Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th July 2009, 10:25   #46
BANNED

Pavan, just imagine a 6ft 4in guy riding a Luna.

I used the Luna for my office work this was back in 1999 and man without proper brakes i used to use my long legs to stop the vehicle, i was enjoying everybit of driving the Luna.

The only problem i had was using pedal as it was difficult for me and for my height, i used to get hit by the handle.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:19   #47
BHPian

Oh man... that brings back memories. The Luna TFR Plus was my first powered-vehicle ever. I used one from 1989 to 1991 during my 11th & 12th - the Luna meant freedom. I remember how my cousins & class-mates envied it.

Then I went away to college and my brother used it for a couple of years, then he too left for college and the moped was sold away.
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You want one...?

There's one good running piece without papers(You dont need papers seriously)

Let me know if you need, 2k off your wallet you get it.

Pavan, sorry to say but my Maina and I will not be able to sit on it and roam in bangy
ramki067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:35   #49
BHPian

Well, I too began my riding experience on my uncles' Luna TFR ! And to think that many youngsters of this generation havent even seen one ! Some of them havent heard about one either !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:48   #50
BHPian

Default First Vehicle

It was my first vehicle . I have very good memories but it was deadly in one way. It used to just stop abruptly when it ran out of fuel or fuel level to reserve.
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 17:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow this thread brought back so many memmoties Luna was ubiquitous once upon a time and moped meant Luna.

My elder sister had a Luna Double plus 50 CC black color , I was just in 3ed standard and once took it in afternoon for a joyride , After sitting on seat my legs just used to touch the middle portion above the pedals, So I use to start it first on stand then sit on the seat and jerk a bit to get off the stand. To get off I had to take it to our boundary wall and tilt it till handle bar rests against the wall and I can get off. It was too heavy for me at that time.

While on one such Joyride I banged it in to door of a Jeep causing a big dent and then rode off to some distance so that Jeep driver can not catch me , but a well meaning man followed me on his bike to my home and reported about my misadventure to my parents and then there was a total clampdown on my joyrides as my sis use to keep the key away from my reach in top shelf of Almira.

Later when I was in 7th or 8th standard I used to maintain this Luna myself cleaning spark plug, carburetor , Air filter etc myself. After a good rain or it was a must to clean carburetor if left out in open.

The Silencer of Luna use to get clogged quite often. Cleaning method was quite simple collect some wood , leaves etc , take off silencer and burn it and then tap while hot with a spanner.

Later when I was in my 11th and 12th lots of girls in my school had Luna and I got fare share of gal pals thanks to my Luna fixing abilities.

I rode the black Luna till my college days and later it was given away to our maid's husband when I left my home town.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:52   #52
BHPian

Hi,

Just reading through the thread, is Luna still in Production, Are there any ones for sale ??
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 18:25   #53
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Hi,

Just reading through the thread, is Luna still in Production, Are there any ones for sale ??
Refer post #53. Its in Bangalore though. Which country is Maidenhead in ?
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 02:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Refer post #53. Its in Bangalore though. Which country is Maidenhead in ?
Thanks NIP, Can you give me the link please if possible.

Maidenhead is in the UK, I am from Bombay Thanks
allana13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 17:36   #55
BANNED

1 year and more on this thread.

Nothing much to update as, this was a full fledged and a complete restoration, and nothing to add or divide over the years.

This Luna, runs like a Lunatic and has behaved really well over the years

Got the clutch changed just today, will have to clean the carb and change the plug. Was not needed,but since i have those NOS spares for this bike in plenty, changing them
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetic Luna-imag_1590.jpg  

Kinetic Luna-imag_1591.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 16:32   #56
BHPian

Default Re: fun Luna trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilbakshi View Post
First launched in 1974, the luna is still sold - and not just in India but also in the US and other countries.

Over 35000 Lunas (called Kinetic TFR there) are on US roads, and one photojournalist even completed a cross country journey across the US on a Luna..

Luna has raced against and beaten the Deccan Queen train between Mumbai and Pune

Luna advertising kickstarted many glorious careers - Prahlad Kakkar and Piyush Pandey both made Luna commercials as their first ever films, and went on to become successful. The "ram murari" from the very popular "chal meri luna" ad went on to make the Munnabhai movies!

Luna has been endorsed by Smita Patil, Shabana Azmi, Sachin Tendulkar and Mohd Azharuddin

Luna was the first-ever prize given to "the Man of the Match" award in international cricket, and retained that honor for several years

Kinetic gave a Luna as a gift to the SSC topper every year, and also offered it to anyone who scored 35% exact (minimum passing marks)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
found all this info online
Brilliant. I had my first ride on Luna as well.

Here are the youtube links for char meri luna advert:

Here is a link to a short story on Luna:
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 17:00   #57
BHPian

Default Re: Kinetic Luna

Superb Job, I used to hire this in 80s during my trips to Goa. It was an amazing experience back then to glide calmly on the lovely village roads. I'm in nostalgia after seeing your pics. Thanks for your effort.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 17:12   #58
BHPian

I have a Luna Super Star, handed down from my Eldest Sister to my Elder Sister and finally to me. Some really nice memories on it. Currently gathering dust in our parking. But I think, sometime soon I will be restoring it.

Used to love the excellent FE and sprightly ride on it.
torquecurve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 17:30   #59
BHPian

Here is an original joke ...

Kinetic is coming with a new upgraded version of the Luna in 2012. Rumors are its going to be branded as the "Lunatic 50cc"

--Rahul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 12:15   #60
BHPian

Hi Pavan

Was going through your luna threads, here is my luna restored at mysore.
For the blue one, I did detailed restoration by 100% dismantling , chrome & painting & restored at very detailed level.
White one, I use to see standing at a garage , could not resist & bought it for rs 800 without paper, found a zerox on the tool box, (17 year old photocopy) traced the owner & got the RC book for another Rs 700.
Both are in perfect running condition.
I do have original Owner Manual, if any one needs it I could photocopy it & share it.

Ananth
Attached Images

Ananth_shukti is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote