Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Using a Helmet

Hi,

Found 99% using the helmet as an accessory like a hat on the head.. Doesnt serve any purpose..

Friends, Kindly STRAP on the helmet while you wear one as otherwise..its as good as not wearing ANY..



PS.. Mods..pls move the thread to the appropriate section as i'm unable to do it.. Thx
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:14   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 22,610 Times
Default

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-you-dead.html (HINDSIGHT is a wonderful thing but of no use when you are DEAD)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:18   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

Found 99% using the helmet as an accessory like a hat on the head.. Doesnt serve any purpose..

Friends, Kindly STRAP on the helmet while you wear one as otherwise..its as good as not wearing ANY..
Most of the folks wearing helmets wear it to protect themselves from cops, for them it serves the purpose. Unless they start wearing it for the real intent, things will be the same.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

No one wears the right size either. They just buy whatever they get, expecially the ones being sold on the street like vegetables by those 'bhaiyyas'. I can bend them and probably break them with my hand. Imagine how protective they will be in a crash!
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:38   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
No one wears the right size either. They just buy whatever they get, expecially the ones being sold on the street like vegetables by those 'bhaiyyas'. I can bend them and probably break them with my hand. Imagine how protective they will be in a crash!
Rules are implemented to make sure everyone uses a helmet.And then people come up with cheap quality helmets,and lets everyone get away with buying one for under Rs200. Get hit with a stick while wearing those helmets,and you'd probably have to get yourself checked to make sure there's no injury.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 23:47   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

I have actually held one of those helmets in my hand and could easily bend it with my hand. I'm pretty sure I could have broken it but it belonged to someone
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:05   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default

Have seen a lot of people using fancy STM & BHP make helmets wihout any safety ratings at all. They look quite nice, but sadly bend at the lslightest of effort.
And, these don't come cheap either, in the same price range of 2-4K i am certain one could easily get hold of far superior stuff with an ISI if not DOT or Snell rating.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:16   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

I have seen guys riding CBR's and other biggies wearing these stupid helmets. Why would you do that when you can afford such an expensive bike??

There are other brands like INDEX & SAFETYMET which are made in Thailand and those too are 'BS'. Infact, I know someone who crashed wearing a Safetymet and died because his skull cracked along with the helmet. Hope this puts something between the ears of the people who compromise on safety equipment.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:24   #9
BHPian
 
prasadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 564
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I have seen guys riding CBR's and other biggies wearing these stupid helmets. Why would you do that when you can afford such an expensive bike??

There are other brands like INDEX & SAFETYMET which are made in Thailand and those too are 'BS'. Infact, I know someone who crashed wearing a Safetymet and died because his skull cracked along with the helmet. Hope this puts something between the ears of the people who compromise on safety equipment.
Glad to hear someone bring this up. I have been begging my cousins and nephews to consider getting better helmets. Most of them makeup reasons. Expensive, heavy, not suitable for indian heat etc. At the same time they spend time and money sticking fancy stickers on the helmets.

I have always wondered, how a decent DOT/SNELL rated helmet cosing $200 to $600 elsewhere compares to a $5 helmet sold on the road side. There has got to be a huge difference, probably a life saving difference.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:49   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
I have always wondered, how a decent DOT/SNELL rated helmet cosing $200 to $600 elsewhere compares to a $5 helmet sold on the road side. There has got to be a huge difference, probably a life saving difference.
99.99% these cheap helmets would snap under the slightest pressure applied all over the surface area.
If someone can afford a good bike,investing in a good helmet would be the logical thing to do.Of course,not everyone thinks that way.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 00:57   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

How many of the motogp riders that have died in past have died of head injuries? I cant think of even one of them. There's a reason for that.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 01:02   #12
BHPian
 
TheDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

These Indian branded helmets work fine. Good enough for our speeds.

Not the local ones, though. Wouldnt take a chance with them.
TheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 01:27   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,343
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
These Indian branded helmets work fine. Good enough for our speeds.

Not the local ones, though. Wouldnt take a chance with them.
I presume you are talking about MPA, AGV(Indian), GP One and not the ones that are sold by the street side.

Remember, you could be doing 30 km/h but the guy who comes and crashes into you could be doing 90-100 km/h.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 02:34   #14
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I presume you are talking about MPA, AGV(Indian), GP One and not the ones that are sold by the street side.

Remember, you could be doing 30 km/h but the guy who comes and crashes into you could be doing 90-100 km/h.

I agree with u straight6. It all depends on the relative velocity when it crashes. I remember a lady doctor in my place died just because of a 5 RS coin thrown from a Bus to a worship place, broke her specs and she lost her control and crashed in to another vehicle.

Even though I m using a Steelbird, Im feeling its not that safe. I will change it this weekend. Thanks for reminding buddys.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 5th January 2008 at 02:36.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 02:37   #15
BHPian
 
TheDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

Yup, I've crash tested it. The GP one to be precise. And i really would not trust any roadside device with my life,
TheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet Su-47 Motorbikes 2509 13th December 2017 14:27
Wearing HELMET WHILE U RIDE Surprise Motorbikes 53 8th April 2007 23:54
Stubborn Resistance to the New Helmet Law !! normally_crazy Motorbikes 116 29th April 2006 13:42
Wear HELMET OR HELL MET Surprise Street Experiences 0 8th August 2005 12:00
My new ZEUS helmet, FOX gloves Hatari Shifting gears 11 5th February 2005 17:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks