Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th August 2008, 05:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
I think that Shogun was the First Indian Bike to have the Sprint Gear Technology and it was only after Shogun that CBZ launched the Sprint Gear Technology. Correct me if i'm wrong...
And what exactly is this sprint gear technology?

I am a Shogun fan too, never could own one as the factory had stopped production and went in for the cousin instead, Shaolin. But please, no comparisons to RX100 or RX135.

But then, i have to put in my two cents.You have to understand that the Shogun was a highly tuned engine(read lesser reliability when thrashed) whereas the RX135 was in a milder state of tune ex-factory and left a lot of potential to be unleashed. Shogun was a pocket rocket that you could buy from the showroom and head straightaway to a rally/race. In my experience(we had hoards of Shoguns in college), Shoguns had a high wear rate, owing to their state of tune. If you really thrashed one around for couple of years, you had to do a rebuild. Most of the guys whom I knew did not, so they were riding around toothless lions.

The exhaust note of the original Shogun was something to die for, especially above 5k-6k rpm's.

Last edited by kuttapan : 19th August 2008 at 05:08.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 07:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
And what exactly is this sprint gear technology?

The exhaust note of the original Shogun was something to die for, especially above 5k-6k rpm's.
Even the once with CAT sounded awesome! i had a 2000 model it used to be a head turner esp when the baby is Hot... couple of times have been caught by the cops too
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 01:12   #33
Default I am just so glad to see all shogun fans here

I bought one in Sep 95 ... I started rallying in 97 and never could race on anything but a Shogun. I did 2 rallies in 97, 3 in 98, the Raid in 99, 01, and 2 in 03 ... the bike just stayed and gave me one podium finish after the other.

I had modified the front suspension, was using one from the imported Yamaha 125 which gave me a smoother ride, specially on riverbed sections etc ...

Before coming to US in 03 (WONDER WHY, WHY WHY) I sold it with the suspension for merely 15K that I spent on a party before I left.

But tell you the truth, no other bike has been close to it's overall performance (handling, power, durability). I also had an RX 100 but only used it for dirt races / motocrosses or for recces).

Raakesh_Blokhra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 11:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

What does sprint gear technology mean? It was just line on the CBZ put by the company. If you mean the accelerator pump that was on the CBZ carb than ,that was only available on the CBZ and no other had it.
As for the unreliability part , shogun was Highly tuned machine in the days were the concept of oil was "sir get anything oil is oil" most of the people who bought them, just wanted to be different thats it [the sound of the bike put a smile on my Dads face too] Who hates Bikes.
If one took care of the bike according to the company schedule the bike was reliable, I had mine for 7.5 years, And had to go through two engine rebuilds at around 65,000 KM each time, for a 110cc ,14bhp [more in my case, had an expansion chamber] it's really good, gear box was not touched at all, except for oil seals,clutch plates were changed every 45,000 km, sprockets were changed once, suspension had to be rebuilt once,and thats it.
I used Mobil1 synthetic for the gear box, and used shell 2T for the engine.Had the four point spark plugs which were available from bosch [direct import by some dealers ] The engine ran like a dream.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 17:21   #35

Hi All,

I have a query to ask, and found no better place than this where they discuss shoguns now a days

I am getting a 2000 shogun, with 28k done and apparanetly in mint condition for 15k.
Is this the right price? One friend of mine who owns '97 shogun said that the 'guns with catcon produced 2BHP less than the pre-catcon 'guns. is it true? In his opinion 15k is bit steep even if bike is well maintained on the account of non-availability of spares. Even frequently broken and needed parts like front fairing/tail lamp are not available.
Its not the price, but non-availability of parts is scaring me.
amol4184 is offline   Reply With Quote