Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th March 2009, 09:56   #16
BHPian

Hi guys,

The following was done recently.
1)cone set changed for 2nd time
2)front tire changed
3)Bend in T sorted out

but its still woblling at 60kmph.Am i missing something here?
rascalangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:17   #17
BHPian

Primarily there are two things which contribute to wobbling.

1. Tyre & (Check for bead wire breakage or flimsy side walls or maybe the tube may have folded) For the 1st two issues tyre companies are liable to replace the tyre under warranty.

2. Rim (Check allignment take it to any tyre shop or service station)
vijit.gangwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:33   #18
BHPian

Is the bike wobbling whent he road is slightly uneven or is it wobbling when the road is perfectly flat? If the wobble is experienced when crossing over slightly uneven road, then the problem should be your suspensions. Your bike suspension is not as stiff as it is supposed to be. You might have to get a check on it. I experienced similar problems with by 150 and this rectified it. Make you can try this as well.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 10:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
i will try that too. btw lot of guys talk about me riding with my hand off the bar well i do it just to see if it wobbles not otherwise. the main problem is that even when i ride with hands on the bar and say a pass of a edge in the road it feels as if its turning on its own, it kind of shakes. this is the concern cause i feel i dont have complete control of my bike!and in rains when it gets slippery god save me
I had the same problem. I felt the bike was behaving on its own, I had the race bear changed, now not a problem.
gajsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2009, 18:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
cruiser_1982 :
Is the bike wobbling whent he road is slightly uneven or is it wobbling when the road is perfectly flat? If the wobble is experienced when crossing over slightly uneven road, then the problem should be your suspensions. Your bike suspension is not as stiff as it is supposed to be. You might have to get a check on it. I experienced similar problems with by 150 and this rectified it. Make you can try this as well.
This used to happen before i changed the cone set and tyre(BTW i fit a 90x90 TVS tire).now i dont feel it.

the problem is on flat surface of road.my hands shake with the handlebar at 60

Quote:
gajsh :
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel
i will try that too. btw lot of guys talk about me riding with my hand off the bar well i do it just to see if it wobbles not otherwise. the main problem is that even when i ride with hands on the bar and say a pass of a edge in the road it feels as if its turning on its own, it kind of shakes. this is the concern cause i feel i dont have complete control of my bike!and in rains when it gets slippery god save me
I had the same problem. I felt the bike was behaving on its own, I had the race bear changed, now not a problem.
Where is race bear located?can you please elaborate?
Old 11th March 2009, 08:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
This used to happen before i changed the cone set and tyre(BTW i fit a 90x90 TVS tire).now i dont feel it.

the problem is on flat surface of road.my hands shake with the handlebar at 60

Where is race bear located?can you please elaborate?
The race bearing kit comprises of the two bearings in the cone, at the fork neck part.
The race bearings come as a kit, a single package. Original yamaha kit costs about 350 rupees. Please be advised the bearings have to be immaculately fitted, or else there will always be problems, if not tightened properly (loosely fitted) then the bike may wobble (probably as in your case), if fitted very tightly, you will have difficulty in maneuvering the bike.
Old 11th March 2009, 08:32   #22
BHPian

google for "head race bearing"

http://www.linksengineer.com/Admin/N...05976a3e0a.jpg
Old 11th March 2009, 08:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

I rarely use my bike these days, but even I experience this slight wobbling, as if the bike is resisting the moves you want it to make. This happens only during highway riding, at around 60kmph. The road is pretty smooth and even.
It is pretty inconsistent though, and may or may not happen everytime it is taken above 60.
Infact, a couple of months ago, it was one of the few times I had taken my bike to work. While returning at around 9pm or so , the wobbling got so bad after some amount of riding that I thought I had a flat. Stopped to check, cursing at the same time, because I was on the highway, with little chance of finding a tyre shop anywhere near and open at that hour. However, there was no flat, and the tyre (MRF Zapper) seemed fine. Put the bike on stand, to check if the rear wheel moved freely. It did. Decided to carry on at very low speeds. Trundled along at 20kmph for some distance. The wobbling sort of reduced,( or I got used to it), a couple of kilometers down the road. By the time I hit the city roads, it was all but gone. Next day, it was absent altogether.

Ohh..and the bike is a 2005 Pulsar 150.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 09:42   #24
BHPian

@gajsh
Hi,
Thats exaclty what i changed(The local mech call it cone set) but still there is no improvement. i asked him to see if its fitted loose,he just tried to pull the forks outward to see if any 'tick' sound comes, which didnt so he said its ok.

@cruiser_1982

Which susp are you talking about?front forks or rear ones?
Old 11th March 2009, 10:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel;1208132
@[B
cruiser_1982[/b]

I mean both the front forks and the rear ones.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 12:04   #26
BHPian

The rear shocks are at level 2.the front ones need to be checked. btw do the pro biking showrooms do this stuff even after the paid servicings are over?or how bout getting these checked at castrol bike zone?
Old 11th March 2009, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
@gajsh
Hi,
Thats exaclty what i changed(The local mech call it cone set) but still there is no improvement. i asked him to see if its fitted loose,he just tried to pull the forks outward to see if any 'tick' sound comes, which didnt so he said its ok.

@cruiser_1982

well I hope they are properly fitted and aligned (some sort of special equipment is required to do that, a lengthy rod specifically designed to align the race bearing)
Old 12th March 2009, 13:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Have you changed the front fork oil ?

Sometimes handling issues creep up because of old damaged front fork oil.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 14:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

I remember that the highway leading to Pune from Hyderabad had a lot of Bullock cart traffic.
Fully loaded with Sugarcane and with the thin tires they cut a deep groove on the road surface.

My bike suddenly started wobbling when the wheel got into one such long groove.

Please verify if the road condition has anything to do with your wobbling issue.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 10:59   #30
BHPian

yeah had changed the fork oil.btw i face the problem on flat surface.