Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 10th February 2011, 21:26   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have to choose between the three for my sister in law. Which one scores in FE, and cheap spares / maintenance ?
Acess
Activa
Fego
Honda scores in zero maintenance for the first 2 years at least. Of course except for the regular oil changes/brake pads etc. In the 1 year 8 months ownership of Dio (Approx. 9000 kms on the odo at the time of selling), we only had to spend on oil and labour charges for servicing. FE was around 35-38kmpl in city traffic with occasional ripping.

Suzuki should also be on similar lines in terms of maintenance. Cousin owns one for nearly a year and she has not reported any major issues. She is short and feels its difficult to balance the scoot and says its heavy to handle in peak traffic. She gets about 42-43kmpl in city traffic.

Wego is the newest and being a TVS i am guessing the spares will be at par or cheaper than competition. Friend bought one recently and its giving him about 40kmpl in city traffic conditions. But its still new and it might increase after a few services. He is happy with the performance for the last one month. Wego looks the smallest of the lot compared to the 3 choices of yours.

EDIT: If the scoot is going to see lot of bad roads/bumpy roads, then Wego, Access and Aviator should be shortlisted as it will be comfortable with front telescopic shock absorbers. Else Activa can stay. Also depends on the wait period in your place and if you are ready to wait for a Honda.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 10th February 2011 at 21:28.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:05   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Having test driven all of these and a few other about 6months back, though having made a very different choice in the Mahindra Rodeo, here is my opinion.

For the qualities you are looking for I would suggest the Activa, its only problem being the massive waiting list. The Access is also very good, but dont expect very good mileage due to the slightly larger 125cc engine. 42-43kmpl is pretty much the best I have heard form Access owners. Both the Wego and the Activa can nudge the 50kmpl mark on the other hand. The Wego has one strong point, that is 12-inch wheels which help immensely in terms of ride.

Dont really get worried up about spares/maintainance costs that much. All these vehicles are very reliable, and no matter what costs of spares and maintainance are, nothing to worry about unless you are wanting to save every rupee. I have been thrashing my Rodeo for the past 6-months pretty badly, and haven't had as much as a rattle. No problems at all other than the battery going bust once due to non-running for a month.

From the looks point of view the Wego looks to me the best, the Access the worst. The Activa is the best balance.

In my opinion the Activa it should be, considering you can bear the waiting period, else go in for the Wego. I think nowadays, even the Wego has a 15-30day waiting period. The only gearless scooter you can get of the shelf I think is from the Mahindra stables.

Last edited by julupani : 11th February 2011 at 08:07.
Old 11th February 2011, 08:14   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Cool Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have to choose between the three for my sister in law. Which one scores in FE, and cheap spares / maintenance ?

Acess
Activa
Fego

Performance is not a criteria, but don't want it to be totally girly since my BIL would also ride it sometimes.
If you'r mainly looking at the FE as the criteria for buying, then I can suggest Activa without any doubt although I am not too sure whether Access or Wego can match the FE of Activa. I am regularly getting 48-53 Kmpl for the city drive. Performance wise too Activa scores over others, where it fails is the ride quality since it has the spring suspension and not the telescopic ones which Wego and Access have. Maintenance of Activa is the cheapest amongst the choices.

Also if you can bear the long waiting periods of Activa, then thats the best for you or else you can try Wego which is of course a brand new launch.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:37   #1474
Senior - BHPian

I dont think performance wise, the Activa is the best. During my test drive, the Wego was much more compliant to rev hard when asked to compared to the Activa and the Access had a much better torque at the lower speeds than both of them. The Wego feels the most compact and chuckable among the three, and the Access the worst.

Forgot in my previous post, the Activa rides much worse than the pretty much all its competitors.

Again I reiterate, when average spending on maintainance will rarely hit 4-figure mark in a year, it should not be a major consideration. You wont be spending anything serious on maintainance unless you actually have an accident requiring replacement of body panels and other serious repair.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:05   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I dont think performance wise, the Activa is the best.
+1. If you are looking for 0-40kmph timings etc then Activa is not the best. And it takes a beating on the suspension front as well.

Mahindra Scoots are available off the shelf. But after having a bitter experience with a Flyte for 2.5 years, I don't dare recommend/deter buyers from it. I stay neutral about them as it all depends on the SVC in and around the area where you stay and how competent they are.
Old 12th February 2011, 07:56   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Well, I will tell you one thing about the Mahindra scoots, dont consider them just a Kinetic with a Mahindra badge. Mahindra is much more stringent about its quality. Mahindra Quality systems and methods are pretty famous among the corporates.

And I am pretty satisfied with the build quality of my Rodeo. The plastics are a bit bad, and a few parts feel a bit cheap, but the scoot is much cheaper than its competition, so I have no-complaints. But build quality is not shoddy at all. It may feel cheaper than its competition, but it is still as well built.

The only problem with the Mahindra scoots is, very difficult to get any decent mileage out of it. 40-42kmpl is pretty much tops, would require you to be pretty ginger with the throttle. I almost invariably get around 35kmpl.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:57   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Completed the 4th free service of my Activa on Saturday at 2500kms on the odo. the cost of service was 165/- due to the oil change. After the service the engine seems super smooth but the suspensions are still a big headache.

I was offered a AMC for a year costing 700/- including 4 free services. Usually each paid service would be costing in the range of 250-300/-. Would taking an AMC help since any parts or labour during the services would entitle additional costs.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:40   #1478
BHPian

Booked Activa for my mom at Dhruvdesh Honda, Yehalanka only to know the waiting period is upto 90 days. The problem is the advisor hasn't guranteed an approx date. Well i do agree with the fact that a scooter is an ideal mode for local commute for upto 50 kms.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:40   #1479
Senior - BHPian

@silverblaze

Did you actually book the Activa, ie pay a booking amount??

I ask because I had asked Honda dealers in no less than 3 different cities, and all of them said they will not accept any booking amount. They said your name and contact detail have been noted down, and a serial number been allotted. According to this number, about 20days before a delivery is possible you shall be asked to pay the booking amount of atleast 5000rupees.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:27   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
@silverblaze

I ask because I had asked Honda dealers in no less than 3 different cities, and all of them said they will not accept any booking amount. They said your name and contact detail have been noted down, and a serial number been allotted. According to this number, about 20days before a delivery is possible you shall be asked to pay the booking amount of atleast 5000rupees.
Over here in bangalore though most of the dealers are accepting an amount of 1000 bucks as an initial booking amount withought going through the formalities that you have mentioned

@members: please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:52   #1481
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Friends,

Any idea what is the frequency of getting PUC done for scooters. I own an Activa and the original PUC certificate says valid for one year. I checked in the manual and there is no mention about the same. The workshop guys say that they dont have any info on the same.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:19   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friends,

Any idea what is the frequency of getting PUC done for scooters. I own an Activa and the original PUC certificate says valid for one year. I checked in the manual and there is no mention about the same. The workshop guys say that they dont have any info on the same.
The first one is valid for a year and then one should get the PUC done at an interval of 6 months.
Old 17th February 2011, 14:37   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Over here in bangalore though most of the dealers are accepting an amount of 1000 bucks as an initial booking amount without going through the formalities that you have mentioned
In Bangalore they collect the booking amount, if you need to be on the list to get delivery of the bike. So don't worry.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:49   #1484
BHPian

What is the usual delivery time for Aviator, Wego and Access? I am looking to buy a scoot and delivery time is an important consideration (I am in a hurry).

A friend told me that the Aviator can be got in a month normally. But I have no clue on the Wego and Access scoots? Same time?

Prajwal
Old 21st February 2011, 15:11   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
The only problem with the Mahindra scoots is, very difficult to get any decent mileage out of it. 40-42kmpl is pretty much tops, would require you to be pretty ginger with the throttle. I almost invariably get around 35kmpl.
One nice thing that happened after Mahindra buying Kynetic is the dealership. I had very good experience with the service centers compared to when it was in Kinetic. Also, the number of dealers had increased and now I'm able to service my vehicle in Hosur.

Mileage is an issue, i see that my Flyte give an average of 35Kmpl no matter how well we ride it. I started noticing it very recently.

Last edited by mail4loys : 21st February 2011 at 15:12.
Closed Thread