Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th June 2008, 01:53   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good review Killer. Now how does a stock R15 compare with a RTR FI w/ imported rubber.

BTW, what brand tires does the R15 use.
No idea coz i havent ridden the RTR FI. The R15 uses special compound Zappers that were basically copied off the Bridgestone Battlax BT39SS race tires.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:52   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
No idea coz i havent ridden the RTR FI. The R15 uses special compound Zappers that were basically copied off the Bridgestone Battlax BT39SS race tires.
How was the grip with these tires on sandy/wet roads?

How about the turning circle?

So this is now going to replace your Apache?

Last edited by islero : 19th June 2008 at 16:55.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:40   #588
Senior - BHPian

Its hard to enjoy a bike like this if you are used to the economy style riding of city commuting. Such a bike can be best enjoyed when revved hard... ridden on the redline through the gears.!
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:56   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Its hard to enjoy a bike like this if you are used to the economy style riding of city commuting. Such a bike can be best enjoyed when revved hard... ridden on the redline through the gears.!
I dont think Yamaha is targetting city commuters with this bike. This is more for connoisseurs if I may say so.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:58   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I won't worry too much about Bangalore Boys for this.
Some practice on the NICE road, right till it
ends and meets Bannerghatta road.
I have seen many bikers in early hours
practicing their wheelies.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 19:13   #591
Senior - BHPian

OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I.., right till it ends and meets Bannerghatta road.
haa!!! Bannerghatta Road, you made me a bit Nostalgic. Lived in that area for a month in 2004, that road was such a mess, at that time students of IIM did a Rastha Roko Andolan. So the condition is still the same.!!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 19:54   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
OT.

haa!!! Bannerghatta Road, you made me a bit Nostalgic. Lived in that area for a month in 2004, that road was such a mess, at that time students of IIM did a Rastha Roko Andolan. So the condition is still the same.!!
Hmmm..well, the initial part, say around 500 mtrs or so, is a prospective
area for some motor cross enthusiasts. Then the good part of the road starts and meets the road which leads to Mysore. Just across
this road you start with corridor of NICE to Nelmangala and the
famous NH4. I go to Pune by this initial route. Its a haven for bikers
to do thier wheelies and stoppies. I won't be suprised if early buyers
of the R15 test their machines against the P220s and ZMAs here.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 19:55   #593
BHPian

...Checked it out today. It looks good, feels good, sounds good even with the higher price tag, 97K on road, 100K with the accessories & a 45 day waiting period.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 22:28   #594
BHPian

I got to ride it on the track when Yamaha was launching it. Stunning handling no doubt which is the high point of the bike. It feels light but not weightless. Riding posture is great but I am 5 feet 7 inches and am not sure how a 6-footer would find it.

The bike offers a lot and is leaps ahead of the competition in most aspects. But I wish the engine made a bit more power, which I think at around 20 bhp probably from a 175 motor would have been stunning for this machine.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 02:21   #595
BHPian

One should not make 'statemets' on this unless they inspect it personally and ride it properly- no sensible rider does that.

Neither will i be commenting on this for now.

Speaking in general (has no bearing on the R15)-
About estimating prices- one can have sushi at some nice sushi bar or at the docks, straight from the fisherwoman- each to his own.

(I can't even imagine comparing a nice Parker/Sheaffer/Mont Blanc/Waterman to a Camel/Flair/Reynolds or for that matter even a Pilot (made in Japan) fountain pen.
Why buy a beemer when a prepped up Civic TypeR can maybe achieve the same- though that doesn't mean i don't get a Civic TypeR and prep it up further.)

Everything has a place and purpose and priorities differ.
BIKeINSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 10:47   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
(I can't even imagine comparing a nice Parker/Sheaffer/Mont Blanc/Waterman to a Camel/Flair/Reynolds or for that matter even a Pilot (made in Japan) fountain pen.
Why buy a beemer when a prepped up Civic TypeR can maybe achieve the same- though that doesn't mean i don't get a Civic TypeR and prep it up further.)

Everything has a place and purpose and priorities differ.
Very well said BIKeINSTEIN, this is very true for all people trying to compare the straightline/drag/0-100 etc performance of the R15 against the 220/ZMA lot, as killer has reviewed the Bike is brilliant in the handling terms, ride feel and buyers should appreciate the technology offered at the price and enjoy their ride instead of early morning outings against other bikes.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 12:40   #597
Senior - BHPian

thanks for test ride reviews guys. Surely there is some soul in the bike and not just some bike for 50k.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 16:31   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The entire engine so to speak is enclose in a water jacket whereas in case of P220 only the engine oid is cooled to maintain its viscosity under high heat conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Oil cooler cools the engine oil... the engine in esence runs "cooler" because of the cooler oil and hence oil cooled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
That is oil cooler not oil cooled engine
Ajay is right- oil cooler doesn't mean oil cooled.
The engine block has fins and it's primary cooling medium is air- so it's a air-cooled engine.
Watercooled/Liquid-cooled engines rely on water/water+coolant additive/coolant only for primary cooling via the design of the engine, the pump, radiator and air is the secondary cooling medium that cools the water via the radiatir/heat exchanger.

Bajaj is using the 'oil-cooled' tag in lame sense of the word.
They are using the stament 'oil is cooled' as if to imply that the engine is oil-cooled.

I haven't been checking any auto publications past few years but i don't know why none of them haven't taken up the issue with BAL, if they haven't done that so yet.
BAL can play the ignorance card then if confronted- saying 'we just meant that the oil is cooled'.
BIKeINSTEIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 12:31   #599
BHPian

Guys, just an update.Looks like I will be getting my bike on next WEdnesday[25th] or latest by Friday and will be the 1st bike in my city.
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 12:42   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Guys, just an update.Looks like I will be getting my bike on next WEdnesday[25th] or latest by Friday and will be the 1st bike in my city.
Congrats Veelubai.
Will be waiting for pics and review.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote