Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 16:56   #1
BHPian
 
men_in_jean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Lightbulb Pulsar Modifications

Hi Friends,

I am back in Team-bhp after a long time now... and also with some queries regarding my Pulsar modification(Yet again a Pulsar mod query.. sorry about that )

I enquired in a place regarding performance upgarde to my Pulsar 150 DTSi (2004)non alloy version. I wanted to fit in iridium plugs and K&N filter to my bike. I am not goin to jet my eninge since it affects some mileage so far i have seen. I am not much bothered about mileage but I get only 35 already. (dont know why, ran with local filter for a while but now everything is stock in it). The guy i enquired told me about porting the head!! I never knew it can be done to bikes too.. So thot of asking the experts here to throw some light on it.

1. Is it ok to go with head porting? will it have an impact on any other thing?
2. For iridum plugs they guy told me 2200 Rs for 2 plugs.. i felt that was more than the actual.. i am not sure about that too..
3. having a K&N without jetting is it of any real use. if there is no difference then i will not go for it.

One more weird thing I heard is from a guy in Pudhupet, who told me he will make my reach 130kmph and also increase the mileage by doing some alteration to clutch plates . I am almost sure thats not possible.. but thought let me put that too here in this post..

Help me Guru's..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by F50 : 1st February 2008 at 23:18.
men_in_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 20:25   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

You are being conned by various idiots who don't know what they're doing.

I am by no means an expert, but here's some advice: If you don't intend re-jetting to compensate for head work and breathing mods like an exhaust or K&N, then don't get into mods.

Indian 4-stroke bikes run super-lean as it is, and what you intend doing will only worsen it. I learnt this the hard way with burnt valves and other random failures.

Concentrate on bringing the vehicle back to stock performance levels, improve the mileage back to near brand new condition by carefully inspecting and replacing worn out parts in the carb (the jet needle, emulsion tube and float needle valve come to mind), and then think about mods.

Fitting plugs made of iridium or uranium will NOT give any gains. Just buy the 50 Rs. plug that is meant for the Pulsar and you will be happy. Thoroughly inspect the plug wires etc and replace them if faulty.

Head porting is a very precise art and its easy to screw it up. Make sure you go to a guy who knows what he's doing. I doubt you can gain very much through head porting alone.

Someone more tapped into the 4-stroke motorcycle tuning scene should be able to help you out better.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 31st January 2008 at 20:28.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 17:12   #3
BHPian
 
TomRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 332
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by men_in_jean View Post
1. Is it ok to go with head porting? will it have an impact on any other thing?
2. For iridum plugs they guy told me 2200 Rs for 2 plugs.. i felt that was more than the actual.. i am not sure about that too..
3. having a K&N without jetting is it of any real use. if there is no difference then i will not go for it.
1. The stock ports of Pulsar itself is gr8... Further porting will not give u a noticable difference..
2. Iridium plugs are not going to improve performance.. Only advantage is it will last long..
3. No difference.. dont go for it, unless your engine is not modded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by men_in_jean View Post
one more weird thing I heard is from a guy in Pudhupet, who told me he will make my reach 130kmph and also increase the mileage by doing some alteration to clutch plates . I am almost sure thats not possible.. but thought let me put that too here in this post..
3 words!
HEIGHTS OF STUPIDITY!
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 02:12   #4
BHPian
 
dhaval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by men_in_jean View Post

One more weird thing I heard is from a guy in Pudhupet, who told me he will make my reach 130kmph and also increase the mileage by doing some alteration to clutch plates . I am almost sure thats not possible.. but thought let me put that too here in this post..
A stock Pulsar can easily reach upto speeds of 110 kmph, which in my opinion is quiet okay for something which runs on 2-wheels.
And do we really care for the mileage when the bike in discussion is a Pulsar!!??


Dhaval

Last edited by dhaval : 4th February 2008 at 02:13.
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Squeezing that additional horsepower from our 2-valve four-strokes aren't that easy.

If looking at a daily driver, no porting/polishing/free flow jobs needed. Just de-carb the ports, grind the runners, & adjust the carb. Bas. Porting & angular valve jobs are easier said than done. Which is why most SBK's run kits done up by pros. Unfortunately, we do not have bolt-on kits over here for our bikes. Most of it is trial & error.

To be frank, I haven't seen a reliably breathed upon Indian bike that gives a significant jump in performance, till date.

Stock heads with bonga silencers will give better results than ported heads. You'll fry your exhaust valves, but will get that additional kick. For a while.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 22:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by men_in_jean View Post
One more weird thing I heard is from a guy in Pudhupet, who told me he will make my reach 130kmph and also increase the mileage by doing some alteration to clutch plates . I am almost sure thats not possible.. but thought let me put that too here in this post..
You may be confused. I think he's planning to sproket your bike to make it taller gearing.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 00:13   #7
BHPian
 
dhaval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: Once
Default

But does changing the sproket makes any noticeable difference in the performance? and is it about altering the existing one, or are there any special sprokets available for the same?
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 07:58   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Yes it does. You can change where the power comes in - low speed or high speed. I dont know about the 4-strokes, I havent fooled around too much with them, but for bikes like the Yamaha and KB you can vary between 1 & 3 teeth on the front alone.

IMO its more cost effective to change the front than the rear because 1. it costs less 2. the difference in gearing is more per tooth changed.
ananthkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 08:15   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

There is no replacement for displacement.

Why dont you consider swapping the 150 with a 180? It may be cost effective as you will get some price to your150.
But there might be some problems from RTO and insurance company.

Just my 2 cents.
raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 09:45   #10
BHPian
 
TomRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 332
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
But does changing the sproket makes any noticeable difference in the performance? and is it about altering the existing one, or are there any special sprokets available for the same?
If you increase the teeth in the rear sprocket, it will accelerate better.. but u will lose out the top-end; and if u decrease it u will get better top-end.. but it will kill the acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
There is no replacement for displacement.
Why dont you consider swapping the 150 with a 180? It may be cost effective as you will get some price to your150.
But there might be some problems from RTO and insurance company.
Just my 2 cents.
raj.
Swapping? Bike or the Bore? No matter if it is bike or bore, it wont be cost effective!
Just my 1 cent!
TomRider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 14:45   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,235
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
If you increase the teeth in the rear sprocket, it will accelerate better.. but u will lose out the top-end; and if u decrease it u will get better top-end.. but it will kill the acceleration.
yes, i second that.
if you do lot of touring you can decrease the teeth in the rear.
but if you ride mostly in the city you can increase the teeth in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
Swapping? Bike or the Bore? No matter if it is bike or bore, it wont be cost effective!
Just my 1 cent!
well, i was thinking about costs involved as following:
2000/- for plugs and wires.
another 2000/- for some poerformance air induction kit.
and how much for a performance exhaust kit? - may be another 3000/-.
porting and shaving another 3000/-.

That comes to around 10,000/-.

OR

Sell the current 150cc engine. how much can he get?? may be 5,000/-.
Buy an used 180cc engine. again for how much? may be around 10,000/- to 12,000/-.

the difference: 5,000 to 7,000 from the pocket. (if doesnt opt for the sprocket) still save some money for the labour cost.

@all,
if my approximations are wrong please correct me. those numbers are purely based on guess work and little knowledge gained here.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
well, i was thinking about costs involved as following:
2000/- for plugs and wires.
another 2000/- for some poerformance air induction kit.
and how much for a performance exhaust kit? - may be another 3000/-.
porting and shaving another 3000/-.
Wow. India has become expensive.

When I was working on my 2-strokes it was more like this:

plug and wire - Rs. 100
Performance filter - Rs. 150 because I made my own using industrial filters.
Exhaust - Rs. 500 again I made my own and hired a welder to fab it up.
Porting and shaving - Rs. 1500 for the jewelry grinder and Rs.100 for all the bits + time, money and energy for reading all the SAE papers and books.

Multiply all of this by 10 for all the development work and it comes pretty close to your figure but then the knowledge gained is priceless.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 6th February 2008 at 21:12.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 10:34   #13
BHPian
 
men_in_jean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You may be confused. I think he's planning to sproket your bike to make it taller gearing.
I am sure he did not mean sprocketing.. he told me about some alterations to the clutch plates and the gear box..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If looking at a daily driver, no porting/polishing/free flow jobs needed. Just de-carb the ports, grind the runners, & adjust the carb. Bas. Porting & angular valve jobs are easier said than done.
Stock heads with bonga silencers will give better results than ported heads. You'll fry your exhaust valves, but will get that additional kick. For a while.
Regarding de-carb the ports and adjusting carbs etc.. can the Service centre people do it?? Finding someone reliable for good mod in chennai is difficult as far as I've searched.
men_in_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

These 4 stroke machines cant give more than extra 2-3 HP even after modding it heavily, if you are serious about bikes try some 2 stroke bikes they are good for mods and easily you can get double the stock power.
BTW your signature says something else .
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 11:35   #15
BHPian
 
men_in_jean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

What my signature says is purely from my heart. I dont want any other bike, I love my bike. I just need to know a way to mod my bike for some little extra power if I can get.

And personally I dont like driving 2 stroke much becuase of its stability and braking at high speeds(for our roads..)
men_in_jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cosmetic Modifications on a Pulsar 220 v12 Motorbikes 34 8th April 2013 18:38
Modifications For Pulsar 150 Classic Kick Start msvg Motorbikes 4 16th March 2011 16:48
Modifications for Gypsy King - Does the sequence of modifications matter? khan_sultan Modifications & Accessories 18 6th September 2009 14:02
Modifications to Bajaj Pulsar 1000bhp Motorbikes 21 30th June 2006 23:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks