Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 17:54   #1
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Please suggest a Comfortable City bike for me

Hello folks,

I have a Bullet Machismo 2005 which I need to sell because I will be going onsite on project deputation soon. We also have a 2002 Victor which has clocked 40k kms and we plan to sell that as well. Me and my dad use these 2 bikes and the Safari (2 of these 3 vehicles) to commute to work everyday.

Once the 2 bikes are sold, we plan to buy a reliable, rust resistant, heavy duty, self-starting bike for my dad (and for me occasionally), sometimes for both of us to travel together on very short trips (~3km).

Hence I need a bike with the following preferences:

Requirements: (must haves)
  1. Should be trouble free. (like the Splendor?)
  2. Good service backup. (unlike Honda where they dont even listen to you and you have to be in the service station at 7 AM to get a slot for service)
  3. Should have a good and reliable electric start. (unlike the Bullet electric start which is the reason why I want to sell it)
  4. Should be comfortable to drive for my dad (55 years old, 6 ft tall, 100kg) and me (a little taller and a little heavier)
Options: (good to haves)
  1. Alloy wheels (we stay 200 mtrs from the sea, hence rusting is a major concern)
  2. Price below 45k.
What we do not want:
  1. Disc brakes, might prove to be dangerous for my father.
  2. Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
I have short listed the following bikes:
  1. Super Splendor
  2. Glamour
  3. Shine
  4. Star city
  5. Discover
  6. XCD
I will be test driving them all, but need your inputs on the reliablilty, service backup and the likes.

Please direct me. Thanks.

Last edited by Proxima : 29th December 2007 at 17:56.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 18:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,956
Thanked: 16,673 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
Sporty riding position?

Your father could have uncomfort with the weight coming on the hands!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 18:47   #3
jat
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hello folks,
What we do not want:
  1. Disc brakes, might prove to be dangerous for my father.
  2. Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
?
how can disc brakes be dangerous?
and sporty driving position for old, heavy and tall person!?
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 18:49   #4
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I would recommend that you go for the Suzuki Access 125 for the following reasons ( I am considering to buy a new scoot for my dad):

1. Easy to ride, seating is awesome (wide and soft).
2. Powerful engine 125 cc 9bhp, with telescopic shocks in the front.
3. Suzuki should be reliable or else wait for the long term tests.
4. Electronic start there with kicker.
5. Access 125 can carry two people easily even on steep slopes ( I can vouch for that as I have tested the same on the 2nd test ride, Went uphill and stopped in the middle where the incline starts to go higher and stopped and started)
6. Price below 45k 44886 in Bangalore at least.
7. I am also going to test ride the Kinetic Flyte which is also a serious contender now in the scoot segment, will post the same later.

You can read more in the motorcycle threads for the scoots.

As your dad is used to riding bikes and does not want to go for scoots ( test ride the access 125 once) then I would say go for the Honda shine from your choice, thats the best bet.

Comfort is good but not as awesome as the Unicorn, if budget permits go for the Unicorn.

I would really not like to go with the other options that you have provided but still if budget is strict either the Shine or the Super Splendor.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 19:07   #5
BHPian
 
burnt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 247
Thanked: Once
Default

Considering your requirements, I think you will be better off with a scooter. (More comfortable for your father?) In the scooter department you can go for the trusted option of the Activa. But considering that you don't want a Honda, you can check out the Suzuki Access and Kinetic-Sym Flyte.


But if you insist on a bike, then from the options listed, the Glamour looks good. The Discover riding position is similar to the pulsar's and may not be comfortable for your father.

Don't go in with a prejudice on disc brakes. Your father will get used to it in no time, and it's much better and more reliable than ordinary drum brakes
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 19:12   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Increase the budget and get a Honda unicorn .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 19:36   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Dude, it depends on which segment you want. However, my suggestions on the following segments:

125cc: Honda Shine
100cc: Bajaj Platina
Scooter: Honda Dio
blue_pulsar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 21:09   #8
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sporty riding position?

Your father could have uncomfort with the weight coming on the hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
[/list]?
how can disc brakes be dangerous?
and sporty driving position for old, heavy and tall person!?
Thanks for the reply Crazy Driver and Jat.

I DID NOT WANT a sporty riding position like the RTR 160.

Dad is not comfortable with discs.

Last edited by Proxima : 29th December 2007 at 21:15.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 21:14   #9
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
I would recommend that you go for the Suzuki Access 125 for the following reasons ( I am considering to buy a new scoot for my dad):

1. Easy to ride, seating is awesome (wide and soft).
2. Powerful engine 125 cc 9bhp, with telescopic shocks in the front.
3. Suzuki should be reliable or else wait for the long term tests.
4. Electronic start there with kicker.
5. Access 125 can carry two people easily even on steep slopes ( I can vouch for that as I have tested the same on the 2nd test ride, Went uphill and stopped in the middle where the incline starts to go higher and stopped and started)
6. Price below 45k 44886 in Bangalore at least.
7. I am also going to test ride the Kinetic Flyte which is also a serious contender now in the scoot segment, will post the same later.

You can read more in the motorcycle threads for the scoots.

As your dad is used to riding bikes and does not want to go for scoots ( test ride the access 125 once) then I would say go for the Honda shine from your choice, thats the best bet.

Comfort is good but not as awesome as the Unicorn, if budget permits go for the Unicorn.

I would really not like to go with the other options that you have provided but still if budget is strict either the Shine or the Super Splendor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Considering your requirements, I think you will be better off with a scooter. (More comfortable for your father?) In the scooter department you can go for the trusted option of the Activa. But considering that you don't want a Honda, you can check out the Suzuki Access and Kinetic-Sym Flyte.


But if you insist on a bike, then from the options listed, the Glamour looks good. The Discover riding position is similar to the pulsar's and may not be comfortable for your father.

Don't go in with a prejudice on disc brakes. Your father will get used to it in no time, and it's much better and more reliable than ordinary drum brakes
Thanks for the reply guys.

I dont want a scooter. Had a LML Vespa Select button start and my dad didnt like it. Its not as stable as a bike.

I love the Unicorn's riding position but the problem is the monoshock. I dont know if it will take 2 people totalling to 200+ even for a short distance. Can someone who has subjected the Unicorn to 200+ Kgs please comment on thie?

I can stretch for a Unicorn if it is worth the price difference.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 21:17   #10
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post

Comfort is good but not as awesome as the Unicorn, if budget permits go for the Unicorn.

I would really not like to go with the other options that you have provided but still if budget is strict either the Shine or the Super Splendor.
Does the Shine have a problem with reliability? Some reviews in Mouthshut say so.

Are there any owners of the Super Splendor and and Glamour?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 21:42   #11
BHPian
 
susan3004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kapurthala
Posts: 345
Thanked: 120 Times
Default

Hi Proxima,
Just wondering what would have gone wrong with your Enfields' self starter?!(I also own a Machismo)
With the dimensions your venerable father and you have, I seriously doubt that you would fit on any of the scooters' that have been mentioned herein. Yes, I can ride the Activa(I am 6' with 90kgs), but my knees stick out if I sit on the place designed for the driver to sit.
I personally feel that in India, the only capable sized two-wheeler for both of you is the one which you already have!

You can consider getting alloys fitted on your Machismo and keep on enjoying it as you have been earlier, and have an assured service from the steed as you have been having before.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 22:34   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

I think the Honda Shine suits your dad's requirement the best, otherwise the Bajaj XCD is also very very good.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2007, 23:53   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 64
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

My suggestion would be the Unicorn if you can stretch the budget. It has a really smooth ride and handling. my dad who is 56 loves it . No problem with the disc brakes. Sweet and smooth engine. It is MR. practical. It can take 200 kgs.
I dont understand why people are against the monoshock when it is the norm everywhere. Just take a test ride and see the difference.
Next best would be the glamour f1 but for one person .
wolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 01:29   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

since rusting is a major concern i suggest you dont go for bajaj or the tvs bikes, unlike the hh and honda they are prone to have rusty silencers very soon and a lot of bikes have their silencers cracked and fallen off!

the best bet would be honda shine, super splendor or if you can stretch your budget then unicorn!, i am not suggesting the glamour because it has a tiny winy gearbox problem, gets stuck at times in second gear!

see the thing of it is that you can book a service slot 1 or 2 weeks ahead and go and give the bike for serviceing around 10am,

these are awesomely engineered machines that have proven their reliability over time so these bikes should be good choice!

Last edited by rider60 : 30th December 2007 at 01:32.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2007, 02:06   #15
BHPian
 
dhaval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Options: (good to haves)
  1. Alloy wheels (we stay 200 mtrs from the sea, hence rusting is a major concern)
  2. Price below 45k.
Keeping in mind the major concerns of yours, i think you should buy the Honda Shine. The Super Splendor is a very good bike, but i am not sure if it comes with alloys(i think the Splendor NXG does, though), and i also do not know how reliable is its electric starter, since a friend of mine owning the bike is having some issues regarding it.
Just my thoughts
Cheers,
Dhaval
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please suggest a new Bike for me!! bivin Motorbikes 120 1st September 2013 19:14
Please suggest a bike! S@ndy Motorbikes 8 20th July 2012 15:45
Suggest a new 150cc above bike please !! Sabareesh Motorbikes 37 20th March 2009 14:54
SuggestmeaGoodCar->FundrivingE&comfortable Apurba The Indian Car Scene 10 5th November 2004 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks