Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th January 2005, 13:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

I don't think any one here will argue the point that helmets save lives. I would never tell someone not to wear a helmet. I wear mine most of the time as well.

However my point is different. I would like the freedom to chose whether I want to wear a helmet or not. Thats it.

In a country where motorcycles are used more for commuting than enjoyment, a helmet can be a real problem at times. What happens when you meet a friend on the road. Where do you carry the 2nd helmet? Leave it locked on your bike and its sure to get stolen sooner or later. So that means you carry 2 helmets around whereever you go?

Why are Sardar's exempted from the rule? The Govt. is kidding themselves when they say a turban provides the same level of safety as a helmet.

NC, I think its great you always wore your jacket and helmet. I can't do that, not in the city. On longer rides when you have constant circulation, yes, but not in city traffic!

It has been documented in studies conducted abroad that there is no change in the fatality figures from states that mandate the use of helmets and those that leave the option free.

Since everyone here is so extremely concerned about safety (rightfully so), let me just put out a general question to all:

How many here have ever had a drink or 2 and then jumped in the drivers seat? Maybe the answer to that would be the best argument yet for mandating helmets!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:00   #17
BHPian

Well said..
Ya right we are a democracy.. Its our wish.. Whatever..
I guess there is no point in the Govt making it compulsary... If one feels it'l save his or her head, then use it or else dont....
But I feel in the city, with smoke all over the place, it helps....
2nd helmet for pillion, well no way u can carry a spare helmet around...
It's just the reasons people give for not using one that is so dumb.....
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
Well said..
Ya right we are a democracy.. Its our wish.. Whatever..
I guess there is no point in the Govt making it compulsary... If one feels it'l save his or her head, then use it or else dont....
But I feel in the city, with smoke all over the place, it helps....
2nd helmet for pillion, well no way u can carry a spare helmet around...
It's just the reasons people give for not using one that is so dumb.....
I find using democracy as means to evade helmet as simply rubbish. In same democracy, no one is allowed to commit suicide. Not wearing helmet on unsafe roads is not exactly suicide but close to it.

I was/am always in favour of helmets. And if people dont understand it, it's governments job to make them understand. It is afterall for their own good. There are hundreds of laws, which were made to make life simpler and better but met with resistance.

I use helmet and find most of the claims against using helmet as simply [color=Red]rubbish[/color] and [color=Red]atrocious[/color]. I know, I have strong opinion about it and most wont like it.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:38   #19
BHPian

RX,
I used the terms like democracy.. But you got me wrong there.. I'm definetly in for helmets.. But in India, I really doubt if impossing it as a rule would work.. that all.... I certainly feel all must wear one, but like rtech said, leave it to the individuals..
Old 25th January 2005, 14:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
RX,
I used the terms like democracy.. But you got me wrong there.. I'm definetly in for helmets.. But in India, I really doubt if impossing it as a rule would work.. that all.... I certainly feel all must wear one, but like rtech said, leave it to the individuals..
Sorry about that, I got you wrong!

With indian psyche, things dont change unless you compel them for it. There will be lot of resistance but things will change once people get used to it. Key is enforcing it consistently and uniformly. As I remember, people even complained about traffic signals and then got used to them
Old 25th January 2005, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Since everyone here is so extremely concerned about safety (rightfully so), let me just put out a general question to all:

How many here have ever had a drink or 2 and then jumped in the drivers seat? Maybe the answer to that would be the best argument yet for mandating helmets!
Never ever in my life*

[size=1]*I do not drink regularly.[/size]
Old 25th January 2005, 15:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Sorry about that, I got you wrong!

With indian psyche, things dont change unless you compel them for it. There will be lot of resistance but things will change once people get used to it. Key is enforcing it consistently and uniformly. As I remember, people even complained about traffic signals and then got used to them
But it wont work with just compulsion.. May be u'l have to come with offers like - "Wear helmet while going to college or office and every month end u get paid for that"....
Old 25th January 2005, 15:13   #23
BHPian

Am wuite surprised that in a city like Mumbai, helmet law has become mandatory NOW. In Calcutta, we had the helmet law for atleast last 8-10 years.
Infact when I had my bike, I never used to go out without a helmet...not because of the law but for my own safety. Infact I always used to carry a spare helmet incase I met someone and wanted to give him a ride (a question raised here by many saying what happens if I want to give a ride to someone). Man, buy an extra helmet..U spend so much on the bike & its modifications, spend a little bit extra on a spare helmet!
And as per law, only helmets which cover your full face or atleast your ears are permitted...the helmets like cricketers /jockies wear are illegal since they do not protect your head properly.

Men....Invest in a good helmet, for your family's happiness!!!!
arijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 15:25   #24
BHPian

Good to hear that rules like these, which are important exists in Kolkata and for 8-10yrs, awesome.... Doubt it'l not even last a few months here in Kerala... Really sad that people dont feel the need...
Old 25th January 2005, 15:53   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Infact I always used to carry a spare helmet incase I met someone and wanted to give him a ride (a question raised here by many saying what happens if I want to give a ride to someone). Man, buy an extra helmet..U spend so much on the bike & its modifications, spend a little bit extra on a spare helmet!
Thats great!

The problem is not one of buying a helmet. Where and how do you take it with you everywhere you go? Not everyone rides, or wants to ride, with a big pannier box on their bike. Ok, if you have a scooter which can take a helmet under the seat great, what if you don't?
Old 25th January 2005, 15:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
However my point is different. I would like the freedom to chose whether I want to wear a helmet or not. Thats it.

Why are Sardar's exempted from the rule? The Govt. is kidding themselves when they say a turban provides the same level of safety as a helmet.
Hey Rt

how will u decide that riding without a helmet is safe ? and riding at a particular time or place is not safe ?? how ? and what if we meet friends yaar ?? we can remove the helmets and talk no big deal!!

then tommorow people mite come and say i want the freedom to choose whether i stop at a red light or no ......then what happens ?? and whats the big deal in carrying the 2nd helmet around ??? maan ??? what ???

why is there such a resistance maan ? beats me !!! amazing reasons being handed out for not wearing a helmet ( it increases dandruff ...*** maan)

yeah the sardars being exempt is a silly rule but where will they wear the helmet ?? i dont support that sardars shudnt wear helmets ...

the rule should be appicable uniformly for everybody riding a 2 wheeler !! and till the time it isnt why dont we just follow it ?? it is for our safety rite?

Cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 16:06   #27
BHPian

NC,
Agree with u..
We can only say, its upto people to follow it.... Carrying a spare one around is too much of an ask.. We'll protect our heads..
But its high time people think for themselves about safety, cant expect Govt to come up with rules.. No more spoon feeding required..
Just dont get it.. Why doesnt people feel the need to protect their head?!! Why??
Old 25th January 2005, 16:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how will u decide that riding without a helmet is safe ? and riding at a particular time or place is not safe ?? how ?
Again, I am not making any claim saying that IT IS SAFE!! I'm saying I want the right to choose yaar!!!

Quote:
and what if we meet friends yaar ?? we can remove the helmets and talk no big deal!! and whats the big deal in carrying the 2nd helmet around ??? maan ??? what ???
huh! I meant if you want to give the poor dude a ride! Will you carry around another helmet all the time? The big deal is WHERE do you carry that around! Have a driver in a car follow you with it???

Quote:
then tommorow people mite come and say i want the freedom to choose whether i stop at a red light or no ......then what happens ??
This affects the public in general. It is a different matter. Lets not get ridiculous here!

Quote:
But its high time people think for themselves about safety, cant expect Govt to come up with rules.. No more spoon feeding required..
YESSS!!! phew...atleast one person understands where I'm coming from!!

Hey NC, do you like it when the cops come around at 1am and tell you to go home. That is for "your own safety" too!
Old 25th January 2005, 16:31   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Even though there would be no conclusive evidence available of the same in India, I can bet you that head injury is the number one cause of motorcycle fatalaties in India. Helmets are more so important in India since the road and traffic conditions have absolutely no organisation. I never ever drive without my seatbelt. And have never riden my ex-RX100 without a helmet. I would much rather feel sweaty in the face for a while than to have my brains spilt out on the road!

People dont like being told what to do. But in some instances, it may just be deemed as necessary. Tell me, whats the harm in enforcing something that even you agree is beneficial? The loss of "freedom to choose" is totally outweighed even by ONE SINGLE LIFE that may be saved by enforcing this rule.

Quote:

It has been documented in studies conducted abroad that there is no change in the fatality figures from states that mandate the use of helmets and those that leave the option free.
I can show you an equal amount of research that shows that there has been a positive change in fatality figures. How about some real life testimonials too? Helmets have saved lives..me and you both know it!

Do you also assert that seat belts should not have been made mandatory for drivers? Just like helmets can cause some inconvenience...I know some women (and obese men) who may be uncomfortable in a seatbelt.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 16:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The loss of "freedom to choose" is totally outweighed even by ONE SINGLE LIFE that may be saved by enforcing this rule.
Where do you draw the line then? Would you be willing to give up your privacy in exchange for safety? Would you be willing to have camera's in your house and on every single road so the govt. can see that nobody is up to any unlawfull activity?

The argument would be that the Govt. is looking after the best interest of the majority of the public, hence you gotto live with it.

I know thats stretching it, but in principle, it is the same.

Seatbelts, well, yea, it would be the same case. Leave it to the person to make his/her decission. However, you don't carry your seatbelt with you when you get of the car do you?

I again say that I am NOT against the wearing of helmets or the fact that they do indeed save lives!! I am simply FOR the right to be treated like an adult who is responsible enough to make my own decisions.