Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th June 2008, 11:02   #421
BHPian

Speculation was rife more than a year back that Bajaj are testing a twin-cylinder motorcycle, that was developed with in-house engineering capabilities. Only God and Bajaj knows if it will see the light of the day!

For once I think the news was a hoax.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 17:07   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I agree with you. But are you sure Bajaj will launch the Ninja in the next 6 months?
let's just say that the last time i bought a bike in 2006 this is roughly what happened:

had a 96 kb100 and a 2000 shaolin. shaolin had an MH number in bangalore and couldn't be used much. kb100 was aging and with spares becoming rarer was hard to maintain. i had heard buzz about tvs launching a new bike in june or so of that year and was waiting. then the apache came out and i thought while the bike is good, it doesn't have enough of power to excite me plus it was small (i weigh 100kgs). then around then i heard about the 220. so i started waiting. my girlfriend tried to convince me to just buy a 180. i said no i want a 220. waited... waited... nothing!

then in november i was riding on the kb and suddenly the noise changed and became REALLY throaty so i stopped and i realized the silencer had fallen off! it was then that my girlfriend told me to just go and buy a 180 which i did a few days later!

then 3-4 weeks later (i think) came the 200 and enough time later, finally came the 220. this was after months of buzz about it. so i wouldn't be too surprised if the same were to happen with the ninja :(

Last edited by silver_shadow : 10th June 2008 at 17:09.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2008, 17:16   #423
BHPian

fairing is little big
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 01:17   #424
BHPian

Again visited the Yamaha showroom ( don't ask me why I keep on going here, it's enroute my favourite biking route and seeing the R1, R15 and MT-01 is not bad ). Again asked them about the price, torque and power figures but still the same reply wait till 12th June and power is supposed to be in the region of 18-22BHP and booking amount is 10 grand.

But the main reason I went there was because I had to to check out the Gladiator, although a review of this bike is not as important on this thread but it would kinda give an indication of things to come in the R 15.

Observations

1. The bike has a very nice premium feel to it in terms of finishing and build quality so expect similar levels of finish on the R15 although one must note that the rear of R15 is really disappointing unlike the Gladi. I absolutely love the the paint finishes on the Gladiator especially the blue and white scheme
Hope they offer a similar paint scheme on the R 15.

2. The bike has handling to die for, even amateurs would be able to lean it it to a fair extent . This coupled with the excellent erogonomics (read excellent seat and usable knee recesses in the tank) makes the bike a treat to handle. I could buy this bike for its handling alone. Again a sign of things to come considering that the R15 employs a better Deltabox frame (Delta-triangular shaped, Box-box like cross section)

3. The gearbox has a nice and positive throw and the engine is very refined without any vibes at even 8000 RPM (more about this later).

But now comes the bad part, the bike sounds like a hair dryer/vacuum cleaner( maybe this is good, latent power perhaps) in comparison to my present steed the Caliber whose exhaust note( maybe due to a Klipsch like horn shaped exhaust) makes a horn redundant. The bike I was driving had only 690 KM on the odo , and was yet to be run-in but it was very slow. I have scheduled a test drive again to further confirm this somewhere around the 12th so I get a chance to sample the R15 as well.

The Dealership Experience

The place has a good ambience about it the big bikes, the riding gear and the whole red colour scheme. That said the dealer staff is pathetic in terms of sheer biking knowlege however they do makeup for it letting you rip the bike as much as you want on your fav route. You see the biking route I was talking about earlier has this sort of chicane (often deserted) where I was expecting to take the Gladi and asked the customer rep about this and he replied where else do you expect I will take you and I was all .

The Gladi I rode costs 49 grand on road (including disk brakes and electric start). Quite VFM I must say hope such the R15 also happens to be an equally VFM product. All fingers crossed, one day to go !.

Last edited by revvedup : 11th June 2008 at 01:22.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 02:50   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
The Gladi I rode costs 49 grand on road (including disk brakes and electric start). Quite VFM I must say hope such the R15 also happens to be an equally VFM product. All fingers crossed, one day to go !.
Had attended an Yamaha event for the promotion of Gladiator. They were giving free rides, and some competitions as well. Agree with both the points you said- Power feels like a 100cc bike, and I would describe the sound as a muted Bajaj 4S RE auto.

But R 15 might be a different game altogether. For one, the youtube video posted in the previous page shows the vehicle is not so refined, as has a loud enough exhaust note.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 09:36   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For one, the youtube video posted in the previous page shows the vehicle is not so refined, as has a loud enough exhaust note.
I happened to show the video on you tube (R15 Exhaust) to my brother which gives an idea about how the bike fires/sounds.
He could not stop laughing and thought it sounded like a bajaj auto rick with a CNG fitting.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:34   #427

Default No Test Ride on R15.

Hey Ppl,

I have some bad news . I spoke to one of the dealer in Bangalore & goto know that there won't be any test drives at dealer locations.

R15- is considered a premium bike just the way the MT01 & R1 is treated.

Also claims that if the test drive is given it will be at DEALER's RISK (Delaer's Vehicle) & not the company vehicle.

This was the information given by ORION Motors in Bangalore.

Contact Person: Uday.

What other surpise guys

BR - Sridhar
sridhar_blr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:56   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

That is quite ridiculous !!! The R1 and MT-01 are exclusive bikes and it's ok if they dont give it on test rides.

For the R-15 it's suicide.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 13:14   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_blr80 View Post
Also claims that if the test drive is given it will be at DEALER's RISK (Delaer's Vehicle) & not the company vehicle.
AFAIK, most companies follow this policy. Even car manufacturers follow the same policy. Dealers have to purchase the TD cars, which is one reason why they sell off the TD cars to unsuspecting customers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 13:17   #430
BHPian

Its happening guys...tomorro is the official launch of the r15 at the chennai track...will try and get some pics
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 17:27   #431
Senior - BHPian

Just had a brief conversation with a local Yam guy (dealer). Personally having tested the bike for over xxx kms, he told me that the performance was, well, not shattering.

He was honest.

Apparently, the top whack that he managed was 127 on speedo. Under favourable conditions, on a slope.

Let's see...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:56   #432
BHPian

Well bad news seeping in just before the launch. 127 is not exactly setting the road on fire with all the hype and hoopla around the bike. One more day to go. The reality of R-15 beckons.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 21:09   #433
Team-BHP Support

If the bike can keep a steady 100 kmph for 10 hours out of 15 hours of riding.
for a week at a time.

Would not matter if the top whack is 127.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 22:55   #434
BHPian

HEy guys, Here are some solid informations from my town/state. The bike is going to be 19.5 PS and expect something around 30-40kmp/ltr and its weighs approx 120kgs, and the OTR price will be Rs1,08,000.
Cheers!!
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 23:47   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If the bike can keep a steady 100 kmph for 10 hours out of 15 hours of riding.
for a week at a time.

Would not matter if the top whack is 127.
bhai!!
R15 isnt a tourer!!!!

wait for the air-cooled 150(FZ150)
Name:  yamahaYZFR15_site_02.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  166.0 KB
Yamaha R15 get ready india! EDIT...now launched at 97K-2201618036_3dc0f950fc_o.jpg
it is set to be launched around October, yes I feel that can do "a steady 100 kmph for 10 hours out of 15 hours of riding.
for a week at a time."

how can I say??
- I have a zeus (125cc, 5 speed). I did around 85 kmph to 95 kmph for 5 hours. So I am expecting the FZ150 to be a tourer.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 11th June 2008 at 23:49.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote