Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th January 2009, 10:17   #76

Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
As for the comfort afforded by old scooters... esp. like Bajaj Chetak, etc, which used to have a main horizontal spring and smaller springs under the body of the seat, I have really no idea what comfort is being reffered to. As far as I remembered, there was nothing remotely comfortable about riding those scooters. The seats used to suk big time inspite of the springs and the shock absorbers were awful, to say the least. If any doc ever recommened such a contraption to avert back pain, he should have his licence confiscated.
Yes, one has to instinctively stand up while riding over huge bumps or potholes.

The Seat in the old scoots had spring. And, Bullet Machismo has similar kind of seats I think.

Above Picture is Kinetic Aquila: the foot rest is position in front and not right below the driver seat.

@aswin: whats gone wrong with you. What tone of speech are you referring to in your post. Everyone here is free to express their opinions.
The riding style of all present cruisers have the reclining stile. With the rider foot extended like in sitting in a Car. I think everyone here appreciates that.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2009 at 12:06. Reason: see note in post
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:27   #77

HI All,
I had back pain problem a couple of weeks before ,but now its gone.
The reason being the changes made on my bike.
I have recently changed the rear suspension,changed my cushions infact hightened them by half an inch and finally i have the rims were out in alignment so got that done.
All the best for others too .
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:32   #78

I read a Q and A in Men's Health. Jan 2009 issue.

My lower back gives away on long bike rides. How can I solve it?
- Arjun Dik****, New Delhi

Core stability exercises help. While biking, stretch the back to keep it from stiffness. Get yourself professionally fitted to your bike. You've probably lost mobility in your hips and spine due to pedalling for long periods with your trunk bent forward. These therapies will help. Back saver 1: Loosen your hamstrings, glutes, middle back, and lower back by lying on a foam roll and rolling over each area for 30 seconds, double that for tender spots. Back saver 2: Increase your hip and stomach mobility by doing yoga's cat pose in 8 to 10 repetitions, twice a day or before and after rides. It makes your back supple and keeps the pain away.

Courtesy: Men's Health. Answered by Anant Joshi, MD, an expert in sport sciences and medicine.

I believe slowing down the bike while passing by the bumps should help. Riding with the same throttle on bumps will certainly harm the spine.

Regarding, Thunderbird, Its a real cruiser in my Opinion, and I have never heard any complains from any RE users so far on bike rides. This is one good reason why RE clubs and individual owners go for long rides. Can you do a 2500 KM trip in Splendor?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:43   #79

Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
To reduce back strain, you have to stand up while riding over bumps. You should have seen those 100cc rugged road bike races, where the rider stands up while riding through bumps. If you do this and make it a habit then you wont have much of a problem
Mate, this is a bad idea! you are litterally giving more stress on the back while doing this.. and rest of the life will be on bed incase if you manage to fall down / rear ended by other vehicles!!!!
You can do this while on a dirt track or race scenario where your focus is on certain parameters, wearing proper support jackets and stuffs and no chances of rear ending a big vehicle!!! What you say cannot be recommended to any street users! me thinks!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote