Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th February 2008, 14:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

kkr2k2 if you do have the chance to get the pictures of the internal components after the drive shaft and gear box is removed please do post it, might help us in giving you a better feed back by some who have done this kind of thing before here!

i think you should be able to put in the new bullet 500's sprocket as it got 35odd nm torque!

Last edited by rider60 : 20th February 2008 at 14:55.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 10:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Must be possible

If you are still viewing this thread

KK..I am not able to view the pics thru office n/w...can u upload them as a attachment rather than links...

i have a diesel bullet for 2.5 years and personally seen the fitting of Lombardini engines onto bullet frames... they are more like the 425 CC air cooled engines... but i guess anything is possible on a bullet... if you know of Centaurus Prototype in Germany then u will know what i am talkin of...

[COLOR=#0000cc]www.dieselbike.net/currentconversions.htm[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#22229c]Enfield-Palette[/COLOR]

Let me know if you need help and advice...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 09:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

KK,all the pictures have one problem "Angle" Can you have some photos from the ground level say from 5-7feet distance. I need to look at the flywheel size and drive shaft out of the engine and please keep some measurement scale next to the engine while taking snaps (like a cop taking mug shots of a dead body :-) gives a better mental image for readers like me. I gut feeling says that if you are serious about this conversion this is technicaly possible. Have you ever heard of the Sikh In Punjab who shoe horned a 1.3L Esteem engine into a bullet. Keep your hopes alive.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
If you are still viewing this thread
KK..I am not able to view the pics thru office n/w...can u upload them as a attachment rather than links...
the mods and support staff are looking into this matter, i would like to wait till the matter is resolved. I dont want a duplicate posts.
Quote:
KK,all the pictures have one problem "Angle" Can you have some photos from the ground level say from 5-7feet distance. ....
Have you ever heard of the Sikh In Punjab who shoe horned a 1.3L Esteem engine into a bullet. Keep your hopes alive.
ok, i will be going to the factory sometime in the next month and possibly to the engine manufacturer's place also. I will get better pics of the engines.

yes, i did hear about that, i think i have seen it in team-bhp itself or may be on xbhp.

raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 12:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Unlike a regular engine, this one has the tranny, engine and all the stuff related are made into one single unit. May be the HUGE gear box can be removed, and the engine can be mounted onto the 500's tranny.

Please put in your comments and suggestions.
If you possibly mount, would u think about using a shaft(a salvaged shaft from another bike) instead of a chain to drive the wheel. it just a whacky idea i got after i read this bit of ur post.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 18:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
How about this:

Make use of the engine block and the carb and remove the entire transmission thing. Is there any possibility of coupling this block with the stock transmission of the bullet 500? now i guess we need not worry about the getting the final drive to the sprocket.

raj
The fundamental problem is that you have to slice this transmission case which is an aluminum casting and weld it back up to patch it. There are not many people who can weld aluminum reliably. Otherwise you have to make your own casting using the internal guts of this engine and this is an even bigger task.

Rather than mate it to the RE500 gearbox, I would suggest retaining the APE gearbox, removing just the differential from this unit. There should be a gearbox output gear that drives the diff input gear (ring gear). After throwing away the diff, replace the gearbox output gear with a sproket and take the drive from that to the rear wheel of your bike using a chain. Now the left right alignment of the engine should be such that the front sproket lines up with the rear.

At this point, you need to find a way to seal the case back together and thats where you take 1/2 inch thick aluminum plates and weld it back together.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th March 2008 at 01:56.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 12:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

i overtook a Ape Truck recently on the highway and noticed a serious problem that KK and other hardcore auto mech;s here need to help out. I think the engine, rather the driveshaft coming out of it is vertical and not horizontal, say something like a Typical indian Lorry;s drive coming straight out from engines rear rather than a Maruti 800's drive coming from the side of the engine. If what i saw is true then need some brain stroming on how to harness that shaft to drive a sprocket sideways
Old 18th March 2008, 15:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i overtook a Ape Truck recently on the highway and noticed a serious problem that KK and other hardcore auto mech;s here need to help out. I think the engine, rather the driveshaft coming out of it is vertical and not horizontal, say something like a Typical indian Lorry;s drive coming straight out from engines rear rather than a Maruti 800's drive coming from the side of the engine. If what i saw is true then need some brain stroming on how to harness that shaft to drive a sprocket sideways
kk??? are you asking me?

sorry buddy i am not a mech forget about being hardcore!

I am just a team-bhpian who is helping out a fellow team-bhpian. BTW, i am a businessman, I sell three wheelers equipped with the engine which i showed in the pics.

As for the Ape truck, thank you for pointing it out. Even though being in the same industry i ignored to check it out personally.

raj.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Bumping this thread
What is the actual cost of this water cooled single cylinder engine.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 22:28   #25
BHPian

isn't your friend on xbhp? i think i've seen that thread.

anyway my 2 paisas:
1) boat engine: not sure where you can get them but going back 20+ yrs when my dad was the secretary of the naval sailing club in cochin, we used to use these motor boats with detachable engines at the rear (as with all boats/ships). you basically hooked it onto the back of the boat. IIRC, those were in the region of 20-30 bhp (not sure about engine capacity) and were diesels.
2) there's some sardar somewhere who strapped on an M800 engine onto a bullet so i guess you have your answer about whether the mating is possible.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 11:50   #26
BHPian

Warning : this extends kkr2k2's idea ... and so is OT.

Disregarding fuel economy, what would it take to mount an Indian Aluminium alloy construction petrol engine (either a 1.0 liter Zen or 1.3 liter Esteem / Swift engine) into a Bullet frame ?

I have a feeling there should be someone out there who's already tried this ...

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Mods : if this merits another thread, please feel free to relocate.
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 13:25   #27
Team-BHP Support

FourWheelDrift, M800/Esteem etc., engines have been transplanted to bikes. Even Autocar carried a story on that.
You can continue your discussion here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...gine-bike.html (Using a maruti 800 engine on a bike?)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 22:54   #28
BANNED

The engine in pic is a Direct injection engine . It would be very difficult to drive the bike .

A sensible mod would to source a 600cc -700 cc IDI engine from any manufacturer as the engine would be cheaper and the additional gearbox would not be required .

Incase if you need to use the same engine shown in the pics , then you can dummy one side of the drive shaft and use the other one . but , pls do check the rotation of the engine .
You might end up cutting the wrong side of the shaft .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 18:53   #29
BHPian

Bumping this thread after a long time. I hope kkr2k2 will help in this regard.
@kkr2k2
What will be the cost of 482cc liquid cooled and aircooled engines. I am planning to fit to my diesel bullet. This engine can reach upto 4500 rpm which is pretty good for diesel cruiser. I need your help please . I need to start this project now. Its been an year with no progress.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 16:52   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Bumping this thread after a long time. I hope kkr2k2 will help in this regard.
Its been an year with no progress.
There might be light at the end of the tunnel finally . I have sourced a 1 litre crdi diesel engine for my bike project .
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote