Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th June 2008, 04:19   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Stop falling over each other or picking holes in each other's statements guys. There are always two genres of automotive enthusiasts (its not just bikers). The first category are those who seek power, glory, looks, tashan etc, at whatever cost that may come. They are the enthusiasts. And then there are the econohacks who would rather have buttermilk than the curd, at least it gets them a taste of milk and yet keeps the pocket happy.

No problemo. Both the genres have very valid POVs and we should appreciate that. Though twain shall never meet, problem begins when someone (Yam?) tries to merge the two. And all hell breaks loose. We are seeing one such rare occurence now with the launch of this bike.
Very well said zappo.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 05:47   #512
Senior - BHPian

It sounds like an exciting bike alright. Yes, bhp numbers mean little, and handling alone can account for a lot. Is top whack everything - you're hardly going to be riding at its limit all the time. If it can do 3 digit speeds smoothly enough 3 years into its life, I think there's a winner. Of course, I do not see it bothering the 220s/ZMAs much given the substantial price difference - a certain crowd might "move up" and what might also happen is that a whole new market gets created by the excitement of this launch, and others this year (250R, all new Pulsar). Given that for a lot of folks 1.1L+ is wayyy too much, they will settle down for a 220 etc, and even as it carves its own niche out, this Yamaha might ending up expanding the market for its closest competitors.
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 09:55   #513
BHPian

Like Zappo mentioned, it is best left to wait till the TD results are out in the open. We can sit on our computers and keep writing the pros and cons of a bike. Unless we test it in person, there is little we are going to achieve by criticizing the bike.

So hold your horses, guys! Take a chill pill.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th June 2008 at 12:23. Reason: Post changed, please use Report Post instead of making another post for quicker actions
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:42   #514
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
PS: when the comet was launched, did the kinetic dealers offered test rides? anybody?
They did or i was lucky because some other guys were turned back. Ofcourse i went there on my RD
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:14   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxj2005 View Post
Guys ,

As per data on Yamaha's website,the conversions are

17PS = 16.76 HP

BHP = torque x rpm/5252

15*7500 /5252 = 21.42 BHP

References:

Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.
Torque, HP, Speed
power conversion - converting units of power, horsepower, ps, kw, hp, bhp
As per your calc,
ZMA : Max torque is 18.35NM @6000 rpm, so BHP = 18.35 x 6000/5252 = 20.96 BHP ( claimed 17 BHP)
Pulsar 220 torque 19.12 NM @6500 rpm; BHP = 19.12 x 6500 /5252 = 23.66 BHP ( claimed 20 PS ( 19.72 BHP))
are these BHP figures put out by manf, at the crank or wheel? If WHP is mentioned then, i think there is nothing here to argue about? Numbers look good for a 150cc bike and Yamaha india has done a great job!
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:27   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I said earlier, its too early to comment but the initial figures & the MRP sounds good only for those who would take a bike to the track for racing regularly.
If Yamaha wanted to cater to that Niche then it looks they have a winner at hands(atleast it seems so as of now)
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 00:36   #517
BHPian

DAMN!!!
I am loving this thread. It gets more and more better. I'd rather not open my mouth until I have seen it myself and checked it out. Although it seems a great power house for 150cc engine et al with all the evolved technological transmission box. And yeah the delta box frame. But i somehow doubt if the price is really justified.

WILL WAIT FOR SOMETIME

Mods note: Post Edited. Do not use multiple dots in between sentences.
Please go through Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th June 2008 at 14:24.
babe_on_wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 09:08   #518
Senior - BHPian

I find the bike is not good option to plunge into, specially given Yamaha After Sales & Service ( A.S & S ). Their dealer network is not in adequate numbers as compared to lets say Bajaj or Hero Honda. Oh, and how can I forget this fact : The bike is still not in the market!

Something about Yamaha India : Since two autoexpos Yamaha has been making huge and exciting promises, but are yet to launch this bike!
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 09:46   #519
Senior - BHPian

Forget the A.S.S., I guess Yamaha should 1st release a price list of the spare parts for the R15. Esp the fairing, headlamps, exhaust blah blah. As I said earlier, they should give 3 full fairings free of cost, given the condition of Indian roads and the incredible nature of Indian parking lots
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 11:07   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
veyron1; the P220 didnt set the sale charts on fire right?
My dear das....the ZMA & 220 aren't setting ANYTHING on fire if you go by sheer sales figures, as opposed to say, the Splendor or XCD/Pulsar.

There are quite a few 220 DTS-FI's being sold to justify it's tag. After all, it commands a 10K+ premium over the big HH, so sales figures are lesser than what might be expected of a Bajaj.

The point here is this. Yamaha would have had everybody drooling, had it added another cylinder to the equation. 300cc, 35 horses @ 2 lacs. I bet Yamaha could manage to sell 6-700 of those machines P.A. No sweat. Remeber, the Comet sold 500 units.+

I, for one, would rather wait & watch.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 13:21   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Forget the A.S.S., I guess Yamaha should 1st release a price list of the spare parts for the R15. Esp the fairing, headlamps, exhaust blah blah. As I said earlier, they should give 3 full fairings free of cost, given the condition of Indian roads and the incredible nature of Indian parking lots
Well hero honda dint do anything like that with the zma.The Big HH has the worst plastics ever fitted on a bike.Trust me cause i own one.The build quality of the yammy is way superior cause one of the guys riding it at the chennai test track at the launch got high sided and had a nasty fall.My colleague who was right behind him personally picked up the bike and checked for the damage..there was nothing other than the fairing getting scrapped and a broken indicator.No loose bits..no cracks.the guy ended up breaking a bone so it was BAD crash and the bike coming out with just scrape marks speaks volumes about its build quality.

I feel the price is justified as well.Yamaha could have easily bored out the engine to say 180 cc or probably 200 cc but the question is "Was it required?"...When they can aquire a sub ten second 0-100kmph(cant disclose anymore) with a 150 cc engine why even think of anything bigger when "SMALL" does the job.dont go on the cc guys this bike is much more than that.

All i will say is Ride it first to know what it is..then comment on it.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 13:42   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
dont go on the cc guys this bike is much more than that.
Its going to be fantastic on the track for sure. But the main worrying factor for me is the high rpms in which both power and torque peak.

Wonder how the performance will be in normal spirited driving in the city?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 14:35   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxj2005 View Post
Guys ,

As per data on Yamaha's website,the conversions are

17PS = 16.76 HP

BHP = torque x rpm/5252

15*7500 /5252 = 21.42 BHP

References:

Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.
Torque, HP, Speed
power conversion - converting units of power, horsepower, ps, kw, hp, bhp
U got it all wrong. When you use this formula to calculate bhp, you need to convert torque into "lbft" and not "nm".

15nm = 11lbft

So, (11x7500)/5252 = 15.7bhp@7500rpm. Hence 16.76bhp@8500rpm.

BHP at max torque rpm is always lower than it is at max power rpm.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 14th June 2008 at 14:44.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 18:20   #524
BHPian

Default review from cnbc overdirve

hey guys..

for all thoose who missed it on tv.. here's the review from cnbc

cheers!
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 20:02   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Correct! The indian road conditions can make any vehicle plying on it, a mess.

@balenopower:
Yamaha does manage to produce bikes with high build quality but then what about A.S & S ? What about the spare parts availability and cost ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote