Team-BHP - Group Riding Dynamics and Safety issues
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Group Riding Dynamics and Safety issues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/35894-group-riding-dynamics-safety-issues.html)

May I suggest we kick off a discussion on Group Riding Dynamics and the need for some form of regulation.

As much as motorcycling is fun it is a sport that can turn deadly if engaged in without due attention to safety precautions.

I could have started off this thread with a long list of do's and don'ts, but figured it would be more fruitful if all kinds of views are aired and some consensus develops as the thread unfolds.

The first thing to remember is that you dont need to try and compete with someone in the group. Let the others do what they want, you should know what you want to do. There are some guys who think they are super hero's when they get on the bike and leave the group behind when on a ride. Such people should go alone if thats what they want to do and you should try and avoid calling such people for a ride in the first place. Try and ride with 'like minded' guys as much as possible.

1.Signal For / Call Out Obstacles :Like Potholes.This is very helpful to avoid group crashes also.You should guide others and it will be a chain reaction.

Don’t Hit those Brakes :This also very important.You speed is not important.The speed of the group is important.Maintain constant speed and avoid breaking as much as possible.

Newbie:If you are the senior member take care of the junior member.Other wise they will end up in mess.It is a group responsibility.

Be always ready for emergency.Money/Mobile/first aid.

This is a nice thread and hope the experts pass on their knowledge here. Have always wondered about the unwritten rules of riding/driving in groups, like who takes the lead, how you alternate positions, signs that can be passed down the group following and stuff like that.

I agree on the point that driving in a group is only worth it when driving with like minded individuals. Hate it when people taking the lead try to maintain a fast pace, which you know is not sustainable over a long period.

Hi DKG,

An interesting topic. I am member of a yahoo group called Bikenomads, we have group riding rules which we follow religiously.

This is for group rides done on highways.

I am posting the rules here

Quote:

Author: Vibhu Rishi
Group: Bikenomads Yahoo group

Group riding.

Here is a small writeup on things to keep in mind while riding your
bikes on the highway. I am only considering the roads of India here
(left side drive).

Composition :
-------------

Genrally a leader is designated for the trip or part of the trip, and a
drag. Most of the times, experienced people, who have done rides before,
take up these roles. The remaining people take the positions in between.
Its best to ride in a staggered formation. If you ride parallel, you
have the tendency to talk to the other person - dangerous. If you ride
in a line, you may not be able to see the other person behind you. Also,
bikes are not really considered by the bus and truck drivers as being on
the road. Going staggered makes the group appear bigger and other
drivers take notice of it.

The Leader :
------------

He is the path breaker, and is the head of the group. You gotta follow
the leader.

The leader needs to take care that he leads the group at a comfortable
pace. If you see that people are falling behind, you need to slow down.

When overtaking buses and trucks on the highway make sure that you don't
just squeeze into spaces. As an experienced person, you can easily do
it, but a novice may be following you and may not be able to handle it.

Use your brake lights to effect. Don't unnecessarily use your brakes.
Brake only when needed. This will indicate to the person behind that a
decrease in speed is needed.

Use hand signals. We normally raise the right hand , palm facing front
to signal a stop, or a drastic decrease in speed .. eg. when a heard of
cows want to cross the raod ! Another one is a sweep of the hand
signalling who ever is behind to take the lead.

The Drag :
----------

Needs to make sure that the people are going on. Basically you need a
drag in case someone gets into some trouble. Since you are experienced,
you may be able to handle the situation. The Drag also tells people the
common mistakes that they may be making. e.g. Falling back too much
behind the leader. Taking the curves too fast..

Stopping :
----------

We use three long blasts of the horn with the left indicator on. Beeeeep
Beeeeep Beeeeep. This signals the person leading that the person behind
wants to stop.
Start stopping only when the leader starts to stop.

Speed :
-------

Speed is generally governed by the slowest bike. Since you are going in
a group,resist the impulse to go off ahead of the slower riders.

If you are going in a group of powerful bikes , then its best not to
allow slower bikes as it may make the trip a bit frustrating, going at
the slower speeds.

Again, its advisable to ride at speeds lower than the max speed of your
bikes. I have found that in our group consisting of Pulsars and CBZs,
the comfortable speeds on the Highways is 80kmph, and off it is about
60kmph.

India has a lot of towns and villages along the highway. Its better
practice to slowdown to about 40kmph as soon as you see an aggregation
of people. Lifestock and people have a tendancy to take a stroll on the
road just as you are gunning on it. Use the horn libreally. They will
see your bike coming, but not move out of the way, but a horn is
effective. Another thing I found effective (if your horn is not having
the desired effect, especailly in crowded lanes), is to rev up your
engine. An enfield revving up will easily clear a path for you ! ;-)

Tips for Overtaking :
---------------------

1. NEVER, overtake from the left on the Highway.
2. Make sure that there is available space to overtake.
3. Mostly we do rides at 80kmph, riding in 5th gear. This gear does not
have much of acceleration power. In this case, drop a gear and then
accelerate. This gives you better acceleration.
4. Remember, if you feel the slightest hesitation in overtaking, dont.
Take your time. You'll get better with time. Don't worry.
5. If you overtake, make the overtaking process as fast as possible.
After overtaking, slow down.
Hope this helps

I think we should not make rules like 3 long horns etc.Stick to basic rules.

It is best to stick to standards.When you want to stop put indicater long enough and change lane and stop.

Other points are cute!;)

When the group grows to 12 to 15 bikers then you have all sorts of riders. This is where it gets complicated. Some who are skilled and want to ride ahead get joined by those who are not skilled but want to stay ahead...that's where the danger lies as these guys end up riding beyond their limits.

Ego's invariably play a huge role in all this and believe me its tough trying to persuade a large group to self regulate.

The tough part is taking a call on guys who ride irresponsibly. I've always tried to be democratic about it but its very tough

Technocrat

Great going...that's just the way to build on self regulation. But tell me how effectively does it get adhered to in your group. The biggest problem to me is not in knowing what's right for the group but having individuals implement it. How do you ensure it works smoothly. What control elements do you use?

Lets take problem no. 1

The guy who always wants to ride ahead of the pack. ALWAYS!!!

How do we deal with this guy. The scary part about having such a character in the group is that while often he is a good rider and able to stay ahead of the pack he invariably triggers a subtle battle for the lead as other riders with a competitive streak and not as skilled start taking chances to upset the cart and establish themselves as the guy ahead.

a must read thread for all enthusiasts who often go for long rides/drives. this discussion holds true for not only people on bikes but drivers as well.

a couple of points i d like to mention is that when travelling it is always beneficial that one of the members be familiar with fixing bikes. although most of the guys would know how to do it to some extent, a professional would be recommended. if not possible get a list of all mechanic shops along the route you are travelling which will help if something was to happen.

also carry a mini first aid kit. it may include cotton, dettol, bandages, gauge and some tablets for stomach or headache or anything else that we may feel is necessary.

DKG, the nomads did a recent annual meet at hampi, where the team from blr, some 12 guys, followed it to a T, no one speeding over 80 - for over 400km.

that's good enough.

rest, there's always Motorcycle Safety Site for all the gyan in life :)

Dettol??!:Shockked: Lets change that to Savlon. Had enough of that when I was a kid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 732064)
team from blr, some 12 guys, followed it to a T, no one speeding over 80 - for over 400km.

You obviously have a mature bunch. How would you address the problem 1 mentioned earlier

DKG as phamilyman said we follow it to the T. We rarely get such people as most of the people who join are willing to learn & if we do we don't allow such people to ride with us in future.

From my personal experience I dont like to ride in a group bigger than 5-6 riders but I have ridden with various groups, one of such was a group of 15+ people & few were as you mention & we simply discarded them & on the next common stop warned them to either ride properly or stay out of our way

Technocrat has done a good contribution. As a Bulleteer, a rider by heart, mod and member of many clubs, have done plenty of group rides ranging from 100 KMs to few thousands. Here are my few cents.

1. Always ride at the pace of slowest rider. Don't let the gap too close (safe braking distance) or too long (say more than 200 mtrs). This will help to get the synchronisation well and an appeal from others.

2. Inside towns and cities, keep the rider ahead and behind in visible distance. You may get lost from the group.

3. Switch on head lights or atleast park lights. It will help in case of other's visibility to you as well as your visibility to the rider behind you (you can see the lights in your RVM and make sure guys are following).

4. When you overtake and see a vehicle aproaching from opposite side and feel that it will block the next rider, signal him to back. Same time, when you overtake and see the road ahead is clear, you can signal him to follow. This will save some time and help the rider behind you.

5. Pack your things well, use good quality packing stuff like paniers or cramster, and don't make the group slow down or stop because of your loose luggages.

6. Stay at your position and ride. Dont play tricks like rip-overtake-retard. If you feel like to rip in a good plain stretch, give a signal to the lead rider, rip and enjoy and comeback to your previous postion.

7. Watch good riders among the group and learn good riding. But don't try to imitate anybody and show your half learned skills. Somebody may be good at something which is not there in your case. Always ride in your comfortable pace and skills. If you are riding in a good group, you will synchronise with the group and vice versa.

8. Plan the next stop when starting. Avoid stopping every now and then and for very silly reasons. If people start stopping crazily, the group ride will become very slow with a poor average timing.

9. Try to watch the bike immediately ahead of you. You may be able to see if some flaws are there in tyres, handling, exhaust, swing-arm etc and warn the rider before something bad happens, if any. you may also get this kind of inputs from the rider behind you.

10. Ride like a band of brothers, in a very good manner, keeping the traffic rules and in perfect harmony. You will get respect from fellow people who share the road. This is very important.

For your safety and to ensure your bike lasts many years please beware of the following:

1. All vehicles parked by the road side are invariably waiting to make a turn blocking your path

2. All vehicles driving along either side of the road may swerve without warning running you off the road or causing accidents

3. Old men and women in villages want to cross the road just as you arrive at their hamlet

4. On all bends expect three trucks overtaking each other simultaneously occupying the road and the gravel beside it leaving you absolutely no room to manuevre

5. Dogs and other domesticated animals have resolved to run across the moment they see you so they get hit by you

6. Tractors with trailors, Buses and Trucks wait on side roads for that moment when they can amble onto the road completely blocking it leaving you no room to manuevre

7. Other motorcyclists don't like you on the road and will do anything to frustrate you, run into you, or spring surprises from side roads only to freak you out

8. Fellow riders will overtake you in tight spots, cut into your lane ahead of you and brake to save their lives while endangering yours

9. Fellow riders will ride beyond their limits making you want to do the same

10. Ensure your tyre pressure is ok and the nuts and bolts of your bike tightened in case its one of those assembled superbikes

11. Speed breakers are meant to break your bike and kill you as most remain unannounced. Potholes too have joined the race to end your existence

12. Trees and shrubs along the road have conspired with animate and inanimate objects to provide just the right cover to spring surprises on you as you ride along

13. Diesel and sand on the road have agreed one of them will end your happiness

14. All truck mechanics have resolved that if their truck breaksdown on the road they will see to it that large stones are left on the road so that either your bike/car is totalled and/or you get killed

Getting the gist of what we need to anticipate on Indian roads??? I keep track of all of the above all the time I ride allowing me to complete 10 years of awesome fun over 20000 kms.

Hope you find these useful!!

Nicely written Jay :)

One more thing usually the Drag or the last member in the pack should have the fastest or one of the fastest bikes so that in case some one has to stop he can race ahead & notify the pack leader