Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th February 2015, 00:43   #16
Default Re: A motorcycle riding school, does India need one?

Originally Posted by Revved Soul View Post
Fellow BHPians,
In my opinion :
- A riding school should be available regularly which teaches at least the very basic skills(clutch and brake control, friction point, etc.).
- Creates awareness about safe riding.
- Should teach at a nominal cost.
- Should issue certificates which will then help the person to get a separate motorcycle license.

Pros :
- Less hooligans on roads
- Improved traffic etiquette due to less lane splitting, etc.
- More awareness regarding powerful motorcycles and how to use them

Cons :
- People experimenting with their skills on public roads.

So what`s your opinion about this?
+1 The Pros far outweigh the cons. If you have your skills in place and follow rules, people wouldn't want to experiment their stunts on public roads. There will still be nuts who will want to act like hooligans on the road, but at least the rest of us will have better sense prevail.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 11:19   #17
Default Re: Motorcycle school? Want to learn riding & maintenance/mechanicals

Yes, I agree, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Also, it`s high time India should have separate licenses for cars and two wheelers. Gone is the time when motorcycles meant commuting only. Today, it is also seen as a recreational activity. Needless to say, the variety and power options available are enough to entice people into buying.
Revved Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 00:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Revved Soul View Post
Also, it`s high time India should have separate licenses for cars and two wheelers. .

Well, im not sure who it works for all of India, but I have a two wheeler license only here in Delhi.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 09:11   #19
Default Learning how to ride a bike

Dear BHPians, this is probably a very silly topic but need tour help in this matter. I have always been a car guy. The moment I got my first job, I bought a car. After that, I never had the urge to ride a bike. I have been driving for the last 15 years. However, recently, owning a bike / scooter has become a necessity. I have shifted to a new place in New Town, Kolkata and here having a 2-wheeler is a lot more convenient. I have seen some driving school cars and had contacted them. However, they mentioned that they do not teach anyone, they can just provide the license if you bring your own bike. So, if anyone has any idea, could you please let me know one of the following:
A) are there any centers in Kolkata (preferably in Saltlake / Newtown region), where they teach you the basics of bike riding, and / or
B) are there any place where they allow you to rent a bike (by the hour/daily)

Its a bit embarrassing to ask such a basic question in this forum, but hope everyone understands the predicament I am in.

Deblovestodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Learning how to ride a bike

Hi Deb.
If you know how to ride a bi-cycle, then it should not be an issue at all. As riding is all about balance. But if you don't then first check if you can try riding a bicycle and then you move to a two-wheeler.

Now coming to riding schools or centers, I will suggest, if you know anyone who has a two-wheeler then just borrow the two wheeler and request that person to come along with you to a nearby ground or empty road ( early mornings) for small rides for a couple of days.

Otherwise, buy a new or a used two-wheeler and ask any of our friends, who knows how to ride and have a valid driving license, to accompany you for a few days during practice runs and you should be all set.

Also please do make sure to get proper riding gears. I know its very uncomfortable during summer over there in kolkata to wear riding gears, but its always better to sweat then bleed.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Schoudhury : 18th April 2015 at 12:16.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 13:17   #21
Default Re: Learning how to ride a bike

I suggest you go through some of the material on motorcycle safety- MSF. That will give you some good grounding especially regarding the safety aspects.

When I first learnt from a friend some of the things I was told was exactly opposite of what should be done.
Top on the list was not to use the front brake, later I found the exact opposite was true - 70% braking front brake.
These are not intentional mistakes-he just didn't know any better.
SO make sure you chose the right 'friend' to teach you.
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 13:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of questions
Do you have balance. Basically means do you know to cycle and have you spent a lot of time riding cycles in your childhood?
Are you keen on a bike only? From your requirement, a scooter would suit your purpose well. Are you ok with a scooter?

If answer to both is yes, don't bother about finding a teacher. Buy a scooter- new or 2nd hand, take the help of a friend to take it to a ground/ open space, and practice for a couple of hours everyday. You should get comfortable in no time.

If you do not have cycle balance, then it is a little tricky. You will need someone sitting behind initially. This is tricky as it can be a little dangerous for the guy in the back. You can still slowly do it by yourself, but will need a lot of patience and practice. If you want a bike as opposed to scooter it becomes a little more difficult.

Note: riding in traffic filled roads in the middle of all other vehicles requires a lot of confidence. My relative was in the same situation, wanted to learn. So got a scooter, learnt to balance, then learnt enough to pass the driving test. But when it came to taking it out on the road, till this day she has not gained the confidence to do it.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 13:33   #23

Re-Bumping up the thread.

Don't the IDTR schools of Maruti teach motorcycle riding in the country? Their website mentions a two-wheeler programme.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 23:58   #24

There is one by hero in Gurgaon behind Crowne Plaza hotel.

The place is run as a formality. Timings are less than regular office, and they always say 'corporate booking, please come back' wait for it...... "after 3-4 months"
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 10:45   #25

The crazy way people drive these days, a course in defensive driving should be a MUST before getting anyone a license. And auto drivers need to undergo it every year.
farhadtarapore is online now   Reply With Quote