Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th April 2010, 15:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

How often do we need to change the gearbox oil?! Its been more than six months, but mechanic says that its still good.

Also how do we check the oil level and quality of the gearbox oil? AVL 350, 5 speed.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 23:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Gear box oil is good to go for 6000 Kms. I strongly suggest a change if the oil is older than six months.

The level of the gearbox oil can be checked by loosening the lower rear case screw on the gearbox casing. After draining, fill until you can see the oil trickling down from the cavity of this screw and then tighten this screw.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 02:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

i changed the gearbox oil for my 4 speed after like 2 years. and it was not excatly the oil that was used. it was 200 ML. 90 grade oil mixed with 200 gm of Grease. and this would go on for years or so for sure
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 23:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The level of the gearbox oil can be checked by loosening the lower rear case screw on the gearbox casing.
Jay, could you point out which one? Also what color should the oil be, and when does it need replacement? Any other inspection tips?

Name:  nut.jpg
Views: 20283
Size:  34.9 KB
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 16:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Jay, could you point out which one? Also what color should the oil be, and when does it need replacement? Any other inspection tips?

Attachment 333178
The allen key that is in line with the gearbox filler cap.

The oil's viscosity is the one indicator. But this is something that only experienced hands will be able to make out. About the color, blackish grey oil will be the right time to change. There isn't any combustion material or heat associated wear om the gearbox. So, you only need to shine a light on the drained oil and watch out for excess metal particles which might be from the gearbox. Usually there will be some wear particles. That's about the gear oil change.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 10:26   #96
BHPian

Friends,
How to check the viscosity (condition) of engine oil?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 10:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Friends,
How to check the viscosity (condition) of engine oil?
A bit hard to explain it without showing it but I will try. To begin with, take a drop of brand new engine oil between your index finger and thumb and feel the texture, color and viscosity. Also note that it will have no impurities.

Now, take the engine oil of your bike from the dipstick and compare it on the same counts as above. Do not bother about color much as any oil, once put in the engine will lose its color. Pay special attention to its stickiness and the way it feels on your fingers compared to the new oil.

Apart from this, there are simple blotting paper tests available on the internet as well where you put a drop of oil and see the way it blots leaving behind impurities.

You will get better with practice.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 14:05   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Check for the one I have pointed out.
Attached Images

Last edited by pradipk : 28th June 2010 at 14:06.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:50   #99
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...

What type of clutch Std 350 use? Dry or wet?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 08:54   #100
BHPian

Guys I picked up a second hand Dec 2008 Thunderbird, total mileage of 7500 Km. The previous owner had missed the last service (4th service) and the engine oil was a very dark colour. I replaced it with the normal oil the ASC uses and have run for around 1000Km on it. I want to use an engine flush and then move to a synthetic oil.

Which engine flush do you guys recommend ? And which synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is best to use ? I'm a bit tired of the noisy clatter of the UCE engine and have read comments that moving onto synth reduces the noise from the valve train or the hydraulic lifters.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 14:17   #101
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2011 at 18:11.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2011, 21:34   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Guys I picked up a second hand Dec 2008 Thunderbird, total mileage of 7500 Km. The previous owner had missed the last service (4th service) and the engine oil was a very dark colour. I replaced it with the normal oil the ASC uses and have run for around 1000Km on it. I want to use an engine flush and then move to a synthetic oil.

Which engine flush do you guys recommend ? And which synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is best to use ? I'm a bit tired of the noisy clatter of the UCE engine and have read comments that moving onto synth reduces the noise from the valve train or the hydraulic lifters.
I have used Cyclo Oil Flush came for about 200 bucks, you just need to pour it in and start the bike and let it idle for 5 minutes and then drain all the oil. The oil i used was Mobil 1 which i got for around 700/ Litre.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:22   #103

hi guys,
I am new to RE and am loving every min of the ownership. i have a 2009 tbts, done about 14K. time to change oil and was thinking of Shell Helix Ultra.
have any of you guys used it in RE? any pros & cons?
please advise.

Abhi
Abhi2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 11:39   #104
BHPian

Ive a few queries on OIL

I own a used 350CI (2009 model) , I have had it for some 6 months , and the oil has been changed twice (1st change was when I had bought the bike 5500kms) and the 2nd change of oil / oil filter was on 7000kms.. since the oil did look black so the mech reccomended I change it (now im on 8700kms) , the bike runs smooth. I noticed some oil leak on the gear & the banjo nut, the mechanic said it is normal as the bike throws some excess oil out, I had the bike washed , there is no oil leak as of now (a week after the wash) but I checked the oil level & want to query as to what level is considered okay , mine is just a inch above the rough area of the stick. Also Bike isnt running much in the last month.

My query is should I top up the Oil ? Which Oil do I use ?
Or should I just ride on till 10000kms for the oil oil filter change by the mechanic ( concidering one changes the Oil every 3000kms)
vikrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:08   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Ive a few queries on OIL

I own a used 350CI (2009 model) , I have had it for some 6 months , and the oil has been changed twice (1st change was when I had bought the bike 5500kms) and the 2nd change of oil / oil filter was on 7000kms.. since the oil did look black so the mech reccomended I change it (now im on 8700kms) , the bike runs smooth. I noticed some oil leak on the gear & the banjo nut, the mechanic said it is normal as the bike throws some excess oil out, I had the bike washed , there is no oil leak as of now (a week after the wash) but I checked the oil level & want to query as to what level is considered okay , mine is just a inch above the rough area of the stick. Also Bike isnt running much in the last month.

My query is should I top up the Oil ? Which Oil do I use ?
Or should I just ride on till 10000kms for the oil oil filter change by the mechanic ( concidering one changes the Oil every 3000kms)
An inch above the minimum level is fine, you don't need to top up. I use Valvoline or Motul. You can ride till 10000kms without any issues and yes the excess oil comes out, its normal. Although the capacity of engine is 2.25 litres from next time just fill 1.9 - 2.0 litres.
ricky_1605 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote