Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th May 2011, 10:01   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrut View Post
Ive a few queries on OIL

My query is should I top up the Oil ? Which Oil do I use ?
After trying a quite few brands, the one that I liked best was Motul 5100 15W 50 oil for my standard 350. It is a semi synth oil. Whichever brand you use, you will have to ensure you use the right grade of oil.
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 12:54   #107
BHPian

I am again coming to old several time discussed matter. MOTOR CYCLE ENGINE OIL.

Article (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...must-read.html (Motorcycle Engine Oil Article. Must read!)) becomes very important when matter comes to 3 box engine bullets.

I need clarity for use of JASO certified oils in 3 box engine bullet.
I use 20w 50 grade non JASO certified (car engine oil) oil for my Std. 350 (3 box), as the 3 box bullets are having separate clutch box & separate gear box from engine crank case so there is no chance for faster wear of gears (because of low phosphorus) & slipping clutch (added friction modifiers).
Am I right for above?

What other men are doing?

After introduction of UCE engines there is a chance at RE authorised centers that they will put the same oil in UCE and 3 box engines.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

You are correct in saying the older Royal Enfields which have a separate clutch and primary drive case and a separate gearbox have their own oil supplies which is not shared with the engine but there are several areas in the engine where the JASO certified oils are beneficial.

The shape of the camshaft lobes was designed expecting the lubrication properties still available with the JASO oils which include the presence of zinc dithiophosphate.
This helps to protect the bottom of the valve lifters which are riding directly against the cam lobes.

Of somewhat less importance is the benefit of the zink/phosphorus material to the piston rings and valve stems but they too should last longer with this material in the lubricating oil.

I might add that there are several motor oils made specifically for Diesel engines which still have the zinc dithiophosphate in them and they do not have some of the new automotive super lubes that can cause wet plate clutch slippage.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 22nd January 2013 at 02:37.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The shape of the camshaft lobes was designed expecting the lubrication properties still available with the JASO oils which include the presence of zinc dithiophosphate.
This helps to protect the bottom of the valve lifters which are riding directly against the cam lobes.
Thanks for reply. I really didn’t considered valve lifters and cam lobs. But the cam lobs and rockers in cars also getting lubricated by the same non JASO certified oil?.
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Yes, either the valve lifters or, in the case of many direct operating overhead cam engines, the bucket that sits on top of the valve stem operate against the cam lobes but in an auto designed for the new oils, the camshaft lobes are usually designed for the lack of a high pressure lubricant in the oil.
This may involve slower rates of lift.

Motorcycle engines are usually designed with performance in mind so things like the cam lobe profiles can be designed to optimize this.
With the idea that JASO type oils will be used for lubrication, the designers hands are not tied so the cams can open and close the valves faster, thereby providing better breathing.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 23:53   #111
BHPian

In the greed of friction modifiers and considering that JASO is only concern with lubricant for wet clutch motorcycles, I used non JASO certified oils.
To avoid any confusion I opened the owner’s manual and again fall in confusion.
There are mixing of both JASO & non JASO oils in recommendation chart.

1. Std 350 2006 model (C.I. 3 box Engine)
HP Racer 20w 50 is the only JASO MA certified in chart, rest all are non JASO (meant for cars)
Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...-std-350.jpg

2. Machismo 350 & 500 (AVL 3 box Engine)
Indian oil & Gulf oil are non JASO oil, rest all are JASO MA certified
Royal Enfield Bullet oil change...-machismo-avl.jpg

3. It is clearly stated in UCE engine to use JASO MA certified oil, whereas it is nothing like this in 3 box engine manual.

Now what should I do? Should I go with latest API grade JASO MA2 certified oil or continue using non JASO oils?

It has been noticed in AVL engines that timing gear set need to be replaced @10K kms, is it because use of non JASO certified oils?
Old 20th October 2013, 12:13   #112
BHPian

I will be going for a oil change soon on my RE Classic Chrome (UCE 500). I found the following information from Shell India website. I will go with the 15W-50 but the other grades seems to be API-SM and JASO-MA2 (instead API-SL and JASO-MA as per the manual). Please let me know if you think I can go ahead with this engine oil and if there will be any issue apart from the extra price.

Any suggestion will be of great help.

"Designed to provide Shell's ultimate performance for all 4-stroke modern motorcycles

Shell Advance Ultra provides Shell’s ultimate protection and performance for all modern motorbikes, whatever their engine size. It delivers excellent control with smooth gear changes, and a more enjoyable ride thanks to reduced noise and vibration. Its fully synthetic technology helps to prolong the life of your engine.

Key features of Shell Advance Ultra
• Fully synthetic technology – for Shell’s ultimate protection and oil-performance reliability.
• Excellent shear stability – to dampen vibration and reduce noise.
• Optimised friction control – for smoother clutch engagement and gear changes.
• Shell's ultimate lubrication performance – for proven protection against valve train wear.
• Shell Advance's R.C.E* Technology – helps your bike perform to its peak potential and respond to your slightest touch.
• Removal of sludge and engine deposits.

*RCE = Reliability of oil-performance, Control, Enjoyable ride.

Available in viscosity grades: SAE J 300 10W-40 and 15W-50. Both formulations meet: API SM and JASO MA2."
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 07:29   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Available in viscosity grades: SAE J 300 10W-40 and 15W-50. Both formulations meet: API SM and JASO MA2."
Can you please provide the link for the same? Shell india do not have any motorcycle in 15W_ specification (http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...nce-ultra.html).
Google a little and found the international debit on API SF, SG….. SN classification. I am also not fully understood but do not exceed API S_ specifications for my bikes.
I suggest for Castrol Power1 racing 10w 50, API SL JASO MA-2 (http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7078871), if you any problem with Motul.
Old 25th October 2013, 06:22   #114
BHPian

Default Ep 140 ?

Any possible harm in using Ep140 against Ep90 in 5sp g'box?

I think it'll be alright but i'll be happy to be corrected just in case you know. I did replace the just 500km run 90 grade with 140 grade in my 40K young Electra 5s. Going by the thicker grease-oil mix used in 4s g'boxes & seeing mech's mixing 90 gear oil instead of 20w50 motor oil to grease and that 140 is anyways thinner than the mix, i'm just trying. There is noticeable smoothness & quietness in operation to start with. Lube is Valvoline Ep140 Api Gl4.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 20:51   #115
BHPian

After so many trial and errors (errors purely because I didn't like it) I am now hooked on to Valvoline 4T (20W50) for almost 2 years now. What I am very much impressed about is that unlike the others which are good specially Shell Helix and HX3, the bike doesn't overheat at all for the hot summers of today. And even traffic jams that tests your patience to the limit, I need not worry about heat blasts from my engine. So the Valvoline 4T (20W50) is highly recommended by me if someone wishes to try. This is applicable only for the CI engines.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 07:29   #116
BHPian

hi ron_9191, good to know that. I was pretty happy with Valvoline universal 20w50 api sg/cd for past 2-3 changes but now these seem to be replaced with another product. As you say, cooler running is best with Valvoline. In fact i stopped taking the bull out since last few days because of heating, though running the ever popular castrol Gtx. I'll have a look at the 4T, only worry though is that i've been using car engine oils only so far.
Old 30th March 2014, 13:23   #117
BHPian

Hey Rennjit, this is the oil I am referring to http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/atta...356d1292309406

Again it depends a lot on how old your RE is. The older RE's although I am not sure had smaller oil pumps but the ones after 2005, some say that they had bigger oil pumps to help the engine with better lubrication and thus help bringing down the heat. What model is your RE?
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 13:43   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Hey Rennjit, this is the oil I am referring to http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/atta...356d1292309406

Again it depends a lot on how old your RE is. The older RE's although I am not sure had smaller oil pumps but the ones after 2005, some say that they had bigger oil pumps to help the engine with better lubrication and thus help bringing down the heat. What model is your RE?
true , while I cant recall the exact year , the old standards circulate 400ml of oil per minute while the machismo can circulate 800ml or a litre of oil every minute. I think there is/was also a model circulating 600/650ml of oil per min somewhere in between .
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 17:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
... Again it depends a lot on how old your RE is. ....
Hi ron_9191, mine is '08 & it supposedly has them high capacity pumps. Thanks for the link, also read a positive comment on the Avenger ownership thread. Now, there's a Valvoline universal 20w50 specifying pertol/lpg/cng engine use, hope it'd be good as well it being meant for gas engines which tend to run hot much like the air-cooled motorcycle engines.

Last edited by Rennjit : 30th March 2014 at 17:11.
Old 31st March 2014, 00:11   #120
Senior - BHPian

Those of you who are riding the old Iron Barrel or the Lean Burn AVL models can use Valvoline universal 20w-50 in your engines if you wish.
These engines oil lubricates only the engine components.

Do not use it in your primary drive/clutch housing though.

Taken from Valvoline's information about this oil it says:

"Can be used in passenger cars, light trucks, garden equipment, pleasure boats, motorcycles without wet clutch, etc."

Notice, it says "without wet clutch".

The Royal Enfields all use a "wet clutch" and this oil does not meet the requirements of JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 so its use in the left side case can cause the clutch to slip.

Those of you who are riding the UCE powered RE's should not use this oil in your engine.
The UCE's engine oil is used to lubricate the engine, the clutch and the transmission and the Valvoline universal oil can cause clutch slipping. It also is not designed to provide the lubrication needed by the heavily loaded gears in the transmission.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 31st March 2014 at 00:14.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote