Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 15:14   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Anyone been to the Ace Cafe (London)?

intro

It's a cult thing - a shrine to Brit and beyond petrolheads-that's so old it's almost antedeluvian. Been there before rock n roll. Been there before BSA Goldies. Been there before Ewan Mcgregor and the Hairy Bikers. WAAAAAAY before. And amazingly still around with a second wind.

I'm sure the forum would love your FIR if any TeamBHPian has been lucky enough to have visited.
They have a refurbished site, and what I find exciting is the Photo Gallery of the various 'cafe-ed' bikes. What also should be appreciated is that they aren't chauvinistic about any make or nationality of 2 wheels. Everybody's welcome and everyone's ride is respected.

It's my dream to attend one of their meets.
(Like I told the gent, V-12s gorgeous cafe Bullet belongs there.)
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 11:29   #2
BHPian
 
S@~+#0$#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 700
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Wow!!! Probably this is what they call "MOTORING HEAVEN".

I find it interesting that they have some meet or the other lined up every night. If one looks at their calendar of events, one just cannot makeup their mind which one to go to as each one is to die for.

I went through their site on the day that you posted it, but was waiting for some reviews from our travel-blessed and/or UK based T-bhpians. Surprising, not a single review so far. Come on guys, there must be someone who has been here.

Thanks netchef for letting us know about this. Never heard of this before.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 19th May 2008 at 11:30.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 14:17   #3
BHPian
 
doomsday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 4 Times
Post Ace up the sleeve...

The Ace cafe is a shrine for bikers since times immemorial.. be it for tourers on cruisers or stunters on bikes with pieces of bodywork missing. Fifth gear also filmed inside the Ace Cafe 10th season onwards.
Its on my list of things to do in near future.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,255 Times
Default Never Been Inside

Quote:
Come on guys, there must be someone who has been here.
I'm not a biker, but I'll admit to having driven past it in the car many times. Maybe that's admitting sacrilege on a motoring forum, but it just happens to be on a great short-cut from the North Circular Road to Wembley's Ealing Road (where you might think you were in India, apart from the weather and the cost of the sari-blouse tailoring) and some of my Carnatic music friends.

I recall that on one occasion they were holding some sort of drag event on the road outside. Whether or not they had any permission to use the public road I have no idea, but it must have been very well organised as us other road users were only held up for a minute or two by the controlling marshalls
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

I will be in london for a month starting 25th May.... I may give it a visit, in that case I will have some pictures for all of you to see.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 18:24   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Wow!!! Probably this is what they call "MOTORING HEAVEN".

I find it interesting that they have some meet or the other lined up every night. If one looks at their calendar of events, one just cannot makeup their mind which one to go to as each one is to die for.

I went through their site on the day that you posted it, but was waiting for some reviews from our travel-blessed and/or UK based T-bhpians. Surprising, not a single review so far. Come on guys, there must be someone who has been here.

Thanks netchef for letting us know about this. Never heard of this before.
Welcome S@~+#0$#. They had a more elaborate picture gallery with chapters and chapters of exotica, but sadly it seems to have been trimmed.

I was wondering why the silence about the Ace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
The Ace cafe is a shrine for bikers since times immemorial.. be it for tourers on cruisers or stunters on bikes with pieces of bodywork missing. Fifth gear also filmed inside the Ace Cafe 10th season onwards.
Its on my list of things to do in near future.
doomsday: You could say that again, Sir. All sorts of people gather there. The Euro types ride in on their steeds. Film stars roll up. Celebs smoke doughnuts. And bikes are their single creed.
Some really astonishing bikes in their pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not a biker, but I'll admit to having driven past it in the car many times. Maybe that's admitting sacrilege on a motoring forum, but it just happens to be on a great short-cut from the North Circular Road to Wembley's Ealing Road (where you might think you were in India, apart from the weather and the cost of the sari-blouse tailoring) and some of my Carnatic music friends.

I recall that on one occasion they were holding some sort of drag event on the road outside. Whether or not they had any permission to use the public road I have no idea, but it must have been very well organised as us other road users were only held up for a minute or two by the controlling marshalls

Thad E Ginathom: Sir, You DID NOT STOP??? gosh. Guess you march to different drum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I will be in london for a month starting 25th May.... I may give it a visit, in that case I will have some pictures for all of you to see.
extreme_torque: Please, Sir. Please.

Last edited by netchef : 19th May 2008 at 18:26.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 20:28   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Aiiiyyy yaaa yaa!!!! Now thats something worth doing,when in the UK!
Bhupi..kidhar ho yaar?!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 01:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,255 Times
Default

Quote:
Thad E Ginathom: Sir, You DID NOT STOP??? gosh. Guess you march to different drum.
A slightly-built guy who cannot even balance properly on a bike does not feel at home in a London biker's cafe!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 10:57   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A slightly-built guy who cannot even balance properly on a bike does not feel at home in a London biker's cafe!

Hardly, Sir. I'll bet they'll make you feel quite at home- they don't discriminate in any way. In any case they're not just about bikes -they have a healthy, vibrant department that talks cars.
But, please don't think I'm trying to coerce or inveigle you into going. The blokes at the Ace don't give me even a fiver.

(BTW I can safely say no biker is 'balanced' LOL)
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 11:16   #10
BHPian
 
SRShrikanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: B'bay/Stockholm
Posts: 255
Thanked: 8 Times
Thumbs up Ace Cafe -

Six visits in about 3years ( 2001 - 2004 ) - is all i could manage.

End-Nov every year - they hold a fan-fare over a weekend that seems well like a long-weekend - even if your only an elementary on-looker.

My first impressions of the place

- Holy Cow this is insane stuff.
- Very Gothic in nature and feels Mechanically Eerie, but extremely thrilling.

Have some superb shots in 6 film rolls ( Kodak Gold ) in my Nikon super zoom lens.

Got the opportunity to ride with a Harley Biker from 'Upp'-North ( as they say ) at the fair and did say my last prayers during a round-about at some insane speeds.!!! But am still around, i guess.

If anyone travelling there - right at the start of Spring - they do a Sunday show as well that attracts lots of crowds from London & even places like Manchester / Birmingham as well.

British Motoring though, has several such joints spread across the country that keep alike the English traditions of motor-sport.

Will search through my rubble and scan & post my times at the Ace.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:05   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I will be in london for a month starting 25th May.... I may give it a visit, in that case I will have some pictures for all of you to see.

extreme_torque: Thanks, Sir. If tis a shrine, please genuflect for yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Six visits in about 3years ( 2001 - 2004 ) - is all i could manage.

End-Nov every year - they hold a fan-fare over a weekend that seems well like a long-weekend - even if your only an elementary on-looker.

My first impressions of the place

- Holy Cow this is insane stuff.
- Very Gothic in nature and feels Mechanically Eerie, but extremely thrilling.

Have some superb shots in 6 film rolls ( Kodak Gold ) in my Nikon super zoom lens.

Got the opportunity to ride with a Harley Biker from 'Upp'-North ( as they say ) at the fair and did say my last prayers during a round-about at some insane speeds.!!! But am still around, i guess.

If anyone travelling there - right at the start of Spring - they do a Sunday show as well that attracts lots of crowds from London & even places like Manchester / Birmingham as well.

British Motoring though, has several such joints spread across the country that keep alike the English traditions of motor-sport.

Will search through my rubble and scan & post my times at the Ace.

SRShrikanth: FINALLY. Someone who's been there, done that.
I'd love to see your pics, so please post them as soon as is convenient.

Most unusual that you say Gothic. Sitting very far away with not a glimmer of ever going there, it's just the way I'd imagined it: conjures up tribal imagery. And bearded, beer-swilling artists. And a wild, typically Brit patois. How peculiar, but probably nice and quaint.
Any haggis and stout and Yorkshire pudding and mead in sight?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:15   #12
BHPian
 
SRShrikanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: B'bay/Stockholm
Posts: 255
Thanked: 8 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
it's just the way I'd imagined it: conjures up tribal imagery. And bearded, beer-swilling artists. And a wild, typically Brit patois. How peculiar, but probably nice and quaint.
Any haggis and stout and Yorkshire pudding and mead in sight?
Very much in line and far beyond.

Gothic visions - in my experience, come in a few distinct forms.

One version experienced by me was in Boon-Germany. Its a way of life, really.

Here in many parts across the country, it's a religious fervor attached to many causes for eg. An old english pub - Hag 1021 is an old tavern setting with football history to die for. Sporting Gothic, i;d say.

Ace - for machines, Joints & grease - Mechanical Gothic.

But, it's all there - The Yorkshire puddin, English berries, Ale & the works.

Incidentally, the Queen's Gold-piston'ed London cab also features at the ACE wall-library. And it's quite a sight to even visualize.

Wil certianly dig into my 'thrown-away's and get the snaps, netchef.

Gladly as well.

cheers:
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 13:19   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Very much in line and far beyond.

Gothic visions - in my experience, come in a few distinct forms.

One version experienced by me was in Boon-Germany. Its a way of life, really.

Here in many parts across the country, it's a religious fervor attached to many causes for eg. An old english pub - Hag 1021 is an old tavern setting with football history to die for. Sporting Gothic, i;d say.

Ace - for machines, Joints & grease - Mechanical Gothic.

But, it's all there - The Yorkshire puddin, English berries, Ale & the works.

Incidentally, the Queen's Gold-piston'ed London cab also features at the ACE wall-library. And it's quite a sight to even visualize.

Wil certianly dig into my 'thrown-away's and get the snaps, netchef.

Gladly as well.

cheers:

Ah, amazing. Will lap up your pixels on the subject, mate. Thanks.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 15:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

I have once rode past Ace Cafe on my 78 CB750 but during that ride i couldn't stop for a visit as i was on a different mission. I was to visit Ace another time but that didn't happen due to various reasons.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 17:53   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 949
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have once rode past Ace Cafe on my 78 CB750 but during that ride i couldn't stop for a visit as i was on a different mission. I was to visit Ace another time but that didn't happen due to various reasons.
Sankar: That's about 1x Zillion closer than I'll ever get. It's a pity and I certainly hope you'll get your visit soon.
Still ride your CB750? The King- progenitor- of modern in-line fours? There's a reason-challenged genius of an Englishman who takes CB750, CBX, Z1000 engines and carves V-8s and V-12s out of them for running street bikes. Perhaps he goes to The Ace. Chap's a nuclear scientist, would you believe it?
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Café Racer Projects: Yamaha Café Racer is BACK! Chetanya Sharma Motorbikes 24 10th May 2015 15:52
Tata to launch a new Mini Truck (between Ace & Super Ace) directinjection Commercial Vehicles 0 27th March 2014 14:43
Tata Ace electric van London test drive event nijan The International Automotive Scene 0 10th March 2012 18:20
Where to get low/ace-cafe handlebars for Bullet + my modded Machismo pics v12 Modifications & Accessories 18 14th July 2011 18:04
Anyone been to MyCar (new Maruti dealer), Pune ? spadival The Indian Car Scene 0 11th January 2007 16:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks