Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th August 2008, 09:38   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Nikoo, I got my Bullet 350 std from ESS AAR in 1997 and Machismo in 2007 after I sold off the first one.
I get my bike serviced from ESS AAR when ever I am in Delhi/Noida. That guy has been delivering in all these years. Somebody else had adviced me stay clear of Noida guys and rather go to Karol Bagh to the problems fixed at very reasonable rates.
agreed, i am getting my bikes done from that place for the last 3+ years!! I can personally vouch for their credibilty. Well i cant use those good words for Noida guys since mods check these forums , else i wud have gone for a full blown Punjabi for Mahadev agency
But Susan i feel you at the right place(Kapurthala), none of the cities in Punjab have any dearth of Bullet mechanics!!

Last edited by nickoo : 4th August 2008 at 09:40.
nickoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 21:43   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That 350cc barrels are being made in India... lol Indians pay through their nose in Pounds to get those back to India. Somebody should put Samrat over their lap and start spanking.

Don't spend too much money on the high volume oil pumps.. it's not worth it unless the Bull is extensively modified for more power.

Last but not the least.. many Bull owners in the west are a paranoid lot and everybody thinks their Bull is going to break down if they don't get one of those high volume pumps or alpha roller bearings. For the hitchcock's 40rwhp trail monster all of these parts would be critical to perform reliably.. not for our tame Bulls though.

The lightning 535 had a bigger oil pump, if your 500 is post 2003 then yours has that pump. Anyways all the new Bulls including the STD350 comes with that bigger pump.
I thought might aswell Put this here.

Talked to some one in Ahmedabad.
"he told that, beleive it or not SAMRAT is not making any barrels for HITCHCOCKS. they are still in talks with them for the same but the metallurgy is not working for the results that they want. "

now i am not sure how true is this.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 21:58   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I thought might aswell Put this here.

Talked to some one in Ahmedabad.
"he told that, beleive it or not SAMRAT is not making any barrels for HITCHCOCKS. they are still in talks with them for the same but the metallurgy is not working for the results that they want. "

now i am not sure how true is this.
If not Samrat then somebody else is sure making them. Hitchcock's website clearly mentions that Al barrels are made in India. They sell two types of Al barrels - one is blue printed and confirms to their standards they sell it at a higher cost, they sell the other set of barrels which doesn't confirm to their standards for a cheaper price.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 22:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If not Samrat then somebody else is sure making them. Hitchcock's website clearly mentions that Al barrels are made in India. They sell two types of Al barrels - one is blue printed and confirms to their standards they sell it at a higher cost, they sell the other set of barrels which doesn't confirm to their standards for a cheaper price.
Jee han tum sahi keh rahe ho, Parantu prashan ye hai ki agar Smarat nahi to ye Barrel Kaun bana raha hai?

(Yes you are rite, but the question is if not SAMRAT then who is making these barrels)
Old 8th September 2008, 22:51   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep someone must be making it. Origin is definitely India.

Hehehe.. no need for the translation i know Hindi But since i'm back in KL and i hardly get to speak Hindi and i have lost the fluency :(
Old 8th September 2008, 22:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep someone must be making it. Origin is definitely India.

Hehehe.. no need for the translation i know Hindi But since i'm back in KL and i hardly get to speak Hindi and i have lost the fluency :(
No Sir i know you may be understanding Hindi. it was for our English speaking brothers. hehehe
Old 9th September 2008, 08:58   #67
BHPian

i know that i am going lil offtopic, but since its question of enhanced performance
: I rode a friend's LB500 with VM34 carb, K&N ,Free flow exhaust and the bike tuned by none other then Bose Sir. Gosh..its a 500CC rocket..the pickup in 5th gear is just owesome and it pulls like anything. So i would suggest instead of going for high performance barrels, if you want to improve the mid range for for free flow airfilter, bigger carb and free flow exhaust.
Old 9th September 2008, 09:34   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Nickoo, we were discussing about aluminium barrels for cast iron Bullets.

Al bore come into picture only after the bike has been highly tuned and heat dissipation/clearance issues start with cast iron barrels. Cast iron barrels can still be used but will have to use excessive piston clearance.

Last edited by Sankar : 9th September 2008 at 09:37.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:04   #69
BHPian

i agree...that was why i wrote that iam going a lil off topic!
In my personal opinion i dont think using Al barrel for cast iron engine is a advisable option.
Old 18th April 2009, 07:51   #70
BHPian

Default Havoline 20w 50

Has anyone tried Havoline 20w 50 for the CI engine? Any feedback on performance compared to other oils?
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:43   #71

Default 10w40

Hi
I am using castrol power1 since jan 2007 in my Thunderbird, no problems so far now i am thinking of switching to Shell's 10w40 considering the cold conditions in north part of INDIA. has any one tried the above mention engine oil.
alligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 20:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Hi
I am using castrol power1 since jan 2007 in my Thunderbird, no problems so far now i am thinking of switching to Shell's 10w40 considering the cold conditions in north part of INDIA. has any one tried the above mention engine oil.
Hey there,

I would advise sticking to the prescribed grade i.e. 50 even in winters. The Bullet engine heats up enough even in winters specially in city riding conditions, & then a 10W40 might not suffice for long. Also, just a suggestion, a Bullet does good with a simple mineral oil & it does not require expensive (synthetic or semi-synthetic) oils as much as the modern day engines would, although there is nothing wrong with using such an oil.

Nandan (from Bangalore) once said to me "ghode ko ghaas khilaani chahiye, biryaani nahi". So true in fact.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 23:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey there,

I would advise sticking to the prescribed grade i.e. 50 even in winters. The Bullet engine heats up enough even in winters specially in city riding conditions, & then a 10W40 might not suffice for long. Also, just a suggestion, a Bullet does good with a simple mineral oil & it does not require expensive (synthetic or semi-synthetic) oils as much as the modern day engines would, although there is nothing wrong with using such an oil.

Nandan (from Bangalore) once said to me "ghode ko ghaas khilaani chahiye, biryaani nahi". So true in fact.

Take care.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar
Prakhar Bhai,

The prescribed grade for all the AVLs is 20W40. For all other bullets including the UCE, it is 20W50. That said, I'm running Motul 15W50 300V with good results, read a smoother engine. The only issue here was the oil pump being designed for 20W40. But, as the base weight was lower(i.e. 15), the pump really didn't have pumping issues at all. I agree to your saying that 20W50 is better for hotter climes. That said, I disagree with your theory that semi synthetics/synthetics isn't required by the bullets, especially considering our congested traffic conditions. A semi synthetic/synthetic oil with higher flash points would be great as the Bullets's big air cooled engines heat up real quick in slow moving traffic. So if you can afford it, synthetic is the way to go for better engine life. No two things to it. Coming to Nandan's statement, it could probably be his opinion about older CI Bullets as they leaked oil and this made it imperative to change oil/top up frequently. But that isn't the case with newer Bullets and I'm pretty sure that Nandan will agree with this.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 23:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
i agree...that was why i wrote that iam going a lil off topic!
In my personal opinion i dont think using Al barrel for cast iron engine is a advisable option.
I know that this is a pretty old post. Nevertheless, I am posting to dispel the myth that AL barrels aren't good for the CI engines. AL barrels are extremely good for CI engines, not just as a performance mod but even as a reliability mod. Aluminum barrels dissipate heat better and better heat dissipation = longer engine life and a whole load of goodies with it.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 23:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jay,

Thanks for correcting me, gosh. I just didn't read that the guy had a Thunderbird, I guess I am in too much of a shock to see the CIs being departed.

Well, I agree with you that a synthetic oil is better for any engine but it is not required. But still, you stand correct in saying that the synthetic oils are & should be better for any engine. Although the cotton based filters in the CI Bullets are known not to mate well with these synthetics as well. These synthetics have a far better cleaning ability & I have seen these filters getting clogged pretty soon in some engines (CI Bullet engine). So even though a synthetic oil is technologically better than a mineral oil, it is by no means a requirement. Although it can probably enhance the life of some engine components.

Anyways, you have a PM.

Happy thumping,
Prakhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Prakhar Bhai,

The prescribed grade for all the AVLs is 20W40. For all other bullets including the UCE, it is 20W50. That said, I'm running Motul 15W50 300V with good results, read a smoother engine. The only issue here was the oil pump being designed for 20W40. But, as the base weight was lower(i.e. 15), the pump really didn't have pumping issues at all. I agree to your saying that 20W50 is better for hotter climes. That said, I disagree with your theory that semi synthetics/synthetics isn't required by the bullets, especially considering our congested traffic conditions. A semi synthetic/synthetic oil with higher flash points would be great as the Bullets's big air cooled engines heat up real quick in slow moving traffic. So if you can afford it, synthetic is the way to go for better engine life. No two things to it. Coming to Nandan's statement, it could probably be his opinion about older CI Bullets as they leaked oil and this made it imperative to change oil/top up frequently. But that isn't the case with newer Bullets and I'm pretty sure that Nandan will agree with this.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 21st January 2010 at 00:05.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote