Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd September 2008, 16:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
It just cost me Rs. 100 for a NULON bottle for 2 wheeler. Even if its not doing any good, its not harmful to the engine. And personally I feel some performance with this additives.(may be a temporary effect!!!). As I cant afford a Synthetic Oil, I uses a Semi-Snthetic+Additives. But definitely I will move to Synthetic, if I can buy one litre for Rs.250+100
so far as my understanding goes using NULON is not recommended. And if you search on net you find the reason why!!
nickoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:07   #32
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The best oil for most Indian air-cooled two wheelers is Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50.

muneemmk, Mobil have tried to answer your question.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Actually, you also need to change the grade of the oil according to the weather.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Actually, you also need to change the grade of the oil according to the weather.
Straight6, could you elaborate more on this please?
Also what would you say is the ideal interval for oil change on a 4stroke <<180CC bike in India?
Is it ok to use a 10W-50 oil over 10W-40? The Manual says 10W-40. cheers:
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Straight6, could you elaborate more on this please?
Also what would you say is the ideal interval for oil change on a 4stroke <<180CC bike in India?
Is it ok to use a 10W-50 oil over 10W-40? The Manual says 10W-40. cheers:
All SBK's have the same 10W-40 rating as well. When the weather gets really cold oil tends to lose its viscosity and becomes hard. In the same manner, when it gets really hot (along with engine heat) the oil tends to become thinner. The '40' in 10W-40 is the viscosity. So 10W-50 is thicker oil.

SBK manuals also have this graph that guides you to the grade according to weather.

The oil change intervals depend on the manner you ride and also how often you ride. Which bike do you ride?

Last edited by straight6 : 3rd September 2008 at 19:48.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:01   #36

My Best preference is mobil 4T oil.
Twister_In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:23   #37

Best High end for Local bikes is Motul fully synthetic Oil which cost around 620 and come upto 10k Kms...
Sk8erboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 09:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Pulsar is running in Castrol Magnetec with NULON Oil Additive. But the Engine sound is reduced almost 50% than my previous Oil.
Castrol Magnatec is not a bike oil. Running the bike on car oil will simply ruin it's engine.

I had used Castrol Power 1 & Activ 4T on my Pulsar 150 for long. Couldn't find any noticeable difference.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:13   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

It will not ruin the engine as such, but 'some' car oils have friction modifiers which induces clutch slip if used in the transmission of motorcycles.

I have used Magnatec in my old RX and i have also used it in Bullet for both engine and clutch. Both bikes performed without any clutch slippage or engine issues.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 10:15   #40
Team-BHP Support

Magnatec in my Engine.
Fork oil in the clutch.

Bike runs great and I love it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 12:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Castrol Magnatec is not a bike oil. Running the bike on car oil will simply ruin it's engine.

Do I need to change the oil?
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 12:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
That's not true. Manson is using Magnatec in his Thunderace since a year now. Its rating is 10W-40 which is what the manufacturers suggest by default for SBK's.

I was once told to use it in the gearbox of my RX as well. I'll change to it next.
Old 4th September 2008, 14:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
So the question Is, in one simple word is it worth to spend 800rs(MRP rs.1000) on a liter of full-synthetic Mobile1 5W50 instead of the Honda Recommended Idemistu 20W40 at Rs.174 ?

P.S it's for my Unicorn.
Firstly don't change the grade of oil that you are using, even if you are changing the oil.... find a oil that x W 40, where x<=20.
If you are bored of the Honda oil, you try the Motul 3000T mineral oil, IMO not much of a difference, feels the same. Stick to honda though, if you are in your warranty period, not that they will know if you change the oil !

Quote:
My Pulsar is running in Castrol Magnetec with NULON Oil Additive. But the Engine sound is reduced almost 50% than my previous Oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
Isn't 5000-7000KM a bit too much for mineral oil? for bikes the manual says 2000-2500KM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
so far as my understanding goes using NULON is not recommended. And if you search on net you find the reason why!!
Magnatec is a Car oil and not Bike oil AFAIK. And Nulon or any other engine oil additives are not recommended. Read here!

Minerals running in the crankcase of the 6K kms.....talk about cutting maintenance costs. Almost all minerals are recommended to be change with in 2-2.5K kms, but it varies greatly from engine to engine. For eg: HH recommends a 6K kms drain interval on the ZMA for its oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
The best oil for most Indian air-cooled two wheelers is Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50.

muneemmk, Mobil have tried to answer your question.
Isn't Mobil 1 a tad too expensive, doesn't it cost upwards of the 1K per ltr.?
Plus its a __W50 oil so that makes it suitable only for the P180/200/220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
True, but more true for places that face extreme weather variations. Climate throughout most of India is moderate and all oils can more or less handle these variations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8erboi View Post
Best High end for Local bikes is Motul fully synthetic Oil which cost around 620 and come upto 10k Kms...
The Motul 300v Fully synth. oil comes in a 15W50 format and thats suitable only for the bigger Pulsars i.e. P180/200/220. All other bike need a __W40 grade which is not available in the Motul brand in a fully synth type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

I had used Castrol Power 1 & Activ 4T on my Pulsar 150 for long. Couldn't find any noticeable difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It will not ruin the engine as such, but 'some' car oils have friction modifiers which induces clutch slip if used in the transmission of motorcycles.

I have used Magnatec in my old RX and i have also used it in Bullet for both engine and clutch. Both bikes performed without any clutch slippage or engine issues.
This is really a topic for debate, where lotsa people have lotsa data. Like there is one set of people who have used car oils like GTX/Magnatec and swear by the fact that their bike runs as good or better than other oiled bikes. And then there are others who rubbish that claim. Well I think both parties are correct as they are saying merely what they have observed.

But the 2 major reasons why one should not use a Car oil on a bike is :-
1. Additives - i.e. friction modifiers which may induce clutch slippage.
2. Cooling - Unlike dry clutch (cars), the wet clutch (bikes) system is cooled with the oil too.

With these two thing in mind, I feel one should not use a car oil in a bike, eventhough there may be instances where one has run a bike long enough with out any issues.

Quote:

Do I need to change the oil?
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 14:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Sankar As far as i know Magnatec is a 40 grade oil the specs are 10w40,so is it ok to use it in the bullet as the specified grade for the bullet is 20w50.

How was your experience in using magnatec for the bullet? Which OIl would you reccomend for the BUllet.

Regards
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:58   #45
BHPian

I had enough , i am going back to my Honda 20W40 genuine oil , I think it would be better to change the oil every 2.5K than to spend 4 times the money and change the oil every 10K
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote