Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th February 2008, 09:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Most of the times the bikes are not to blame for backache. It is our pathetic roads.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 10:09   #47

My vote goes to Avenger.... very comfortable bike
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 22:29   #48

Back pain eh, i have noticed something riding my kine and activa. the riding position of the activa causes back pain on longish rides bt no such problem with the kine.
The difference b/w both is that the kinetic has a relatively flat seating where as the active has a raised back, as in, the design is such that the back is raised compared to the front, so it makes one bend forward while sitting slightly which causes the back trouble.
Get a bike with a flat seat, all 2 stroke bikes have had a flat seating position.
Look for a new bike which has one nowadays, avenger/enticer sounds good.
gendarmee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 19:11   #49

My 2 cents to bring this thread back to life.

Many people have commented that all bikes would give you back ache after 60kms.

I would disagree. My drive was a daily 75kms earlier. It has reduced to about 47 now.

My Caliber 115 has seen 68000kms in 5years with no backache (touch wood).

Here is what I would do:
1. Choose a bike with the widest seat possible. Avenger has a wide seat but it is low-slung.
2. Sit on the front seat! I have seen many people sitting between the 2 seats causing them to crouch.
3. Instead of going zigzag trying to avoid potholes, try using the jockey position while going over them. This only comes through practice.
4. Use a bag that goes over both your shoulders, not just one. This will distribute the weight evenly.
5. If you are having a pillion, ask him or her to be seated as close to you as possible.
6. Relax your neck and shoulders. Most of time, it is the neck pain which radiates to the back.

Caliber 115 is a gem of a bike. Unfortunately, its production was halted for the Wind 125 which blew away to make way for the Platina.

Happy Biking!
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 00:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hey Bill,

I had a colleague in my previous company, who suffered from a slip disc and recovered after 3 months of therapy. He bought a Honda Unicorn after he recovered and felt very comfortable on it without any backpains. He used to drive atleast 35-45 kms daily. Unicorn will suit your mixed driving of city and highway as well.

Another bike which is old but still strong on the seating position is Fiero F2. It has a very wide seat. I have driven it only for about 15 kms at a stretch only once. But my friend who owns it has taken it from B'lore to Hyd travelling at an average speed of 90 kmph and still did not experience any back aches. He said he is very comfortable on the bike and does not feel crouched on it.

Both the above bikes are 150 cc and would server your purpose well. But if you are a true blue biker who can pay a little more than normal attention to your bike then it has to be the RE T-Bird. Because you might have known that the RE's are the bikes which are trusted by bikers who take it on the himalayan run and the ladakh range and all that. So any bike from the RE stable will be well suited.

My 2 cents!! Ciao!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 10:17   #51

I have done non-stop rides of 200+ km on Kinetic Laser. Had to stop after each 50-60 kms on other bikes that I have used (RX135, splendor, kb100, etc.). It is the most comfortable bike that I have ridden. Unfortunately its discontinued.

Only other bike which is equally comfortable is Bullet (add some cushioning to the seat).
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 16:11   #52

I have a similar requirement.
How about any of the electric bikes.
I saw another thread about electric bikes, that it doesnt really save the environment, and just pushing pollution from oil to lead in batteries(batteries may not last long) and power plants
I have been thinking about electric bikes vs an avenger(two extremes)

but looking at an alternate way to commute to work.
I used to use my Suzuki Samurai(1999) to work till around 7-8 months ago, but switched to car from them because of back pain.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 23:10   #53

i dont think any bike is there with no back pain. if you ride long enough you will have pain in your bike for sure.go for a cruiser like avenger. it is one of the most comfortable one among indian bikes
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 01:27   #54

I am bought unicorn for my back pain probs with other bikes. i am 180 cms & unicorn suits me well. I have heard that even shine is good for back pain & bad roads but not tested by myself.
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 11:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Few thigs which needs to be in good shape:

Seat, make sure the shape and cushion is in good shape.

Suspension needs to be in good shape...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 12:18   #56

Not to kill your biking spirit, but frankly buddy I dont see any bike around which will help ease it for you , perhaps its time to move on to a small fuel economical car and ride the bike on the weekends to keep the biking spirit alive.
vikrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 15:47   #57
Senior - BHPian

Which are the sport,super and hyperbikes which fall under the no back pain bike category if any?
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 16:19   #58

I agree with vikrit...
any bike after some time brings pain on the back..
Unless it has extremely good shocks and seats and also a good seating posture..
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 17:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Any cruiser styled bike, viz., Avenger, Thunder Bird is a good answer. You can stay upright without bending your back and still be comfortable. Mileage wise, Thunderbird Twinspark will give you 40 +kmpl. Avenger should give you about 45 kmpl.

dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 18:39   #60

Correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't cruisers be an issue for tall guys who are 6ft+
Also, one cannot really use a cruiser for a daily commute on city roads, right?
I mean no harm in using it, but maneouvrability may be an issue compared to commuter bikes.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote