Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th July 2015, 19:50   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Thanks KA18.
Mine has clocked 10k now. has been servicing it at every 3k kms.
I am mightly confused about the choice of oil.
I want something in the range of 15w50 as recommended. and I don't want to compramise on the 50 part.
As of now, Liquid Gun (mineral oil) and Motul 5100 seems to fit the specs.
I dont the extra cost of the Semi synthetic Motul 5100. Need something that is best for my engine. (Classic DS).
Right now its mineral oil with wurth additive (80ml).

Have talked to many users. Some say shell FS oil. Some says mineral only. Some says Motul 300V(SS).

EOD, I am very confused.
@ sayooji, if you intend to service it every 3k kms along with an oil change, just stick to mineral oil.

Motul is the brand recommended by the manufacturer, so I'm not using any other.
Motul 5100 is good enough for the bike, drain interval should last upto 6k.

Of late, RE has it's OEM supply under the brand Liquid Gun, which I have never used before.

Any good brand with 15w50 should work.

I doubt if FS oil would have any improvement. Our REs do not employ the latest technology for engines.

Have you tried using the oil without the additive and noticed the difference?

If you don't mind paying for the expensive oils, you could always experiment once and switch back.
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 20:13   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
@ sayooji, if you intend to service it every 3k kms along with an oil change, just stick to mineral oil.

Motul is the brand recommended by the manufacturer, so I'm not using any other.
Motul 5100 is good enough for the bike, drain interval should last upto 6k.

Of late, RE has it's OEM supply under the brand Liquid Gun, which I have never used before.

Any good brand with 15w50 should work.

I doubt if FS oil would have any improvement. Our REs do not employ the latest technology for engines.

Have you tried using the oil without the additive and noticed the difference?

If you don't mind paying for the expensive oils, you could always experiment once and switch back.
The reason for servicing every 3k is coz of the mineral oil liquid gun. It is suggested that oil change be done at 3k interval.

I know RE use to suggest Motul earlier. But since the Liquid Gun has come, they are marketing only that.

I have been using oil without additive only.I added the additive myself after 9k service. I felt that the overall engine has become bit more smooth. Just to make sure that my mind is not playing games with me, I asked my friend also to ride my bike ( I didn't tell him about adding additive).
He at once remarked that your bulll has become smooth.

I dont mind trying expensive oils. But I dont want oil leaks to start coz of the ester component in the SS / FS oils.

Also came across a post in another forum that, oil change at 3k is to be done so that the metal particles will be flushed out time to time. Dont know how true this is.
sayoojl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 00:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
UCE engines love synthetic oil? Was reading in some other forums and some were telling that the ester in FS oil will remove the seals formed by sludge and oil will start leaking in RE's.
The main culprit is sub-standard construction.
So people are suggesting to go for FS oil at the first oil change itself.
How true is this?

I don't recommend using a full synthetic oil for the first oil change but it is not due to anything that the synthetic oil might do to the engine.

It is due to the high cost of synthetic oils.

The first oil and filter change at 500 km is extremely important but the engine and transmission are still not fully broken in.

This is why there is a 500-1000 km period where although the maximum speed is increased to 90 kmph, the use of a full throttle is to be avoided. A 3/4 throttle max is highly recommended by Royal Enfield during this period.

Although the 2nd oil change is listed in the Owners Manual at 3000 km, I do not agree with this distance.

As I say, the engine is still in the process of breaking in during this 500-1000 km period and small metal filings are still being generated.

That said, I recommend making the second oil change at 1000-1600 km. (The oil filter does not need changing at this time.)

If one uses my recommendation, the oil put into the engine at the first oil change will only be in the engine for a distance of 500-1100 km and regular types of motor oil will provide all of the protection the engine will need.
By using the low cost regular motor oil during this period, its lower cost will result in more money in your pocket.

For the "second" (third if you follow my recommendations) oil change at 3000 km I recommend using at least a semi-synthetic oil (like Royal Enfield recommends) or a full synthetic oil.

As for the "ester in FS oil", first, the ester is what the oil is synthesized from, it has been converted to synthetic oil. It is the "base" stock for the oil.

The oil seals in modern engines are usually made of a Nitrile rubber compound which is totally resistant to both regular motor oils and synthetic motor oils.

Sludge does not form a seal and if a high quality motor oil (fossil or synthetic) is used, it will not exist in the engine. The detergents in good motor oils will keep it from forming.

My reason for suggesting using semi-synthetic (as a minimum) or full synthetic oil in the Royal Enfield engine (UCE, AVL and Iron Barrel) is based on several things.

First, synthetic oils resist heat breakdown better and air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines. (Synthetic oils are used in all jet engines because of this). This prevents or greatly lessens the formation of varnishes and carbon particles.

Second, because synthetic oils are the top of the line, they usually contain the best detergents, anti-sludge, anti-foaming, anti-scuffing, anti-corrosion, viscosity stabilizer additives available from the company that makes it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 11:25   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I don't recommend using a full synthetic oil for the first oil change but it is not due to anything that the synthetic oil might do to the engine.
Thank You Arizona Jim for the detailed reply. I see the point. I wish I had posted this before I brought my vehicle so that I could have done the oil change as per your recommendation.

Pardon me if I am troubling you. For a classic DS, do you think its perfectly safe to change to a semi synthetic oil like Motul 5100 15W50 for service at 12k?

What other oil do you suggest? As you are aware the recommended rating is API SL JASO MA 15w50.
I could find only Motul 5100 fitting the same specs.
Any other oils out there? (Coz I am a bit reluctant to compromise on the 50 part)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2015 at 08:49. Reason: Trimming quoted content. Inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 31st July 2015, 00:40   #140
Senior - BHPian

Motul 5100 15w50 will work fine in all of the Royal Enfield engines.

As I don't live in India, I am not sure what brands of semi-synthetic oils are available but any of them which meet API SJ and JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 will be suitable for the DS.

You are wise to look for a multi-viscosity oil that is a 50 weight oil.
Being an air cooled engine, the Royal Enfields use clearances between the moving parts which are slightly larger than a water cooled engine would use.

The thicker 50 weight oil will serve to cushion the effects of these larger clearances.

As for the first numbers like 10w, 15w and 20w, these represent the thickness of the oil when it is cold.

A cold 20w oil will not be thicker than cold 20 weight oil. A cold 15w oil will not be thicker than a cold 15 weight oil at the same temperature.

These "w" ratings only become important when the ambient temperature is below -15C (5F) which is the temperature a 15w oil is tested at. (A 20w oil is tested at -10C)

For that reason, although Royal Enfield recommends using a 15w oil, using a 20w oil will cause no real harm at the temperatures most motorcycles are ridden at.

IMO, this makes a 20w50 weight oil suitable for use in the Royal Enfield DS and all of the other motorcycles that specify the use of a 15wXX oil.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 12:21   #141
BHPian

Have decided to go ahead with Motul 5100 15w50 SS... and a oil change cycle of 5k kms...
Its been really long that I have been going through various forums to get a good answer to this oil change dilemma. Thank you for your wise words and inputs so that I was able to make a decision.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

I recently changed my Oil on the 500 Standard UCE.

used shell semi synthetic oil for the job.

One peculiar issue is that the gear shifts have become pretty rough, Getting it to neutral is quite difficult.

2 Liters of oil in the engine and .5 liters of oil in the gear box.

Prior to the oil change, the gear shifts were okay.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 23:47   #143
Senior - BHPian

Was the Shell oil you used made for 4 stroke motorcycle engines or for automobiles?

I ask because the oil made for motorcycle engines usually has a higher quantity of ZDDP (a Zinc/Phosphate compound) than modern automotive oils.

ZDDP is one of the compounds that makes up the "extreme pressure lubricant" oils need when they are used to lubricate the gears in a transmission.
Most, if not all 4 stroke motorcycle oils have enough of this compound in them to do an adequate job.

You mentioned "2 Liters of oil in the engine and .5 liters of oil in the gear box".

It may seem picky to mention this but all of the oil in a Royal Enfield UCE is contained in the oil sump (or tank) at the bottom of the engine.
This oil lubricates both the engine and the transmission.

I mention this only because I don't want owners of the UCE powered motorcycles to read this statement and then start looking for the mythical "transmission oil fill location".
It doesn't exist.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 12:09   #144
BHPian

Guys, my friend put his RE Classic 500 for the second service at 2800 kms. The RE Service center by Sairam Autocraft in Narayanpura, Bangalore returned the motorcycle without changing the oil and suggested that an oil change is needed only at 6000 kms They had put the standard mineral oil during the first service at 500kms, 2 months back.

What do you guys suggest ? Change the oil now ? I think the 5500 kms interval is taking the mineral oil too far. He doesn't feel any difference while riding though !
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 14:08   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Guys, my friend put his RE Classic 500 for the second service at 2800 kms. The RE Service center by Sairam Autocraft in Narayanpura, Bangalore returned the motorcycle without changing the oil and suggested that an oil change is needed only at 6000 kms They had put the standard mineral oil during the first service at 500kms, 2 months back.

What do you guys suggest ? Change the oil now ? I think the 5500 kms interval is taking the mineral oil too far. He doesn't feel any difference while riding though !
Mate as per the service schedule in the owners manual the first oil change happens at 500 kms or 45 +/- 8 days(First free service) whichever is earlier. The second free service happens at 3000 kms or 90 +/- 15 days whichever is earlier, this service does NOT include any oil change just regular checking and oil top up. The oil is changed during the third free service which comes in at 6000 kms or 180 +/- 15 days. The authorised service centre mentioned by your friend is following the service schedule as recommended by RE. There are people who have changed their oil between the second and third free service as a precautionary measure since their motorcycles hit the psychological 3500 kms mark. I own a Tbird500 and speak from my experience of changing oil as per factory recommendations.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 20:04   #146
BHPian

Hi Bullet Guru's need an answer.
My mechanic says that he has put in 2750 ML engine oil during the recent service. But the RE Manual says that only 2500 ML.
Was that a bluff ?
Someone help
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 00:13   #147
Senior - BHPian

The most oil I've ever been able to get into my 2011 Royal Enfield UCE 500 without overfilling it is 2.1 US quarts. That would be equal to 1.99 liters.

This quantity of oil brought the oil level in the sight guage up to the center of the window after starting the engine, letting it idle for a minute while resting on the centerstand and then shutting it off to let the oil in the upper area drain back into the sump.

This quantity was added after I had changed the oil filter, removed the main drain plug, the pump filter inlet cover, tipped the motorcycle both right and left to get the oil out of the side covers and cranked the engine to get some of the oil out of the cavity below the crankshaft. (The new RE UCE engines have a dedicated forward drain plug to drain this cavity).

There are several areas in the engine that are difficult if not impossible to drain the oil from so I have come to the conclusion that if the engine had been totally disassembled and cleaned and then reassembled it might take the 2.5 liters of oil the Owners Manual says it will hold.

By the way, the lower part of the engine used on the UCE 535cc CGT is the same as the one used on the 500cc engine so it holds the same quantity of oil.

I'm not saying your mechanic was wrong but I don't know how anyone could add 2.75 liters of oil to the new Royal Enfield UCE engine without overfilling it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 20:50   #148
BHPian

Usually i used to hand over the Motul 15w50 engine oil 2.5Ltr pack to the mechanic during service. However this time , the motul was out of stock and the oil dealer suggested me to go with Veedol. Post the service i realised that it was a 3 Ltr pack from Veedol . On questioning, my mech replied he had poured 2.75 Ltr in the engine and the rest he confessed has beed used for his scooty !
Felt cheated, the trust was broken.
In this case i believe this crook mech siphoned off 1 Ltr.
Also even if we provide engine oil of 2.5Ltr pack, i guess he would have used only 2 Ltrs.
By the way i can feel the difference , the performance with Motul was better & more smoother unlike the Veedol.
Its a 2013 STD-350- UCE
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 21:34   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
By the way i can feel the difference , the performance with Motul was better & more smoother unlike the Veedol.
Its a 2013 STD-350- UCE
The company specified engine oil for Standard 350 UCE is Motul 30004T Plus 15W50 API, SL (or) SM Grade, Jaso MA (or) MA2, which is specifically used in motorcycles with wet clutch.
Please check whether the veedol confirms with the above specifications and if it varies in any of the above, then drain the engine oil ASAP and refill with specified engine oil to prevent engine damage.

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th October 2015 at 21:35.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 16:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Is veedol 4t take off 15w50 really that bad? It was a factory fill up until 2012 or so.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th March 2016 at 16:25.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote