Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th September 2010, 10:44   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik_S View Post
I have a 4-Speed 2002 RX 135 that has run about 28k km.

I used it often for the first couple of years and then reduced drastically once I got my car. Off late I ride the bike once in a fortnight and get the oil changed and vehicle checked by my neighborhood mechanic once in three months.

When I rode the bike, I enjoyed it. These days I enjoy it for the few KM I ride on weekends.

So here's the question I wanted to ask - do I keep the vehicle or sell it? A gent I met last week is interested in the bike and so is my mechanic. I have no idea what the bike is worth but keep it around so I can enjoy the two stroke beauty once in a while.

Would you suggest keeping it or selling it? And if it is selling, what do I quote?

PS: The bike is stock with absolutely no work other than a replaced mirror and crash guard.

What have you decided buddy ?
Are you retaining the bike or planning to sell it ?
eagle_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 16:53   #437
BHPian

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I pulled the cover of my bike and have been riding it for the last two days, and I must confess, riding the bike is far more measurable than driving in Bangalore.

I have decided to sell the bike though. I can maintain her alright, but its probably better off with someone who plans to use it more regularly than me. Now I'll get started on searching for the original RC .

Best wishes for Eid and Ganesh chaturthi.
Karthik_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 10:18   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
On the restoration front, all plated and painted parts were collected and given to the mechanic. The bike is half built - awaiting the tank and side panels that I hope to get in couple of days. Saturday this week seems to be the D day. Can't wait !!
Got the bike this saturday! Looks amazing and since everything including the engine was reassembled, the ride quality is also fantastic. Pics as soon as I can take them and upload. It has costed me shade under 30K including the purchase cost and RTO ownership change. Here is other breakup
1. Replacement/New parts - 7.5 K
2. Painting - 4.2 K
3. Electroplating - 1.5 K
4. Bike reassembly - 1.5 K

and other sundry expenses like spoke fitting, some welding stuff etc. Pending items are battery, insurance and RVMs
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 13:21   #439
BHPian

Some snaps of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-100_1820.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-100_1822.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-100_1824.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-100_1825.jpg  

Old 19th September 2010, 16:40   #440
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks awesomely beautiful. You've exactly my taste mate
Mine looks exactly yours, except for...
1. The chain inspection window at the bottom instead of top
2. Disc brakes instead of front drum
3. Unpainted cylinder
4. Plastic cover on the front handle bar
5. Oil pump
6. Discover 135 SNS suspension instead of stock
7. Rx100 badge instead of Rx135
8. Straight engine guard instead of butterfly
9. Last but not the least, mine is black
10. TM28 carbs instead of stock

You need to get yourself a pair of Alfa Toyo mirrors; they add beauty to Rx. I would say, it was worth spending every penny on it. They look, awesomely beautiful. Tks for sharing the pics.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 17:00   #441
BHPian

I got a separte thread running for my Yamaha RX100, but thought of putting some post some into this thread as well. Attaching some images of my road queen.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...at-demand.html (Yamaha RX100 - Still in great demand)

I dont use it at all now days. Once in 2-3 weeks I take it out start it and then keep it back. My cousin comes some times to take it for a ride. It is still in immaculate condition.
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 17:02   #442
BHPian

I have a separate thread on my Yamaha RX100 and the link is attached below.
Just posting some images of my road queen.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...at-demand.html (Yamaha RX100 - Still in great demand)

I dont use it much now days, in 2-3 weeks I taker her out, wash her, start the engine and put her back in the porch. My cousin sometimes takes her for a ride. She is still in perfect condition.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-jk-bike.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-img_2645.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by jaisha8 : 19th September 2010 at 17:05.
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 17:03   #443
BHPian

Thanks @aargee
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Looks awesomely beautiful. You've exactly my taste mate
Mine looks exactly yours, except for...
7. Rx100 badge instead of Rx135
Couple of people suggested the RX100 emblems - and in all fairness the vehicle looks more an RX100 than an RX135. Even my RTO smart card has this listed as RX100. The only giveaway is the engraving on the engine block. Maybe at some later point in time, i might replace the emblems.

Quote:
I would say, it was worth spending every penny on it. They look, awesomely beautiful. Tks for sharing the pics.
I agree, the end result is worth all the money and effort that went in. A great bike, fantastic looks, smooth ride and not to mention new friends (mechanic, painter etc).
Old 19th September 2010, 17:21   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only giveaway is the engraving on the engine block.
I couldn't get this point!!!

Quote:
Maybe at some later point in time, i might replace the emblems.
Yep. But you see, my RC says Rx100 98 cc engine; but the present cylinder is 135 4 speed, but I've a speed gear box. How do you account that?

Quote:
not to mention new friends (mechanic, painter etc).
Aaah!!! how I hate to hear that!!! Sorry to say that mate, but I never trust any mechanics for all the con stories over 13 years. This is why I learned the entire mechanics of Rx & built my motorcycle at home. I bought all the genuine parts with bill all by myself which took over 8 months & did the entire assembling at home. Finally it became a 2010 model, but instead of straight from factory to showroom, all the parts came home & I assembled them. My first Thanks to the con mechanics, otherwise I would've not got angry to learn this all by myself.
Old 19th September 2010, 17:49   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Some snaps of the bike.
Simply superb. Seems like rolled out of showroom. Reminded me of my bike. Mine is also a '99 model RX135 repainted to Suzuki Silver.

Take good care of her. You'll cherish each moment spent with her.

Regards,
Jose.
josejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 12:26   #446
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't get this point!!!
The engine block has 132 cc mentioned - which I believe would be the only way to identify the displacement.

Quote:
Aaah!!! how I hate to hear that!!! Sorry to say that mate, but I never trust any mechanics for all the con stories over 13 years. This is why I learned the entire mechanics of Rx & built my motorcycle at home. I bought all the genuine parts with bill all by myself which took over 8 months & did the entire assembling at home. Finally it became a 2010 model, but instead of straight from factory to showroom, all the parts came home & I assembled them. My first Thanks to the con mechanics, otherwise I would've not got angry to learn this all by myself.
I understand - but since I lack the space (big requirement) to carry out rebuilding as a complete DIY, I was left with little choice. Fortunately, the mechanic is quite knowledgable, if not the best, in terms of rebuilding bikes. Saw a few others he had done and that was good enough for me. I do have pointers to better ones whom I will approach for fine tuning the bike. I did purchase all the parts myself and all other legwork in terms of dropping picking up the painted/plated parts.

I have my brother's RX100 which will undergo renovation next. No change of any sort on this one. It will retain it's black color. That's planned for oct onwards
Old 20th September 2010, 12:38   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine block has 132 cc mentioned - which I believe would be the only way to identify the displacement.
Tks; got it

Quote:
Fortunately, the mechanic is quite knowledgable, if not the best, in terms of rebuilding bikes.
Pal, I'm no way questioning the intelligence of the mechanics; its the over intelligence part

See, I used to get my Rx serviced at a certain workshop for over 12+ years. He used to charge more than what is required & I used to pay him all these years without a question. In 97, when I switched to 4speed cylinder, I paid him for it, but he got me a half sleeved 4 speed cylinder for the money I paid. How do you account this?

The moment, the mechs get to know you well, you become their cash cow. Only if they know that you've little more knowledge than they do, they're bound to work clean hands for you.

Quote:
I have my brother's RX100 which will undergo renovation next. No change of any sort on this one. It will retain it's black color. That's planned for oct onwards
Atleast start learning from this one
Old 21st September 2010, 20:51   #448
BHPian

@mmxylorider: Wonderful rebuild. The color chosen is brilliant, neat and elegant.

Few questions for you: Is that a RX crash guard (stock) on your bike?
The seat looks like RX100 and not of RX135, is that really intended to have RX100 seat or just happened?

You mentioned that you had spent about 7.5k on replacements. Could you elaborate if there was any engine work carried out?

@Aargee: I'm still searching for Alpha Toyo mirrors for my bike.
SriramEfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:12   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
@mmxylorider: Wonderful rebuild. The color chosen is brilliant, neat and elegant.
Thank you @SriramEfunds.
Quote:
Few questions for you: Is that a RX crash guard (stock) on your bike?
The seat looks like RX100 and not of RX135, is that really intended to have RX100 seat or just happened?
Both look from RX100 , don't they? I did not change what came with the bike.
Quote:
You mentioned that you had spent about 7.5k on replacements. Could you elaborate if there was any engine work carried out?
There was no engine work carried out. The 7.5 K is for new indicators, lock set, side panels, rims etc.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you @SriramEfunds.

Both look from RX100 , don't they? I did not change what came with the bike.
@mmxylorider:
  1. The seat is of RX100 because Rx135 pillion seat is bit elevated (Sponge level) and also less in width than Rx100 seat.
  2. Personally,I like only rx100 seat and not RX135...Somehow the elevated portion does not really gel with overall RX stance..So.whether intentionally or not ...your choice is good IMO..Wonderful rebuild...Hats off to you
@ for all readers...I got chance to ride his bike..great engine condition.No compromise made on quality and vitamin 'M' for this rebuild whenever required.
siddharthp is offline   Reply With Quote