Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2008, 00:12   #16
BHPian
 
highwayblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago/Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
i think its a dangerous thing and should not be done.
I mean imagine urself in a car and ur trying to take a left or something and suddenly out of no where a bike rider overtakes u from the left..
dont u think this is dangerous and life threathning
I am definitely against lane cutting
Its dangerous but hey...use the bike to your advantage in traffic. Its legal in California. If you crash and get hurt or worse, blame it on destiny
.
.
. the last line was a joke!
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 02:05   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Calif.
Posts: 26
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
i think its a dangerous thing and should not be done. I mean imagine urself in a car and ur trying to take a left or something and suddenly out of no where a bike rider overtakes u from the left..dont u think this is dangerous and life threathning I am definitely against lane cutting
In southern calif. traffic, cars are usually stuck doing less than 15 mph. There is no where to go, take a left to where?

In So Cal. I usually lane split getting ahead of all cars at stop lights. This is widely regarded as safe, when all cars have come to a stand still. Even with a speed differential of 10 mph, with the top speed being less than 45mph, I would consider it to be safe (provided the rider has full gear on). Safe by my motorcycling standards, not compared to driving a cage, or lying on a coutch watching a soap.
-GG
GutsyGibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 01:04   #18
BHPian
 
TomRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 332
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Haa. In Bangalore, it s totally unsafe. Once i was traveling in outer ring road behind a BMTC bus at around 60-70 kmph. and i took my bike to the extreme right line to overtake the bus. To my surprise, i saw a parked scooter (Chetak) in the middle of the road. That guy had stopped there and was talking to someone on mobile. Somehow i managed to slowdown and avoid him. So in my opinion it totally unsafe in Bangalore to do lane splitting. But we are forced to do it.

We can predict the traffic easily in US and it will be almost correct. But in Bangalore our predictions can be wrong most of the times.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd May 2008 at 01:44. Reason: Please watch you language on Team-BHP!
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:57   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
It should be called optimal utilization of the available resources .
Hee hee
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
It also means that the lanes are far wider than they are supposed to be
Dont' agree with you, Sir. Our lanes would barely accommodate a decent sized car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
You have to do it here unless you're the boss and no ones going to say anything to you for being late every time .
Time over all else. Real rat race, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I feel these rides deserve to be lane limited :autowallah's , buses and damn those cabbies . That would make indian roads a much safer and disciplined by @least 60 to 70%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
They should start lane splitting and also ensuring divided two ways.

Dividers at a lot of place are stones slabs or metal barriers which are moved by the local guys to make their own way. Also lot of roads without dividers lead to a pile of traffic one e.g would be the road leading from Lemon Grass to Jakkasandra (Kormangala); there is a minimum waiting period every day here and in the rains it get worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
@netchef:I think we would be hard pressed to find even one driver on this forum who does not do this. Even if we try to avoid doing this, we would get shepherded by all the rest of our wonderful traffic to the left and right of us, into the spaces between lanes/cars unless one is riding a battle tank/road roller etc
Or a Hummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If any old-timer around, wasn't there a separate lane for autos in Bangalore?
I must rate as the oldest timer here. Can't recall there being designated lanes for anything run with any success or duration, though it was attempted on a couple of roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
well, lane splitting is a good idea.
Splitting should be done based on the speed of the vehicle and not type of vehicle, faster vehicles take the extreme right, while slower ones keep to the left(and wade through the jaywalkers & hawkers) and as different 2 wheeler & 4 wheeler's move at different speed. but the roads are not broad enough to have many lanes of traffic.

A better option, in fact a proper one, would be to have a specific lane for commercial vehicles, one that separates it from free flowing traffic, as the commercial vehicles need to stop frequently.

I believe the lane system is a part of the traffic rules too.

That said, i've seen the bus lane system being implemented only in Delhi, even the metro rail there network is damn good, may be thats because its the capital & probably easing traffic of all cities is not on the priority list.


used to be hyd too, until the ruling gov in the 80's messed it up.
Makes lots of sense. One ride on a decent highway and it's the first prayer that comes to mind: will the slow pokes please stick to the left, and will those that 'think' they are fast PLEASE watch their RVMs for signs of a faster vehicle bearing down on them?
Amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Who doesnt do it? whether a good idea or not everyone does it! I do too...and I'm all FOR IT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
i think its a dangerous thing and should not be done.
I mean imagine urself in a car and ur trying to take a left or something and suddenly out of no where a bike rider overtakes u from the left..
dont u think this is dangerous and life threathning
I am definitely against lane cutting
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:05   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Whats lane-splitting?
Riding down the dotted line that separates lanes. In theory, when both lanes are occupied properly (by a vehicle that fills the lane such as a car or bus), there is still a safety margin between each adjacent vehicle and the edge of their lane. It's this 'breathing space' that I allude to.

What people have hinted at is that drivers do not expect anyone there (as per the letter of the law), hence could squash the rider with a perfectly legal manoeuvre.

(Mods: sorry, the system didn't let me reply to all the quotes in one go.)
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:07   #21
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Exactly ! Few roads had designated roads for autos. So the road width was reduced. But most autos didn't take that lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
I must rate as the oldest timer here. Can't recall there being designated lanes for anything run with any success or duration, though it was attempted on a couple of roads.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 12:31   #22
BHPian
 
Hurrycane12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 457
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Exactly ! Few roads had designated roads for autos. So the road width was reduced. But most autos didn't take that lane.
The only road which i had seen had a seperate Auto lane was M G Road; i guess the implamentation of most Bus Lane / Auto Lane etc happens only in the Central Business District of the city. The other part of the city are generally ignored.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:38   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Riding down the dotted line that separates lanes. In theory, when both lanes are occupied properly (by a vehicle that fills the lane such as a car or bus), there is still a safety margin between each adjacent vehicle and the edge of their lane. It's this 'breathing space' that I allude to.

What people have hinted at is that drivers do not expect anyone there (as per the letter of the law), hence could squash the rider with a perfectly legal manoeuvre.
Rajeev - The more pertinent danger would be the blind spots in the cars/vehicles rear view mirrors. A lot of the time bikers riding adjacent to you can get in your blind spot & even people who use their mirrors diligently can fail to spot a two-wheeler rider.

Has happened with me many a time even though I always use my ORVM's but even then it many a time I've come close to swiping a two-wheeler which was doing lane-splitting & was in my blind spot. It's usually either that naturally we look to the side before turning/changing lanes & I've caught them out of the corner of my eye & taken evasive action or that they were good riders & they anticipated my move & moved out.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 14:15   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Rajeev - The more pertinent danger would be the blind spots in the cars/vehicles rear view mirrors. A lot of the time bikers riding adjacent to you can get in your blind spot & even people who use their mirrors diligently can fail to spot a two-wheeler rider.

Has happened with me many a time even though I always use my ORVM's but even then it many a time I've come close to swiping a two-wheeler which was doing lane-splitting & was in my blind spot. It's usually either that naturally we look to the side before turning/changing lanes & I've caught them out of the corner of my eye & taken evasive action or that they were good riders & they anticipated my move & moved out.

I agree. It's also in my assessment a manoeuvre best left to the breed of riders who have more advanced skills.
Naturally, with speed, distancing must happen in direct proportion, so it's probably only to be attempted at 'traffic light' sort of speeds or slightly higher- as someone was saying.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:21   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Along with lane splitting, we have people spitting aak thu!
On a serious note, if done safely, I dont see any issues in that.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 21:59   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Along with lane splitting, we have people spitting aak thu!
On a serious note, if done safely, I dont see any issues in that.
That's quite a hazard I must say. One needs to be circumspect especially when passing a bus-load of salivating folks, mouths full of Asian Paints!
I've been lucky never to have had anyone paint my wagon.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:45   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,033
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Lanes are the only way to add some traffic sense to the current nonsense: I'd always believed having atleast 2 lanes (due to paucity of space) - one for 4 wheelers and above - cars, buses, and another for vehicles with lesser than 4 wheels - ricks, bikes would work wonders. Sharing road space with diverse categories of vehicles surrounding you is simply not on.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 23:15   #28
BHPian
 
vabs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 551
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Lane splitting is not safe at all, mainly due to blind spots. Butttttt... do you have a choice? I will at least add 15-20 mins to my commute time if I don't.
vabs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 18:51   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Lanes are the only way to add some traffic sense to the current nonsense: I'd always believed having atleast 2 lanes (due to paucity of space) - one for 4 wheelers and above - cars, buses, and another for vehicles with lesser than 4 wheels - ricks, bikes would work wonders. Sharing road space with diverse categories of vehicles surrounding you is simply not on.
theMAG: I hear you, Sir. This road design/traffic management thing is getting quite contentious and the oxymoron is that we build new but not necessarily sensible, thereby compounding design flaws of our legacy roads. Case in point is the relatively new flyover in Bangalore on the Airport Road which doesn't have a loop for pedestrians.

My question too is what happens under 'overtaking' conditions? Does one overtake from the right within one's lane, meaning that in each lane such manoeuvres could take place simultaneously, creating an ideal condition for mayhem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Lane splitting is not safe at all, mainly due to blind spots. Butttttt... do you have a choice? I will at least add 15-20 mins to my commute time if I don't.
vabs78: cruel real-world conditions, eh?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 19:06   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Some times, I lane split at traffic signals. Most traffic signals have only 2 lanes. Which means that there is a lane for vehicles going straight/right and a lane for vehicles turning left. If I need to go straight, I lane split in between the two.

Not really unsafe because traffic around the signal is at full stop or dead slow.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy Traffic: Left lane goes fastest, Right lane moves slowest joybhowmik Street Experiences 17 5th September 2013 16:21
Is external A/c for M800 a good idea?? ssl2uv108 Modifications & Accessories 4 1st August 2006 17:34
Any idea about FIAT Idea? Minardi The Indian Car Scene 13 28th May 2005 12:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks