Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 23:26   #1411
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

A couple of PDI points from me:

1) Self start- push the button. Does it start w/o any hiccup? Means battery ok. If you can pop-out the seat and check the battery- ensure it is not tampered with and dealer should give you a battery warranty card. Match that with the physical battery.

2) Start and leave the accelerator. Does motor keep spinning and idle smoothly? means tuning ok.
bj96 is offline  
Old 25th December 2010, 00:13   #1412
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
A couple of PDI points from me:

1) Self start- push the button. Does it start w/o any hiccup? Means battery ok. If you can pop-out the seat and check the battery- ensure it is not tampered with and dealer should give you a battery warranty card. Match that with the physical battery.

2) Start and leave the accelerator. Does motor keep spinning and idle smoothly? means tuning ok.
BJ, but I believe they wont put ANY fuel in the bike until just before delivery. So even if they do put in fuel , it might take some time for the electric start to work optimally.

What is the world coming to, 60 days waiting for a scooter! We are going right back to the Bajaj scooter days in the 80s.
Why is it that manufacturers can get bike supplies as per the market demand without starving the market but not the gearless scooters? Maybe its more of a marketing strategy now.
sajo is offline  
Old 25th December 2010, 07:56   #1413
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 966
Thanked: 602 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

@sajo,
it is even more over here in bangalore, 4 months for suzuki access and activa honda
And i know it is for marketing strategy only because i had first hand experience with it.
Couple of dealers whom i interacted, they were ready to give the scooter if i go for finance options where the rate of interest was too much.
It is very well organised marketing strategy to fool the consumers.
rk_sans is online now  
Old 25th December 2010, 18:17   #1414
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
And i know it is for marketing strategy only because i had first hand experience with it.
Couple of dealers whom i interacted, they were ready to give the scooter if i go for finance options where the rate of interest was too much.
It is very well organised marketing strategy to fool the consumers.
Me too had a first hand experience. I would have gotten a Honda Activa "immediately" , if I was willing to buy "accessories" worth 10k rupees from the dealer.
Needless to say, I walked away. As my scooter usage is very very very very less, (1300 kms, in 1.5 years), I bought a HH Pleasure instead. No booking required, walked in with the cash, rode out with a scooter.
sajo is offline  
Old 25th December 2010, 18:42   #1415
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Honda Dio - 1 year ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
my scooter usage is very very very very less, (1300 kms, in 1.5 years)
Looks like I have competition. Ours has run just 900kms in almost a year now. Its a Honda Dio.

It completes 1 year this december and my experience has been not very good. My wife is the primary user and I do take it out sometimes for a short ride. Our major grouse is the starting. It just doesn't start at one go. And nowadays, with the cold wave, it gives nightmares to even think of starting. Our building has another Dio and a couple of more Activas and they also complain about the starting problem. Is this a universal problem of Honda scooters?

Another issue is the ride quality. Fortunately, there are good roads in our area but the moment it encounters a rough terrain or a construction prone area, a very bad ride quality is experienced. I can say Activa offers much better ride quality and Access and HH pleasure are also quite accomplished in this area.

Apart from these 2 issues, it ticks most of the boxes. Its very agile and fast in a traffic prone situation which makes it a boon whenever we take out to long distances which is like once in a blue moon. Its just run around 900kms, so there's not much to pen down. On hindsight, may be Activa would have been better but my wife didn't feel comfortable with its slight bulk and Access wasn't much tested. Maybe Access should have been considered.

Lets see how it copes up next year.

Last edited by JVH : 25th December 2010 at 18:44.
JVH is offline  
Old 25th December 2010, 20:08   #1416
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Honda Dio - 1 year ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Looks like I have competition. Ours has run just 900kms in almost a year now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
...my scooter usage is very very very very less, (1300 kms, in 1.5 years)...
Beat this- I am about 6,800kms on my kinetic style a 2001 model, that is almost a decade now. You can imagine her plight as her main stand has buckled a bit, partly a faulty design and partly due to standing idle for months together and someone (probably security guard) made her a 'bench" when she was parked for about six months in my office.

Just to keep her loved and alive- I've replaced her rear shoe, a new Amaron battery, a new vacuum petcock and a quick tuneup, all done by myself (had posted on this thread earlier- how to service a kinetic style). Darling she is, still starts up within two cranks .

-BJ
bj96 is offline  
Old 26th December 2010, 08:49   #1417
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
As my scooter usage is very very very very less, (1300 kms, in 1.5 years), I bought a HH Pleasure instead. No booking required, walked in with the cash, rode out with a scooter.
HH Pleasure is actually a very good scooter. It has the same tried and tested Splendor engine.
Gansan is offline  
Old 27th December 2010, 09:45   #1418
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
A couple of PDI points from me:

1) Self start- push the button. Does it start w/o any hiccup? Means battery ok. If you can pop-out the seat and check the battery- ensure it is not tampered with and dealer should give you a battery warranty card. Match that with the physical battery.

2) Start and leave the accelerator. Does motor keep spinning and idle smoothly? means tuning ok.
I will keep in mind the battery warranty card point in mind. I am assuming that it is a standard practice to give that document to the buyer.
That prompts me to another question:
What are the standard documents that I should be getting from the dealer while taking delivery of Suzuki Access?
S_U_N is offline  
Old 27th December 2010, 13:02   #1419
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What are the standard documents that I should be getting from the dealer while taking delivery of Suzuki Access?
Well, first is the user Manual cum service booklet. Then there is the battery warranty card and your insurance papers at the time of delivery.


PS : Which dealer are you getting it from ? And what accessories does the (rather steep, IMHO) 53.5k price tag include ?

Quote:
HH Pleasure is actually a very good scooter. It has the same tried and tested Splendor engine.
Actually its the older Activa's engine.
sajo is offline  
Old 27th December 2010, 13:52   #1420
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Actually its the older Activa's engine.
Which itself was the same as the CD 100 / Splendor family of engines!
Gansan is offline  
Old 27th December 2010, 15:24   #1421
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Well, first is the user Manual cum service booklet. Then there is the battery warranty card and your insurance papers at the time of delivery.


PS : Which dealer are you getting it from ? And what accessories does the (rather steep, IMHO) 53.5k price tag include ?

Accessories cost roughly Rs. 3000, AFAIK.
There is quite a lot of accessories that were mentioned when I had gone for purchase. To be honest, I don't remember most of the names, but should be able to identify them with the demo scooter.
The (sub) dealer is Suraj Motors on Nagar Road.
S_U_N is offline  
Old 27th December 2010, 23:12   #1422
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,556
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Which itself was the same as the CD 100 / Splendor family of engines!
Well, thats news for me sir! Thanks for sharing.

Anybody can tell me the cure for squeaking noises from my scooter? Its like little rats reside in the wheels who start shrieking as soon as the vehicle goes over humps or brakes are applied.
sajo is offline  
Old 28th December 2010, 09:47   #1423
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Anybody can tell me the cure for squeaking noises from my scooter? Its like little rats reside in the wheels who start shrieking as soon as the vehicle goes over humps or brakes are applied.
Try with a good pressure wash under body followed by a generous spray of WD40 (or Zorrick) on the exposed parts including all the springs. Report back the results.

-BJ
bj96 is offline  
Old 29th December 2010, 09:59   #1424
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

why is that no manufacter is intrested in bringing higher CC scooters in to the market? Is yamaha not intrested in marketing scooters in India i know they have good number of models to introduce in India. Are there any plans of new arrivals in Scooter segment in this New Year?
sathyaprakash is offline  
Old 29th December 2010, 11:01   #1425
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 938
Thanked: 302 Times
Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

After waiting for 2 months for a hh pleasure the dealer yesterday asked tow ait for another month. So now even pleasure is commanding such a huge wait or is there some thing fishy here?
SPARKled is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hero announces 150cc Turbo-Diesel Scooter and Dash 110cc scooter CARDEEP Motorbikes 64 1st October 2015 10:24
Gearless scooter on rent in Bangalore? Gandhi Shifting gears 6 5th April 2010 18:58
Now that's what I call a scooter! The genuine scooter company NoMind Motorbikes 0 31st March 2009 15:07
Looking to buy a gearless scooter rascalangel Motorbikes 5 28th January 2009 15:22
Gearless scooter for my dad sathya_j2084 Motorbikes 36 27th February 2008 05:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks