Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 00:45   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Spectacles/Glasses for night riding

Hi guys! Am in search of a good pair of glasses for night riding. My search for night-riding glasses has never ended. Please post details of your glasses, brand, price etc.

Mods: Searched the forum for such a thread and I couldn't find one. Also, I hope I am posting in the right section.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 06:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Word of the day: Contact lenses.

Nothing Else will Do.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 07:59   #3
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Have tried a solution for this for last 8 years, though the branded glasses are really good, they stay that for 6 months max by when scratches starts and we loose that clarity.

If you can take good care of u r glasses, never wipe them dry and all those stuff, trying the essilor lenses, i found them the best.

Frankly, I am seriously thinking of getting laser eye correction and be done with it once and for all
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 08:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hi guys! Am in search of a good pair of glasses for night riding. My search for night-riding glasses has never ended. Please post details of your glasses, brand, price etc.

Mods: Searched the forum for such a thread and I couldn't find one. Also, I hope I am posting in the right section.
I guess you're not talking about prescription lenses. If you need spectacles to cut down on the glare caused by the headlamps of oncoming traffic i would suggest night driving glasses from Polaroid. They seem to work well.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Night polaroid glasses ALSO reduce light intensity. Think driving over boulders.

Been there, done that on a bike - highly unadvisable unless you take a great brand.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 09:43   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,369
Thanked: 22,586 Times
Default

Check this thread out :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...es-lenses.html (Which one is better for night driving: Spectacles or Lenses?)

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess my first post was not so clear.

I require glasses to protect my eyes from dust. I have normal vision (no spectacles) till now. I wanted more info on "moonglasses" if I may call them so.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 14:56   #8
BHPian
 
shock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Hi

I just bought a fastrack glass for night riding. the outside is blue in color and if u wear it at night u have 90-95% vision. but as they say the rest of the 5% is dangerous as well. decided on goin for a glass since my visor is colored and i gon't want the dirt from the tyres of the car infront of me to get in my eyes.
shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 15:14   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

you are better off wearing a helmet with a clear visor. it'll protect your eyes AND your skull.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 21:07   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
I just bought a fastrack glass for night riding. the outside is blue in color and if u wear it at night u have 90-95% vision. but as they say the rest of the 5% is dangerous as well. decided on goin for a glass since my visor is colored and i gon't want the dirt from the tyres of the car infront of me to get in my eyes.
Thats the real problem. I do not want loss of visibility since it is dangerous on dimly lit streets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
you are better off wearing a helmet with a clear visor. it'll protect your eyes AND your skull.
The problem with the helmet visor it gets scratched frequently. Also, I feel suffocated with the visor closed.



Don't we get special branded glasses just for night riding? I have visited many optical shops. Some suggest cheap plastic glasses. They create dangerous glares at night. I see multiple headlights. And the plain glasses on the normal wire rim neither offer good protection(so that much wind does not get inside) nor look good.

Any valuable suggestions?
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 22:01   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 366
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thats the real problem. I do not want loss of visibility since it is dangerous on dimly lit streets!


The problem with the helmet visor it gets scratched frequently. Also, I feel suffocated with the visor closed.



Don't we get special branded glasses just for night riding? I have visited many optical shops. Some suggest cheap plastic glasses. They create dangerous glares at night. I see multiple headlights. And the plain glasses on the normal wire rim neither offer good protection(so that much wind does not get inside) nor look good.

Any valuable suggestions?
i wear contact lenses and for me eye protection is really important. i've also rode bikes very extensively for the last 10 yrs and i can tell you that the helmet with a visor is the only option. when it gets scratched, you change the visor. not using a helmet because you *feel* suffocated is a very bad idea. i don't ride like a moron but it's inevitable to fall off a bike at some point and the helmet has already saved my skull once. so as far as i'm concerned anyone not using one is being foolish.

PS: you get *scratch proof* visors which do get scratched but a little less faster.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 22:19   #12
BHPian
 
satansvalet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 65
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

There are night vision glasses by tag heuer .

they say the glasses are really effective and helpful to find your seat if you turn up to a movie late!

But a pair will send you back a whooping Rs. 23,000/- (approximately)

Better off buying good quality italian helmets!!!!!
satansvalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 23:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

I suggest one of two things:
a. AGV helmet. End of story. Sexiest visor this side of 4k types. There are others but AGV I've seen lasting for years.
b. Even in studds, take visor of ninja/bravo. 150 bucks. Keep colin types (big bazar brand) glass cleaner, and wipe dry with spectacle cloth. I use it all the time, and instead of 1000km, my visor's lasted for 16k this time.
c. Resist urge to ride with visor open I open it a min to get some fresh air (esp post rain/morning). Else dust accumulates.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 07:56   #14
BHPian
 
Delta9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 61
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i heard that the AGV visor comes for 550 Rs... true ?? i recently bought a AGV helmet and then as recommended by some other users here, thought of buying a spare one for later use, on hearing the cost i dropped the idea. :|

Last edited by Delta9 : 30th May 2008 at 07:56. Reason: spelling mistakes :P
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 09:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta9 View Post
i heard that the AGV visor comes for 550 Rs... true ?? i recently bought a AGV helmet and then as recommended by some other users here, thought of buying a spare one for later use, on hearing the cost i dropped the idea. :|
Yes it's true. AGV visors are imported and the quality is among the best available in India. My GPR helmet costs more than the AGV, but the GPR visor is much cheaper at 350 bucks and the AGV visor is much better than the GPR visor.

Anybody buying new Helmets please consider the KBC/Sparx brand. These are well known American helmets, the range starts from around 4k is what i heard which is around GPR & Daijya range.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powered sun-glasses ntomer Shifting gears 92 16th August 2017 19:04
Which one is better for night driving: Spectacles or Lenses? KVS Street Experiences 54 18th August 2013 13:07
How safe is wearing spectacles/sun glasses in a car with Airbags? manim Technical Stuff 16 5th February 2009 13:26
For those who drive with spectacles sbasak Shifting gears 26 1st February 2007 00:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks