Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th June 2008, 13:41   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
slight OT - but WRT HID on bikes -

Feasibility of HID doesn't depend only on whether the ballast is a 35W or 55W. It depends on the batt Ah rating. Although running amp requirements is about 4A startup requires a lot more and you need to have a 9Ah battery to be sure of no issues regarding power up and performance. Some ppl have been able to get it done with a 7.5Ah battery though occasionally the batt weakens to the extent you have a weak weak horn and starter wont work properly.

I had a HID on my P200 - it has a 9Ah battery - running on a DC setup ala ZMA w/o problems but if you are not keen on the DC showoff effect ... you can use a bridge rectifier ckt to run it off the AC got from the magneto coil into HL. This minimizes probability of Batt drain too.

HID single beams cost 3.5K upwards here. Low-beam HID, high beam halogen costs around 5.3K and the dual beam hid costs around 9K ( if you can get it as a single bulb i.e) . All these are costs for the HID kit with single bulb though the dual beam HID is usually sold only in a pair since its meant for cars. I had this on my bike - now using on the car.

And 35W kit is the best option since most bikes in India barring the 220 come with a stock 35W HL capacity and using a 45/55/65W ballast setup will mean rewinding to support it ...not a good idea..
I was assuming this bike had a 9ah battery since its got a starter which means it should work fine. I have seen a guy on a DIO with HID's installed too.
straight6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 16:47   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I was assuming this bike had a 9ah battery since its got a starter which means it should work fine. I have seen a guy on a DIO with HID's installed too.
Yup . Elec Starter implies at least 7.5 Ah I believe. And yes you can get HIDs on even 5Ah batteries but question of how long you use it since inevitably the batt will drain out IMHO.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 21:13   #663
BHPian

Guys, looks like the HID thing is a bit complicated,expensive and risky. Can anyone tell me wether its possible to replace the stock[35W] R 15 headlight which are yellowish to white ones[like the ones on the P200].

Last edited by Veelubai : 27th June 2008 at 21:21.
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 21:18   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Sandeepkram, How much do the HIDs cost in Bangalore? Which brand is it? And what type is the bulb fitting...H4,H3 etc
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 21:46   #665
BHPian

HIDs

expensive ? - absolutely.
Complicated and risky - not ! as long as you dont intend to touch the ballast while the HL is on

I have a Vision X HID kit complete with all the required wiring and two ballasts and two bulbs and a relay which is what is required for a Car. I was using one of those bulbs with one ballast and the relay on my P200.

You get Bosch,Philips etc HID kits. Many of them are meant for cars hence carry the aforementioned items for a hefty price of around 10K plus.

For bikes you get malaysian/chinese single bulb kits from around 4K onwards.

You can have either -

1.Single beam HID - only one beam can be used as hi/low
2.HID/Halogen - one beam is HID(usually low beam),high beam halogen though its a matter of changing the connections in the switch to use it in the opposite way.
3.Bi-Xenons - low and hi beam HID - either there are two arcs one for each beam or a single beam that is moved fwd and back for hi and low respectively.

Mine is the last version.,but the CT is 6000K. Best Colour temp would be 4300K.

And I saw the R15 specs sheet - the HL is 35/35 12V and nothing has been mentioned about the batt IIRC ...so its Ah rating is a mystery...
Old 27th June 2008, 22:24   #666
Senior - BHPian

The Yamaha R15 has H4 Xenons...

Its recommended to get the HID's specially for the bike and not the ones used on cars as the HID which are made for bikes have an extra relay and booster to boost the power of the light..

Last edited by karthik247 : 27th June 2008 at 22:27.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 22:59   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post

Its recommended to get the HID's specially for the bike and not the ones used on cars as the HID which are made for bikes have an extra relay and booster to boost the power of the light..
Xenon is a gas - an inert gas. And that is what is used in a HID - high intensity discharge - bulb. The gas ignites when you put about 22kV across the electrodes. There is no filament. These are the common characteristics of "any" HID .

Can you pls clarify when you say "HIDs specially for the bike" ? Because the only difference is in the pkg contents - bike kits have only one ballast and one HID bulb. There will almost always be a relay. Before that the HIDs ( meant for cars) came with 2 bulbs and 2 ballasts - one for each Head Lamp obviosuly ..and there is a single relay of course.

What I mean to say is .. there is no difference technically in the so called "bike" kit and the "car" kit. You get one bulb and ballast less , thats it.

The "boosting" you mentioned is actually the signal amplification done by the ballast so that your low voltage signal from battery is amplified to 22kV with a suitable current rating to keep the overall power dissipation/consumption to 35W. Such kits are the 35W ballast kits. Similar explanation holds good for 55W kits.This is no different in a "car" kit or a "bike " kit. As I said, the bike kit is just the car kit without the extra ballast and bulb.

Anyway, I dont see why you can't use a HID on the R15.
pls correct me if I am wrong - since I have not heard or read about any technical differences in "bike" and "car" kits.
Old 27th June 2008, 23:08   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think thats true as a friend of mine has recently taken the HID's out from his car and installed it on his CBR 954. Any international website that you check will always recommend the same kit for bikes and cars. The only difference being with bikes that have a single bulb where you will need to use an H4 Bi-Xenon.

I think the the R15 has H7's, which means one is a low beam and the other the high beam. If it has H4's as you say then both lights will be on at the same time and change to high & low beam at the same time.
Old 27th June 2008, 23:11   #669
Senior - BHPian

The guy who installed HID's on the R15 from XBHP told me it was H4s... Dunno if its right or not..
Can u explain how the kit will work on the bike? Like how the two bulbs will work... cuz one is highbeam n the other is lowbeam

And do u get 4bulbs with a H7 kit?? 2low n 2high?? So do u need to use only one pair ie 1low n 1high on the bike which means the other set is not needed??

Last edited by karthik247 : 27th June 2008 at 23:14.
Old 28th June 2008, 03:56   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The guy who installed HID's on the R15 from XBHP told me it was H4s... Dunno if its right or not..
Can u explain how the kit will work on the bike? Like how the two bulbs will work... cuz one is highbeam n the other is lowbeam

And do u get 4bulbs with a H7 kit?? 2low n 2high?? So do u need to use only one pair ie 1low n 1high on the bike which means the other set is not needed??
If it is H4 then both the bulbs will be on at the same time and both will change to low/high beam at the same time. If its a H7 setup, one will be low beam and the other will be high beam. When you switch to high beam, the low beam will also remain on unless its like the P220 where only one will stay on at a time.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:03   #671
BHPian

Sandeep - thanks for the clarifications.

Karthik - any updates on your delivery and do tell me how you plan to get the Lisc. plate done.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:08   #672
Senior - BHPian

The bikes are here but deliveries will start only on July 1st cuz of some RTO approval thing...

And as for the no. plate, gonna smoke/paint the visor black and will stick it on the visor.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:25   #673
BHPian

Even here the deliveries are slated only for July 1st.Even Iam planning to do the same but looks like that rod which holds the orginal Lisc.plate cant be removed.
Old 29th June 2008, 20:03   #674
BHPian

karthik..where are you registering it in..(Tvm or attingal) . Getting any fancy numbers?
roopakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 22:01   #675
Senior - BHPian

Yup.. Same as the car so i'll have to wait for atleast a month or more... And gettin it registerted in TVM...KL-01-AT-xxxx