Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st July 2008, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Apache Rtr Refresh - disk Problem

Hello fellow team-bhpians,
I just bought a Apache rtr 160 refresh in matt grey colour,
though it looks cool. but recently I have noticed that the front disk brakes dont allow the front wheel to move freely. ie. whenever I put the bike on centre stand and rotate the front wheel there is a light, very light noise from the front disk , like the brake pad is touching the disk, only slightly
This problem does not hamper the bikes braking ability .

The bike has completed 106 km and still makes this noise is it normal ?
Also what exactly will I have to do to cure this.

Thanks
Please reply ASAP
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 15:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
though it looks cool. but recently I have noticed that the front disk brakes dont allow the front wheel to move freely. ie. whenever I put the bike on centre stand and rotate the front wheel there is a light, very light noise from the front disk , like the brake pad is touching the disk, only slightly

Thanks
Please reply ASAP
hi congrats on the new bike. The issue that you have reported is quiet common in all bike with disc brakes. So don't worry this is not cause for concern.
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 15:20   #3
BHPian

It is normal. The pads touch the disk very lightly. This is intentional and is done to keep the disc free from rust and other unwanted matter like dirt.

P.S.: Congrats on the purchase. I didn't know they had changed the name too! Refresh.. hmm, could you post some photos of the bike.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Please reply ASAP
Dont worry a lot about it. My Suzuki Zeus has the same problem. Initially I thought of this as a problem. But later on found out that this is done to prevent the entry of dust and debris on to the disk. If the disk gets dirt and debris accumulated on it, then when the brake is applied, the life of pads will be reduced. This small amount of friction provided is a safer thing.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st July 2008 at 18:33.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is intentional, but in a different sort of way - Read, cheap to manufacture.

Howstuffworks.com has the lowdown on how floating and fixed caliper disc brakes work.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Ok thanks ...one more problem
the brake now fells kinda ineffective
what to do

PS:i had applied some coconut oil and wd40 on the disk as i thought it was a problem andI shall lubricate it to prevent further harm

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd July 2008 at 13:37. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed
rahulsingh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
what to do

PS:i had applied some coconut oil and wd40 on the disk as i thought it was a problem andI shall lubricate it to prevent further harm
It definitely is situation. Remove the oil the WD40 asap. Use soap solution, any detergent used for washing clothes will do. Just use some cloth to wipe the disk with the soap solution. Make sure that the solution is a little concentrated.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

what to do

PS:i had applied some coconut oil and wd40 on the disk as i thought it was a problem andI shall lubricate it to prevent further harm.
Some time before the fork oil leaked on my disk of Zeus. To clean the oil, I took some wheat flour and then cleaned the disk first with this and then applied detergent in very less quantity.

I also noted that the pads took some time to come back to their original friction level. It took a about a day's driving to bring back the original state of braking.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 13:33   #9
BHPian

Default Re: Apache Rtr Refresh - disk Problem

A new post after a long time!!

Its been close to 2 years since I bought my apache rtr (with rear disc).

Since 10 days, the effective-ness of rear brake has gone down drastically. A simple push-down does not slow down. I showed it to a road-side mechanic and he said that brake pads are fine but the oil-pump (i think) is leaking. Need to replace that. Also the cost quoted was around Rs.200. The oil pump wasnt leaking per se but on touching the bottom of the pump, the fingers became lil bit oily.

I took to service center and they said they'll need to bleed it and only then can the problem can be diagnosed.

I did not use my bike for 2 days and there's no visible oil leaking from oil-pump. My question is, what might be the problem and what's the max cost I should expect for repairs?
akhil_007 is offline   Reply With Quote