Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 21:38   #106
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

I am a first time RE product buyer and I got my Thunder on 28th. Just finished 70 kms, so nothing much about the issues, except a little Front right fork oil leak - Service guys says it will stop ( I too think it not coming up anymore).
Overall it’s a amazing experience. First, this bike is a head turner. Everyone is asking me about the bike where ever I stop. I remember in 1997, many asked when I bought my KB125. :-)

Overall I am very happy about the vehicle, The gear is not smooth, you can not expect it to work as a Pulsar or Avenger. Initially it was difficult, but I am fine with that today. Probably the reason is, I am driving any bike after 9 years.

It has amazing pickup, revving up greatly, I must say that the vibration is almost nil behind the seats, but there is bit vibration can be felt in the handles.

Few things missing are a central lock. There is a separate lock for the neck. Also the silencer is lengthier than the bike - which I didn't like. I may change it after 5000 Kms.

I drive very less, probably 100 kms a week, so I didn't bother much about the maintenance. But as this is an all new engine, there is only one Service man is available in Coimbatore. I do not think any other service firm can touch this TBTS, it will take some time for them to learn, though the mechanism is simplified.

For the first time buyers, you still need to wait for 2-3 months, for better feedback about the vehicle - If you are keen on mileage, maintenance and service. But if you has a passion about RE products, this is the time to start, and this is the bike to buy first.

I do not think there is another cruiser vehicle is available like this in India can match with this.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 21:43   #107
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hi Ramie, Isn't the Twin Spark Technology new for Royal enfield? I am not too sure how many would be able to repair it outside the auth. service station. However, knowing that Sankar and Lohit(?) own RE's, they can certainly throw some light.
You are right. RE guys adviced me to do only with their TBTS person atleast for an year. They have only one or two trained guys with them. I bought is from company direct outlet, and I have just decided to do all the services only with them (Even electticals for time being).
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:49   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 423
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

there is a minor aesthetic upgrade it appears on the tbts. the buffed valve covers and side covers. looks cool i must say.

sorry for the "shaky" image!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Thunderbird with Twin Spark-23092008.jpg  

hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:53   #109
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Any TBTS owner changed they silencer?
I heard from a reliable source that RE is going to come out with the classic Silencer for the TBTS, since the present one is very lengthy and missing the beat. Anyone has modified otherwise?
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:14   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 423
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Any TBTS owner changed they silencer?
I heard from a reliable source that RE is going to come out with the classic Silencer for the TBTS, since the present one is very lengthy and missing the beat. Anyone has modified otherwise?
lots of tbts in bangalore with the short silencer. and the best part is that the company has a special part number for this item. the bike sure sounds much much better with the short exhaust for sure.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 17:42   #111
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Bullet Electra 5S - 2006

Guys, I have the privelege of owning an Electra 5S which i bought out from a friend for 50000 Rs. Its a 2006 Model and had done only 6k on the ODO. I have a few issue though.

1. The front disc brake squeals whenever I apply them fully. Doesnt happen when I use them partially.

2. Also, I feel the Clutch is a little hard and your hands can start paining when driving in City traffic.

3. Also the handle bars do not have proper dampeners and driving long distance can give you pain.

4. The front crash guard, the saree guard and the traditional short bottle neck silencer have started to rust in parts...What can be done?

5. You think 50000 for a 2006 model is a good deal considering that TBTS is the new thing in the RE stable and CI models are being phased out??

Need your valuable guidance and advise....Please help
djdryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 09:30   #112
BHPian
 
motocamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 456
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdryeyes View Post
Guys, I have the privelege of owning an Electra 5S which i bought out from a friend for 50000 Rs. Its a 2006 Model and had done only 6k on the ODO. I have a few issue though.

1. The front disc brake squeals whenever I apply them fully. Doesnt happen when I use them partially.

2. Also, I feel the Clutch is a little hard and your hands can start paining when driving in City traffic.

3. Also the handle bars do not have proper dampeners and driving long distance can give you pain.

4. The front crash guard, the saree guard and the traditional short bottle neck silencer have started to rust in parts...What can be done?

5. You think 50000 for a 2006 model is a good deal considering that TBTS is the new thing in the RE stable and CI models are being phased out??

Need your valuable guidance and advise....Please help
hi first of all 50000 is a decent price for a 2006 5s in good condition you cant expect to buy them too cheap i mean just the gear box costs 19000.

1. if your disc squeaks first thing is remove unbolt the caliper from the fork blow it out with compressed air.if this works fine otherwise you need to check the wheel bearings.if this seems good then you need to check the disc for runout and also see if the disc is eccentric.

if the disc is eccentric which is quite possible , (there was a large batch of bikes in the last two years which came to my workshop with eccentric discs) you will need to remove it and turn the disc on a lathe.

2.the clutch might feel hard and will take getting used too.if you are an experienced enfield rider and still feel it is too hard you might need to change the cable or reroute the cable so the bends in the cable aren't too tight.

dont worry about the ci's being phased out you will still get parts and in my opinion they have a certain charm the uce twin spark cant match.

sorry twinspark uce guys just my opinion!
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 10:05   #113
BHPian
 
motocamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 456
Thanked: 99 Times
Default

i read some where in this thread that the twin spark uce engine has a shorter piston skirt.

i think there is still some mystery surrounding the uce twin spark i will shed some light on the subject.

the uce stands for "unit construction engine" all bikes with the transmission ,and engine in one unit are uce.

the ci enfields are all "non unit construction" that is they have seperate casing like the gearbox primary chaincase which houses the clutch etc and the crankcase.


starting with the twinspark head:
1.it has large fins for better heat dissipation.
2.re has change the design for the rockers back to the older design, that is the rocker arms and bearing like the ci engine(unlike the single spark tbird) except the bearings are aluminium and the rockers are light alloy steel.
3.an re first- no external oil pipe to get oil to the rockers and valves.
4.obviously a twin park head with both plugs firing at the same time.
5.the combustion chamber is designed to improve squish and turbulance.

6.The piston is the same design as the older t birds piston skirts,rings etc except for the piston top being dished.the piston skirt has a anti seize coating to protect it in the initial running in phase.

7.The block or cylinder is pretty much the same. except for the internal oil gallery to supply oil to the head.

8.the crankshaft is the same as the older tbird except for the drive and timing shaft(the alternator is now supported on the timing shaft)
9.we still have the same cams mounted on adjustable spindles.
10.one major change is the oil pump which is a toroidal unit.(no more oil pump spindle, wormnut timing cover etc).
11.the engine is now wet sump all other enfields being dry sump engines.
12.the tappets are now hydraulic unlike the earlier solid tappets, so no more tappet adjsutment.
13.the final drive sprocket is now 15 teeth like on the much older bullets.(people wanting better top end can definately go for a 16 tooth sprocket like the older tbirds)
14.the oil used is 15w 50
15.the primary chain(clutch chain) is shorter with a automatic chain adjuster. the clutch is a totally redesigned 6 plate affair.
16 the gearbox is a 5speed using the same internals as the earlier 5 speed box.
17.the starter is the same but is now mounted behind the cylinder.

whew hopefully i havent missed something!
motocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 14:25   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default

^ how does it sound compared to Old TBird (keeping the silencer same).
And compared to Electra?


Gosh those exterior oil tubes are one of the most charming thing about the Enfield engine :(
And UCE removes that!


PS: not that I am a luddite, but Enfield should continue manufacturing atleast one model (Electra or STD) to keep the "heritage" alive.

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th November 2008 at 14:26.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 20:23   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

^But they failed to pass EU norms long back with CI engines :(
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 10:33   #116
BHPian
 
ram.west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 418
Thanked: 20 Times
Post

Guys Do post your pics in this thread if you have not posted yet!!

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 13:06   #117
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
hi first of all 50000 is a decent price for a 2006 5s in good condition you cant expect to buy them too cheap i mean just the gear box costs 19000.

1. if your disc squeaks first thing is remove unbolt the caliper from the fork blow it out with compressed air.if this works fine otherwise you need to check the wheel bearings.if this seems good then you need to check the disc for runout and also see if the disc is eccentric.

if the disc is eccentric which is quite possible , (there was a large batch of bikes in the last two years which came to my workshop with eccentric discs) you will need to remove it and turn the disc on a lathe.

2.the clutch might feel hard and will take getting used too.if you are an experienced enfield rider and still feel it is too hard you might need to change the cable or reroute the cable so the bends in the cable aren't too tight.

dont worry about the ci's being phased out you will still get parts and in my opinion they have a certain charm the uce twin spark cant match.

sorry twinspark uce guys just my opinion!
Also I have a problem with my Speedo/ODO not working. Took it to the neighbourhood friendly mechanic and he told me that it can be repaired only by the ASP....Is that true???...

Also could someone help me by giving me tips on how to remove the rust of the Silencer, crash and saree guard.....
djdryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 18:20   #118
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post


starting with the twinspark head:
1.it has large fins for better heat dissipation.
.....

17.the starter is the same but is now mounted behind the cylinder.

whew hopefully i havent missed something!
Nice listing motocamp. You covered everything ,Someof which I do not even know even after owning a TBTS. Thank you.

Last edited by agbenny : 17th November 2008 at 18:21.
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 23:04   #119
BHPian
 
racingmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 130
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Reviving an old thread.

Since the current twinspark thunderbird has been around for over a couple of years, are there any chances of an upgraded or newer version of the bike to be launched soon (like for ex- with FI instead of carb)?

Last edited by racingmachine : 15th September 2010 at 23:06.
racingmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 23:54   #120
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Reviving an old thread.

Since the current twinspark thunderbird has been around for over a couple of years, are there any chances of an upgraded or newer version of the bike to be launched soon (like for ex- with FI instead of carb)?
Guess its a matter of time as Classic comes with FI on 350 and 500 IIRC.

And twin spark is pretty new for Bullet,one year perhaps?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle Position Switch of Thunderbird Twin-Spark UCE Tgo Motorbikes 40 29th August 2016 13:07
Rumour: Royal Enfield working on new Classic, new Thunderbird and a 600-650 cc twin-cylinder a4anurag Motorbikes 16 10th May 2016 15:49
Jay Leno rides a Royal Enfield Twin Cylinder built by Aniket Vardhan maddy42 Motorbikes 41 6th October 2015 16:12
Thunderbird Twin Spark Modifications NikhilSorot Motorbikes 5 7th January 2009 23:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks