Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th January 2012, 13:43   #556
BHPian

Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

I am new on TBHP and have been looking at various posts to gather details for my RX135 4-speed modifications. THis bike has been with me for the past 14 years and I haven't used it for the last 3 years as I was abroad. I just got the bike working and running in stock and it sounds really good. Now comes the part replacements that I intend to carry out. Reading so many posts and I am totally confused :(

The major issue is to find a good mechanic who knows what works and what doesn't for my RX135. The second one is where to source the parts from? Below are the things i Intend to change in the next 30 days. Budget is not an issue. I know there are lot of guys in Bangalore in this forum who has done this and would appreciate a couple of you to point me in the right direction and make that money well spent.

1. Replacing the fuel tank and side panels - Where can I buy these?
2. Replacing the rear shocks with Discover 135 endurance ones.
3. Replacing the headlight dome and the indicators
4. Replacing the front drum brakes with Pulsar fork and disc brake assembly - Any used ones that I can source?
5. New set of bolts
6. Wheels and Tyres - I now have 18 inches for front and the 16 inches for rear. Should I change the rear to 17 or 18? I feel that the bike is positioned low for my height and would like 17 or 18. but, I would also want a good broader tyres with sufficient road grip. Which tyres are the best and where can I buy them? I see a discussion on Michelin M45, not sure where is it available.
7. RDD CDI kit - IS this still available? I saw on RDDREAMS but couldn't figure out how to buy them. Can someone source it for me and point me to a mechanic who knows how to fit them. After reading through the forum, I definitely want one.
8. Speedometer - I don't like the stock one and would love to have the 2 circular consoles with the white dial. Where can i source it from?

Hope this is not OT and will appreciate any pointers to get my bike into one good looking beast. Help me in getting it to it's old glory with some new stuff.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 20:08   #557
BHPian

I have an Rx 135 with some piston slapping. I want to get it fixed and turn it into a dirt track bike. Anyone from Bangalore who has done this who can help/guide me?
sir_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:06   #558
BHPian

Wow, really wonderful thread and wonder how I managed to be away from such an informative passionate thread. It was on a rainy day back in October 2005 that my dad sold off my RX 100 and I could only helplessly watch it being taken away. 6 years and 2 months later, I just got a 21 year old 'baby' to roar again from my garage.

My recipe for an ideal day: Waking up on a lazy, silent winter morning, you sit by the side of a window, scratching head thinking of what to do next. You stare and stare and stare straight into the mist which covers everything. Then, your ears pick up a faint sound and your brain pulls you to the left, ears sharpening to the sound (rather music) of an engine ambling along at 35-40km/ hr, in 4th gear. The ear tracks it, slowly, the left ear orientation shifts to middle..middle, middle, middle..then to right, right right..like a slow motion. What can be that sound? A man cruising along in a bike thinking just like you? - thinking of what to do next while riding a bike? Then your right ear sharpens up, trying to keep track of the fading sound. You only hear the sound for some time. Which engine sounds so? Which bike gives you the feeling of being a King atop the royal stallion ambling along to checkup the welfare of people as the people make way for you with reverence and admire the pompousness of the horse that gives the King more pride.

Wasn't it the RX 100 that just passed by? Now, you get an idea of what to do next. Get up to your RX 100 in the garage, fire up the ignition, slowly release the clutch and begin the journey. Well, you wouldn't be needing anything else to do, but ride on and on and on

I got the 'ride of my life' back or rather, I got back my 'LIFE'. Its my 'JOY'

Joy..is when a certain passion known by the evocative alphanumeric name gets back home after many years

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1173-copy.jpg

21 years. Old is still gold and evergreen

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1192.jpg
Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:51   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Few Pics of my RX135 5-Speed

Adding a few pics of my RX135, 5-Speed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-4x4addictrx13501.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-4x4addictrx13502.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-4x4addictrx13506.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 14:55   #560
BHPian

Default Re: Few Pics of my RX135 5-Speed

Hey 4x4adict ! what speedometer and head light is it?
sir_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 15:19   #561
Senior - BHPian

LOoks like a roadking dome with a pulsar classic beam? Those meters are from the latest 05/06 RX135s.

Here's my RX:

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-img_20111127_134807_edit0.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 12:19   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post

1. Replacing the fuel tank and side panels - Where can I buy these?
2. Replacing the rear shocks with Discover 135 endurance ones.
3. Replacing the headlight dome and the indicators
4. Replacing the front drum brakes with Pulsar fork and disc brake assembly - Any used ones that I can source?
5. New set of bolts

Hope this is not OT and will appreciate any pointers to get my bike into one good looking beast. Help me in getting it to it's old glory with some new stuff.
Ive seen and driven a few yamahas with the pulsar front forks and disc set up, theyre not too encouraging and need a lil modification when set up. Look arond for a set up from the cbz , the older genertion one. better stopping is another thing ive experienced while riding bikes with the cbz parts.
khalil_khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 14:25   #563
BHPian

@sunnyboi I think yours is a big bore setup if I am not wrong.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 14:48   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@sunnyboi I think yours is a big bore setup if I am not wrong.
yes it is.

SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 00:27   #565
BHPian

Default Re: Few Pics of my RX135 5-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Adding a few pics of my RX135, 5-Speed.
Firstly, very nicely kept. I can eat off of the chrome. I have a question, what kind of a disc setup is that? And how much did it cost?
Chetanya Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 12:33   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_u View Post
Hey 4x4adict ! what speedometer and head light is it?
Speedo assembly is from the latest Yamaha RX135. Headlight is a Yezdi dome with Ambasador Grand reflector with 55/60 Halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma View Post
what kind of a disc setup is that? And how much did it cost?
Thanks. Disc set up is from Yamaha Gladiator. you need replace everything upto the T-Stem. Going prices in coimbatore/chennai are about 5 to six thousand for set, including tubes, fork, disk, wheel hub, etc...
Old 14th February 2012, 13:54   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Disc set up is from Yamaha Gladiator. you need replace everything upto the T-Stem. Going prices in coimbatore/chennai are about 5 to six thousand for set, including tubes, fork, disk, wheel hub, etc...
Actually you meant the used one correct?
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 13:57   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Actually you meant the used one correct?
Yes. Used ones. The problem is that even the used parts dealers have realized that there is need from RX owners for these forks and have pushed up the price. I got lucky as I new a person who was willing to swap out his front assembly with my drum brake assembly for a lower price.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:54   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Speedo assembly is from the latest Yamaha RX135.
Is that a direct fit to the 5 speed? Was there any bracketing required or it got fit without any mods ??
The Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:05   #570
BHPian

Is there any genuine source available at Chennai / coimbatore for RX 135 spares?

I am in need of the cylinder head of 1998 RX 135 4 speed.

Help please.
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote