Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th April 2008, 16:56   #1
BHPian

Default Problem with my CBZ's reflectors, Please help !!!

My CBZ's reflectors are covered with mist, i am facing this problem from quitw afwe months,i have no idea how to over come this problem, please help out guyz.

The first picture is with low beam and second one with hi beam.
Attached Images

praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:01   #2
BHPian

We cant make out with night pics.

Are you sure it mist ? Seems absurd. Might just be that the reflectors plastic is tainted. Get them removed and clean the in-and-out.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 17:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
We cant make out with night pics.

Are you sure it mist ? Seems absurd. Might just be that the reflectors plastic is tainted. Get them removed and clean the in-and-out.
ok will post some day pics too, how to clean it ? i am sure it should not be cleaned with a cloth. there is something else..
Old 5th April 2008, 23:12   #4
BANNED

yes we can clean it but i think its a risky job because you need to seperate the glass which will be sticked to the reflector ..and again stick it back.....
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 00:12   #5
BHPian

If it is mist, obviously the seal between the Lens and the reflector is leaking and it is the water vapour in the air that leads to fogging. It is a labourious and delicate process to seperate and clean the inside and once again make it airtight.

Best option would be to replace the helamp assembly.

Cheers,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 08:17   #6
BHPian

or use the bike at night for some time. This heats up the interior of the light assy and helps decrease the mistyness
chvvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

That must be moisture. Drill a small hole at the back so that it escapes, but it will also get dusty more often. Installing HID's(though an expensive option)will also help because they run at a higher temperature which will make it evaporate quickly.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 17:37   #8
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply guyz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
yes we can clean it but i think its a risky job because you need to seperate the glass which will be sticked to the reflector ..and again stick it back.....
yes it can be cleaned but how, should the reflectors be cleaned with plain cloth ? i am confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
If it is mist, obviously the seal between the Lens and the reflector is leaking and it is the water vapour in the air that leads to fogging. It is a labourious and delicate process to seperate and clean the inside and once again make it airtight.

Best option would be to replace the helamp assembly.

Cheers,

Rajan
Rajan, dont you think its an costly affair change the head lamp assembly for the sake of mist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvvkumar View Post
or use the bike at night for some time. This heats up the interior of the light assy and helps decrease the mistyness
Kumar, my bike is running on philps 60/55w i hope the heat produced by that bulb is more enough to decrease the mistyness. but still the problem has not been solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
That must be moisture. Drill a small hole at the back so that it escapes, but it will also get dusty more often. Installing HID's(though an expensive option)will also help because they run at a higher temperature which will make it evaporate quickly.
where exactly you are pointing out to drill the hole, could you please point out in the picture above. i love hid's but the thing is i am highly satisfied with my 60/55w bulbs. is there any other way in sorting out this problem.

P.S: Sankar where are thou ???

Last edited by praJEEP : 11th April 2008 at 17:40.
Old 11th April 2008, 19:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Drill the hole's at the back in the plastic part.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing the same problem in my friend's CBZ,way back in 1999. A mechanic he knew helped him fix this problem. They actually pulled the whole unit apart,and then using 3M filling paste (if thats what its called),they made sure the gap b/w the glass & the rubber beading was filled up.
Apparently, this happens in some bike,due to the intense heat when parked in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Didn't make much sense,since all these things are taken into account & fixed right at the assembly line.

Anyways,its worth giving a shot.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 10:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Pradeep, it's not mist, it's dust settled on to the reflector and glass. It has happened to my bikes too.

Buy a kilo of cotton waste (white grade) and make sure it's free of dirt and other contaminants. Take out the headlamp from the fairing, and remove the rear bulb. Through the headlamp bulb hole stuff in the cotton waste (make sure you keep the cotton waste clean and not on the ground before you do this). Once you have a fair amount of waste inside the headlight beam and use your fingers to move the waste inside the headlamp to wipe clean your lens and reflector.

It might seem a bit difficult but it works. And it will not screw the reflector or lens. I specifically asked to buy white grade because it's much softer compared to the multicolored cotton waste. White costs a bit more too.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 10:46   #12
BHPian

Thanks sankar, which cotton are you exactly reffering to...
Old 15th April 2008, 11:09   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
White cotton waste.. what painters use.

Mechs use the multicolored type.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 12:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
You will get it at any spare parts shop. That where I have bought it from a couple of times.