Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd May 2008, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Better solution. Maintain your bikes properly.
Partially agree. But it is hard to guess the life expectancy of a cable and I dunno if there is a recommended change frequency. Most of theses snap issues happen when the weld between the collar and cable snaps. Impossible to predict that.
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 14:43   #17
BHPian

if you know some DIY ideas as suggested by bhpians it would be much better to carry spare cable sets but I AGREE for those short trips back home - cable pull, front brake lever to do the required action of snapped cable is easiest to do than route a new cable end to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Partially agree. But it is hard to guess the life expectancy of a cable and I dunno if there is a recommended change frequency. Most of theses snap issues happen when the weld between the collar and cable snaps. Impossible to predict that.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 05:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me once.
I increased the idling of my bullet's engine and was able to do 40Km/hr in 4th gear which helped me limp to my mech
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 12:20   #19
BHPian

Happened to me in a car once - M800. Tied off the remaining cable (at the carb end) and made for the nearest garage. Crazy revving sure did attract a lot of attention at traffic lights!
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 17:21   #20
BHPian

Accelerator Cable snapped off on my way to Saputara via Nashik just after the Kasara Ghats.

Luckily, I has a small adjustable spanner in my tool box which came to my rescue. Without wasting a minute I opened the toolbox did the required and continued with my journey as there was no major town on the way where I could have managed a new cable.

After reaching Saputara, managed to find a extra long cable with a local mechanic which was orignally for Hero Honda Street which made sure I made back to Mumbai safely. On my return switched back to orginal RE cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Riding with a Cut Accelerator Cable?-dsc00081.jpg  

Riding with a Cut Accelerator Cable?-dsc00080.jpg  

Riding with a Cut Accelerator Cable?-dsc00084.jpg  

mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 01:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Clutch wire breaking on the jawa isn't much of a problem though, its got an auto clutch, can change the gear w/o the clutch at the right speed, can push it and engage the gear. but braking becomes a problem, the 2nd neutral comes in handy then. But it takes a good amount of learning.
You dont need to actually push it if your autoclutch works well in the jawa/yezdi. You can engage the first gear from standstill and release it the same way u do with a hand lever. Doesn't require much skill. This is one reason I always keep the autoclutch in top order. I use this quite often even when the cable is fine.

In bullets, u can start the bike, push and jump, engage the gears and ride it and so with other bikes.

Lucky Ive never faced an acc. problem so far, coz most times I carry a spare cable with me in the toolbox coz one of the times the cable snapped right in the middle and I could not do much about it.
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 01:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Legendary reliability these bikes have
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote