Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th August 2008, 11:19   #316
BHPian

Spotted a wine red R15...boy oh boy its a breath of fresh air compared to the Blue and Black options.

But, IMO the red could have been a shade brighter....would have looked superb then!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 22:37   #317
BHPian

The Yamaha India website now has an update with the red option. Looks good.

I'm now into 60 days on my black R15 and loving every bit of it. The vehicle is like Wine - keeps getting better with age. Keep an eye on the radiator fluid. No complaints so far, except that I'm yet to receive the RC book.
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 04:22   #318
BHPian

Angry dont let the thread die!!

Hey Yamaha R15 owners...

Let's not let this thread die..post some fresh pics/reviews and also some travelogues if possible...are you guys not taking the bike and going places?? i mean come on...
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 05:29   #319
Senior - BHPian

There are loads of them in the new showroom in Bombay. They seem to have come in just today.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 09:43   #320
BHPian

Good news R15 owners.
R15 mods are coming to dealers soon and it will be done officially along with their price.

Source:
Yamaha YZF R15 Performance Modifications Unleashed : Bikes Guru
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 10:25   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Good news R15 owners.
R15 mods are coming to dealers soon and it will be done officially along with their price.

Source:
Yamaha YZF R15 Performance Modifications Unleashed : Bikes Guru
Quote from the article:

Quote:
Yamaha is also planning to launch an array of accessories especially designed for the bike. Remember the Yamaha YZF R15 displayed at the Auto Expo? The the single seat cowl in addition to other goodies like a carbonfibre patterned tank protector pad, racing stand, an LED flasher set, rim stripe tape and other accessories will soon be available at Yamaha dealers across the country. Of course these don’t come cheap. The specially designed bar-ends cost over half a thousand while the billet clutch lever will retail for a grand. Pay more for the billet brake lever! If you are a Yamaha YZF R15 fan, we are sure you won’t mind shelling out the extra dough to further spice up the bike.
The Yamaha YZF R15, with a first in its class fuel injected liquid-cooled four valve 150CC engine offers class leading performance and outperforms all’ its rival on the track. We, howev.er, feel that the company should incorporate a few changes in the bike. The non-adjustable rear suspension, for example, is not acceptable for a bike that costs over a lakh. We would also like to see projector headlamps and tweaking of the ECU for a better low and midrange for city use. Our sources tell us that Yamaha might be working on these changes which will be incorporated into the production bike later this year or early 2009.
For those who think that even these changes are not good enough, performance ECUs are available for the bike in Indonesia. The chip will unleash the real animal within the bike. Yamaha is not going to introduce the performance add-on in India, but if you know someone in Indonesia, get one! be careful though, as your warranty is likely to be null and void the moment you start playing around with the bike’s electronics.
The articles talks more about accessorizing the R15 than any real performance mods!

The last line only talks about 'performance ECUs'. The R15 engine is derived from the Vixon in Indonesia which puts out 15ps, the R15 is already tuned much better and puts out 17ps. Plus the R15 is all new bike launched in india only, how can performance ECUs come up in Indonesia for this.

Ok, if we for the moment assume that such ECUs do exist, and one plugs it onto the R15....the bike will be pretty much unrideable, from such a small engine the more power you extract, more narrower the powerband will become. Already the power band is pretty small and one needs to ride with surgical precision to extract the max out of this.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 11:26   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as i know there is no aftermarket ECU for the Vixion or the R15. And they recently launched the Fi version of the Vixion there after they launched in India.

I can see only a set of jewelry being launched for the R1.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 16:28   #323
BHPian

Default Millage update

i got a millage of 36.6 kms/ltr on my 2 month old beauty, used Indian oil xtra premium this time.I think premium fuels suit the bike more, also the ride was much smoother on the premium fuel .

Note : 100% Bangalore rush hour traffic.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 05:11   #324
BHPian

Default My frist Ride report

Got my Red R15 yesterday rode about 80 kms

First Impressions
1: Excellent Road Grip
2: Excellent Brakes (Bike will not skidd even on wet muddy roads)
3: Great Looker truns heads of everyone
4: Was not able to check the milage yet
5: Seating position is very sporty
6: Bike is great in heavy traffic easily ficklable around corners
7: did not go above 4000rpm so cannot say about top speed yet

Only problem i found is the seating position is sporty but man my wrist hurts bad the entire body weight is on your wrist......Grip is very hard too so it really hurts bad after conitious drive

i would say.... not recomended for long tours untill you are comfortable with the riding position

Will post deatils report later..........

Have few Questions ????
Have anyone got a parking cover for R15 did not find it locally.....?
How is bikes performance under heavy rains..........?
dreamz_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 11:21   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz_mak View Post
Have few Questions ????
Have anyone got a parking cover for R15 did not find it locally.....?
How is bikes performance under heavy rains..........?
I did not buy the cover myself, but it is available in yamaha showrooms here in bangalore for 1500 Rs , if you do not find 1 specific to R 15 try the cover for avenger it fits well.

I have driven quite a lot in heavy rains the bike works like a charm, no problems whatsoever , grip is superb in wets also.Only problem is it catches mud a lot and chain gets dirty and needs to be lubricated.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:56   #326
BHPian

hey do post some pictures of your bike, we already have the black and blue on this thread, the red is missing, do post it soon.And congrats for the purchase.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:09   #327
BHPian

Hey does any one have bike sales details. i want to know how many R15's have been sold in comparison to P220/200 & ZMA.

Please update.
rajchetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 16:19   #328
BHPian

hey all nice to hear the good reviews from all R15 owners .. one thought here .. when ppl complain about the rear looks ...shouldnt there be an option to cut short the rear mud guard/tail ...???i think its too long for the height of the bike ...is there a showroom in Blore where they allow TD??
rejoycjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 18:30   #329
BANNED

Saw an R15 the other day - I think Yamaha has given a lot of thought to the RVMs, am sure they are actually useable without doing the chicken dance (as on the P220).
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 19:28   #330
BHPian

Got R15 cover from a Yamaha dealer for Rs 200 it is made of Umbrella material and covers the bike good

Can someone tell me about Chain maintaiance and lubrication any brand that i need to stick to
dreamz_mak is offline   Reply With Quote