Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2011, 14:35   #1441
BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Your scooter is already depriciated a lot and there is no value if you spend more and restore it because it is not rare or classic.

I suggest to sell it and buy a new one. Since you have already tried Honda, you can give suzuki a try and discover its class.

Or if you are attached to your old scooter then spend and make it as brand new and ride it as long as it is rideable.

Electric scoots are still not popular and good for single rider only.
Moreover the cost difference is not huge for initial investment.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:36   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
What i want to know is whether it is worth restoring it to stock condition or buying a new scooter. mechanically the scooter is fine. If buying new the choices are:
-Honda Aviator
-Suzuki Access
-TVS Wego
Evaluate how much you can get for your Activa if selling in as is condition. Also check how much you have to spend to restore it to stock condition with original spares. Based on this you can decide which is more profitable.

If you are going for new scoots then my choices are as above. All the scoots listed above have telescopic suspension which offers a pliant ride on bad roads and good stability at speed. Aviator and Access have also been proven to be good reliable scoots and Wego is still new but the reviews seem positive

Mahindra Rodeo is supposedly good with a few segment first features like digital odo, tacho etc. But it has a very small capacity fuel tank and mileage is a suspect. So have omitted it from the list.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 11th January 2011 at 14:38.
Old 12th January 2011, 13:21   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I recently rode my friends Honda Aviator on the same stretch of roads where I normally run my Activa and the ride difference is very noticable. May be because Aviator has a Telescopic tyep front suspension which allows smoother bumps/potholes negotiations whereas the Activa has a spring loaded hydraulic damper type suspension thereby feeding back the road condition to the rider.

Was interested in knowing whether the front suspension of the Activa can be replaced with the telescopic type suspension, would this modifictaion be possible or worth thinking about it. Would Honda entertain such a request? Pls note that the rear suspension for bothe Activa and Aviator are same.
Old 12th January 2011, 14:27   #1444
BHPian

Just spoke to one Honda dealer here and the conversation went like this :

Me : Hi, could you help me with the price of Activa on road pls.
Her : Wait...(call transferred and me put on hold)
Next guy :what sir
Me : What is the on road price of Activa
Him : Rs51361, 100 days waiting... Line cut

Dont want to go for a vehicle that comes with such high handed salesmen. Have finalized on the Wego. Currently i drive an Alto (50 km daily). Planning a gearless vehicle to cut down on travel time (Spend about 3hrs daliy driving).

Would the wego be a good choice
Old 12th January 2011, 14:34   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was interested in knowing whether the front suspension of the Activa can be replaced with the telescopic type suspension, would this modifictaion be possible or worth thinking about it. Would Honda entertain such a request?
I too was contemplating the same thing for the Dio when the Aviator was released. I checked with the Haiku Honda service center in B'lore. They were not at all interested and said it cant be done. Probably our DIY guys on T-BHP might be able to suggest if it can be done reliably. Also the cost associated might be on the higher side for such a modification..
Old 12th January 2011, 14:50   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
service center in B'lore. They were not at all interested and said it cant be done.
Exactly the same sentiments were echoed by the Honda customer care when I had written to them. They even warned me of the warranty being nullified if any such modifications are done since such a modification is untested by Honda. I had also written to the Honda dealer in Thane but still no response from them.

I guess I will have to live with the existing set up or buy Aviator or wait till a BHP expert comes with a brilliant solution.
Old 13th January 2011, 09:46   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Exactly the same sentiments were echoed by the Honda customer care when I had written to them. They even warned me of the warranty being nullified if any such modifications are done since such a modification is untested by Honda. I had also written to the Honda dealer in Thane but still no response from them.

I guess I will have to live with the existing set up or buy Aviator or wait till a BHP expert comes with a brilliant solution.
Yup, it probably would be a costly affair to get the aviator shocks installed. It'll include a lot of bodywork changes due to clearance issues. Also, one has to consider the effect on the ride dynamics.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:38   #1448
BANNED

[quote=ghodlur;2205629 If moolah is the restriction, you can try the pleasure or scooty pep+ etc.
Electric bikes - at the moment the infrastructure is not that good to support these bikes.[/quote]
Scooty Pep & Dio are out because of the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
Your scooter is already depriciated a lot and there is no value if you spend more and restore it because it is not rare or classic.
Restoration will cost me less than 10K.

Quote:
I suggest to sell it and buy a new one. Since you have already tried Honda, you can give suzuki a try and discover its class.
Problem with Suzuki is 6 months waiting

Quote:
Or if you are attached to your old scooter then spend and make it as brand new and ride it as long as it is rideable.
Not really attached to it but it has served me well

Quote:
Electric scoots are still not popular and good for single rider only.
Moreover the cost difference is not huge for initial investment.
The bike is usually used single and short runs to the market etc.

Quote:
Evaluate how much you can get for your Activa if selling in as is condition. Also check how much you have to spend to restore it to stock condition with original spares. Based on this you can decide which is more profitable.
Selling will fetch me 16K and restoration is about 10K.

[quote]If you are going for new scoots then my choices are as above. All the scoots listed above have telescopic suspension which offers a pliant ride on bad roads and good stability at speed. Aviator and Access have also been proven to be good reliable scoots and Wego is still new but the reviews seem positive[quote]
Waiting period for Access (6 months) and Aviator (3 months) is a problem. Wego and Rodeo are readily available.

Quote:
Mahindra Rodeo is supposedly good with a few segment first features like digital odo, tacho etc. But it has a very small capacity fuel tank and mileage is a suspect. So have omitted it from the list.
Looks to be a good bet. Fuel capacity is not an issue as it is mainly city use.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:34   #1449
BHPian

Quote:

Restoration will cost me less than 10K.

Decent paint job itself will cost 5-6K, then there are all plastic and rubber parts that needs replacement, tyres,tubes, battery and other essentials and finally the labour costs etc..will run over 15K I am sure.

2 weeks back at my friends garage he restored an Activa for one of his customer and it costed 14K without new battery.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:52   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
After waiting for 2 months for a hh pleasure the dealer yesterday asked tow ait for another month. So now even pleasure is commanding such a huge wait or is there some thing fishy here?
I am pretty much on track in getting my Access within the promised 45 day period here in Pune.

Are you having difficulty with Pleasure in Pune or is that in Mumbai?
Old 13th January 2011, 12:57   #1451
Senior - BHPian

SPARKled, try to see if any Pune dealer is willing to give you a bike sooner. Try United Motors on Paud Road, I got it from there without booking and they always seem to have a good stock.
Problem with them is that they didnt accept card or cheque, so I had to pay cash.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:59   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note down the Engine and Chassis number of the bike which you zero in on.
Where exactly is the engine number and chassis number on Suzuki Access?

I would be going for inspection in 2-3 days from now.
Just gearing up..
Old 13th January 2011, 13:21   #1453
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
Decent paint job itself will cost 5-6K, then there are all plastic and rubber parts that needs replacement, tyres,tubes, battery and other essentials and finally the labour costs etc..will run over 15K I am sure.

2 weeks back at my friends garage he restored an Activa for one of his customer and it costed 14K without new battery.
The paint job will cost me 4.5K. One tyre is brand new so I just need one. Mechanically the engine is sound and well maintained. No need to touch it. I'll just need to replace some rubber and plastic.
Old 13th January 2011, 13:22   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am pretty much on track in getting my Access within the promised 45 day period here in Pune.

Are you having difficulty with Pleasure in Pune or is that in Mumbai?
Access was initially my first choice but here in Mumbai where I stay the nearest service station is at Panvel which is pretty far from where I stay so gave it up. I am having difficulty in getting the Pleasure in Mumbai. Honda is not even committing a date for delivery here in Navi Mumbai.
Old 13th January 2011, 14:51   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Selling will fetch me 16K and restoration is about 10K.
Restoring it seems like a good idea as the scoot is mechanically fit. Take a call.
And also if you are going for Rodeo, ensure that it is used at least for a few kms every day. If unused, it will start giving all sorts of problems and will be a pain to restore it as the SVC skills are not consistent across cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Where exactly is the engine number and chassis number on Suzuki Access?
Not sure where it will be in the access. For the Dio and Flyte, it was on a sticker on the number plate. The same was shown to us by the showroom guy on the vehicle. Don't remember where exactly. Access owners might be able to help with this.
Closed Thread