normally, they will not keep it too tight till the first service. Still get it checked.

3. Use the choke and use kick start for the first time in the morning. Idle for 10-15 seconds with choke. Then push it back to normal position. This has been working for our 14 months old dio perfectly. Worth a try.

4. RVM getting loose is an inherent problem. I usually get it tightened at my local mech who handles my RTR for free and it stays put for nearly 1.5 months at a time. No fix found for this yet.

5. Wife uses the under seat storage only. And good you did not opt for the storage box from honda as its a waste of money.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:15   #1144
BHPian

Ditto to what abhinav has written. My experiences with DIO are as listed below :

a) Kick start function with choke opened does not start my vehicle all the times. I need to opt for the push button start system only. This is a problem area for me and i need to get that problem across to the service guys when i go for my next service.

b) Ride quality is good, but i also felt suspension could be a little better.
c) I found the braking OK, but i generally do not exceed 40-50 kmph on the DIO.
d) I have also not opted for any additional fitment like 'Dicky box' or 'basket'.

My wife has a TVS scooty also and my observation is the kick start option in the Scooty is easier than the DIO. To put it simply, my wife finds it easy to kick start the Scooty, but she is not able to kick start the DIO.

I also felt the horn is a bit weak in the DIO when u compare with other contemporary bikes.
Old 17th May 2010, 21:37   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

My wife has a TVS scooty also and my observation is the kick start option in the Scooty is easier than the DIO. To put it simply, my wife finds it easy to kick start the Scooty, but she is not able to kick start the DIO.

I also felt the horn is a bit weak in the DIO when u compare with other contemporary bikes.
During delivery the mechanic who cleans the vehicle before handing it over displayed the right technique to be used to kick start the Dio. I remember him saying that its not like other scoots and will be difficult if you try it any other way. Now i did not believe that but still my wife finds it easy to kick it the way the mechanic demonstrated. One advantage of taking the wife along for delivery of a vehicle which will be used by her mostly.

Horn is another weak point i forgot to mention but its better than our Flyte which will not even scare a mouse

BTW, are you having issues with your RVM getting loose every couple of weeks??
Old 18th May 2010, 13:27   #1146
BHPian

Hi Abhinav,

Yes, i do have the issue of the mirror, but it is always the LHM which will become loose. I use the spanner in the tools set and tighten the same whenever the mirror gets loose.

I need to check with the mechanic during my next service on an easier technique for kick starting.

Lights are also an issue, don't u feel the need for a upgrade with a higher rating bulb ?
Old 18th May 2010, 16:12   #1147
Senior - BHPian

@ Sunil,

I share the same thoughts. My wife's Dio got delivered in March (Same color) and with in weeks, the mirrors had gone loose. I fixed them on my own.

Secondly, it seems cold start is an issue with Dio as I too faced the same problem as yours; This red bull doesnt start/move without giving choke.

PS: I see that you have a crash gaurd on the front mudguard! Its not available in Mumbai but only the round guard.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:28   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,
The first service of my Honda Activa is due tomorrow, what do I expect to be done in the first service.
A couple of issue I will pointing out is

2) The front guard is rattling, I suppose some screws must have come loose.

Same issue i had with my Aviator DLX, Plus some sparking type noise from rear. First Service is over. First Service cost me Rs 225.

Rear noise still there (in 60-70 plus kmph speed)
Old 18th May 2010, 16:57   #1149
BHPian

@abhinav and @Rajesh KR
Thanks for the comments on the points that I had raised.

- as you guys mentioned about the suspension getting soft after the run-in period - I will wait, in that case.

- getting the brakes checked during the first service is one of my top priorities.

- as suggested by you, I tried the kick start option with the choke enabled. It worked fine for me. I had a look at the owner's manual before trying it out and noticed that, they suggested to keep the scooter on center stand, lock the rear brakes and then kick-start it. I did the same and it worked. The 15 seconds choke technique worked like a charm - thanks abhinav .

Now, I know that the TVS scooty which I used to ride often can be kick-started without putting it on the center stand, that too with a light kick. I tried this on the Dio and noticed that the kicker movement is obstructed by the center stand. But, if the Dio is put on center stand - kick start is very easy.

@Rajesh - Are you trying to kick-start the Dio while the scooter is on center stand too?

- I started using the storage space below the seat extensively now a days and found it to be very useful; it has a bigger storage area than it appears to be. And yes, everyone confirms that he front storage box accessory is almost 'useless' .

- Me too felt that the horn is a bit weak; but it is able to do its job - that's my finding- I see people moving away from my way when I blow it.

- about the RVM: I had tightened it last week using the spanner set in the Honda tool-kit and it is staying tight so far.

- yet to ride in a dark night and will get back with my opinion about the head light.

Overall, the bike is doing it job, pretty well too. By the way, did this thread suddenly became a Dio thread? Never mind, I guess this is the only thread available for gear-less scooters. Moderators to comment please..
Old 18th May 2010, 17:43   #1150
BHPian

@sunil - yes definitely kick starting is being tried out with vehicle firmly sitting on centre stand & choke in open position.

Yes, last few posts are about sharing prolems / info / solutions by the DIO community !!
Old 18th May 2010, 18:46   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
@ Sunil,

I share the same thoughts. My wife's Dio got delivered in March (Same color) and with in weeks, the mirrors had gone loose. I fixed them on my own.

Secondly, it seems cold start is an issue with Dio as I too faced the same problem as yours; This red bull doesnt start/move without giving choke.

PS: I see that you have a crash gaurd on the front mudguard! Its not available in Mumbai but only the round guard.

Rightly said about the cold start.. and experienced by many others here too. However, I am surprised at the instant start-and reasdy to go nature of the bike once the engine is warm. However, the technique suggested by abhinav (kick-start the engine with choke enabled and leave the choke enabled for 15 seconds for the engine to warm-up) is working perfect for me .

By the way, the accessory name for the crash guard on the front mud guard seems to be 'fender guard' in Honda accessory list. I hard opted for two 'guards'. One is the body crash guard - the one that is around the body of the scooter. The second one was the fender guard - the one around front mud guard. In Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic it sells with every Dio probably, so the dealer stocks it here - my wild guess.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:05   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning for a scooter, either the Aviator or Activa to replace my aging HH Ambition. Use is just for quick runs to the gym, small shopping, school pickup etc. Not bothered about mileage, must be easy to ride, comfortable and low maintainence. I am short, only 5"3. I use the Helmet if I am riding anywhere beyond 1 km. So would be great to leave the helmet on the scooter itself.

Which of the two would work for me? How does the Pleasure compare considering it has a similar engine? It seems to be a lot cheaper. What is missing?

Hows the current waiting periods? Will I get delivery preference if full cash is paid?
Old 19th May 2010, 00:56   #1153
BHPian

why dont you check out the mahindra rodeo?
Old 19th May 2010, 01:17   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Use is just for quick runs to the gym, small shopping, school pickup etc. Not bothered about mileage, must be easy to ride,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
why dont you check out the mahindra rodeo?
+1. The big adv of Honda is the extra mileage. Otherwise Rodeo has better handling and manuverability.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:48   #1155
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to buy new Honda Activa DLX for my Dad. I have few doubts on the vehicle which the technical guys in Druvdesh honda didnt bother to explain :

1. Is the Full body of avtiva metal?all the painted parts front and sides?
2. Whats the mileage ur getting?
3. Maintainence charges ?
4. Whats the service intervals ?
5.Which dealer will give me the vehicle ASAP,as i am looking for WILD PURPLE METALLIC color?
6.If i need the registration number which adds up to 9 ,what price should i pay for the dealer?
7.What accessories should i go for? My dad uses this vehicle mostly to carry around stuff near his legspace? should i go for the front luggage box?

This is the first time experience with Honda as a product as well as the dealer.The later has been a bad experience so far.

thanks
MSVG
Closed Thread