Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th November 2008, 21:30   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
use Motul 300v or Agip fully synth. Shell synth is also good.
Any idea about the prices?
TARUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 23:44   #362
BHPian

I'm not sure if the ownership thread is the right thread to ask in , but here goes ( Sankar , Joel , hope you can help )

The R-15 has what they call DiaSil cylinder . Having no iron/steel sleeve, it cannot be rebored . What kind of life or duration can one expect of the DiaSil engine ? Especially considering that engine does depend on how hard it is run - the R-15 with its power higher up in the power band , an enthusiastic rider will keep the revs high for higher percentage of the engine's running time than say regular Indian fare . Without the option of a rebore , the cylinder block and maybe head might have to be replaced , so it would be a good idea to know how long it lasts and how much it costs .

Another thing , how do you run in the R-15 ? By the book , by Mototune or combination/mixture of both ? I ran in both my bikes using averaged form of Mototune + manufactuer's conservative guidlines and had no trouble with either bikes.

And does anyone know the output of the R-15 alternator ?

TIA,
R.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 02:47   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I'm not sure if the ownership thread is the right thread to ask in , but here goes ( Sankar , Joel , hope you can help )

The R-15 has what they call DiaSil cylinder . Having no iron/steel sleeve, it cannot be rebored . What kind of life or duration can one expect of the DiaSil engine ? Especially considering that engine does depend on how hard it is run - the R-15 with its power higher up in the power band , an enthusiastic rider will keep the revs high for higher percentage of the engine's running time than say regular Indian fare . Without the option of a rebore , the cylinder block and maybe head might have to be replaced , so it would be a good idea to know how long it lasts and how much it costs .

Another thing , how do you run in the R-15 ? By the book , by Mototune or combination/mixture of both ? I ran in both my bikes using averaged form of Mototune + manufactuer's conservative guidlines and had no trouble with either bikes.

And does anyone know the output of the R-15 alternator ?

TIA,
R.
The Diasil was developed in 2002
Yamaha Introduces the "DiASil Cylinder"

Quote:
Merits of the Yamaha "DiASil Cylinder"
(in comparison to cast steel liner type aluminum cylinders)
(1) 60% better cooling performance is possible
(2) 30% lower manufacturing cost is possible
(3) Excellent recyclability
(4) Enables 30% lighter design
(5) Easily transferred to overseas manufacturing bases
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 04:17   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can use 1st oversize piston and ring and then hone the bore when have excessive ring wear. After that you go to 2nd oversize. By the time you are done with 2nd oversize you would need a new bore but you can keep the same head. I dont think people actually put in a new liner everytime a new piston is required.

To give further life, some car companies like BMW and Porsche use Diasil type liners instead of making the whole block diasil.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th November 2008 at 04:20.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 11:02   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Ricci, the life of the Diasil cylinders should be very good and probably better than steel liners since Diasil cylinder surface is much harder than a regular steel liner. The heat transfer is also good which should promote longevity. Cylinder cannot be rebored and i doubt if Yamaha even have a 1st oversize piston for the Diasil bores. Not that the cylinder is diasil not just the surface of the bore!

I'm not sure about the costs.

Last edited by Sankar : 7th November 2008 at 11:15.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 18:43   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The R-15 has what they call DiaSil cylinder . Having no iron/steel sleeve, it cannot be rebored . What kind of life or duration can one expect of the DiaSil engine ?
Actually this would be a good question to ask Yamaha India. Ask the dealer or email YMIL.

The R15 is based on the Vixion engine so you can do some research on how they are handling the issue of top end rebuild. It has been in the market for a couple of years at least. (Indonesia)
Old 7th November 2008, 19:11   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You can use 1st oversize piston and ring and then hone the bore when have excessive ring wear. After that you go to 2nd oversize. By the time you are done with 2nd oversize you would need a new bore but you can keep the same head. I dont think people actually put in a new liner everytime a new piston is required.
Are u saying that u can simply hone the stock cylinder and just go for oversize piston/rings? On the R15, there is no Diasil liner. Its just a coating is barely 0.1mm thick.
Each time u want to rebore, u will need to get the DiaSil coating done from thailand. Its not hone and forget.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 00:13   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Actually this would be a good question to ask Yamaha India. Ask the dealer or email YMIL.

The R15 is based on the Vixion engine so you can do some research on how they are handling the issue of top end rebuild. It has been in the market for a couple of years at least. (Indonesia)
hmm, didn't know BMW & Porsche used diasil sleeves/liners .
I did ask this at the Yamaha dealer's but no luck. Dropped some q's off at their regional office on a piece of paper with my email ID - not received any mail yet. Their website doesn't have any link I found useful to ask up either . About the Vixion, it's is easier state of tune, but could be a good place to start.

Quote:
Are u saying that u can simply hone the stock cylinder and just go for oversize piston/rings? On the R15, there is no Diasil liner. Its just a coating is barely 0.1mm thick.
Each time u want to rebore, u will need to get the DiaSil coating done from thailand. Its not hone and forget.
It's only a thin coating ? The material/images shown depicts the entire block cast as once piece of Diasil . What you're suggesting sounds like it's electroplated or anodized.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:07   #369
BHPian

Quote:

It's only a thin coating ? The material/images shown depicts the entire block cast as once piece of Diasil . What you're suggesting sounds like it's electroplated or anodized.
Yup, its just a coating. The idea of DiaSil by Yamaha is to cut costs. To reduce the cost of sleeving and finishing barrels. Here, only the aluminium block has to be casted, inner surface machined and coated.
I've already stripped my engine and seen all this. However the cylinder coating feels like hard chrome. Will surely last longer than any other stock cast iron sleeve.
There are many coated cylinders by other manufacturers, but Yamaha adopts a different technique. However the process is similar to electroplating/anodizing.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 16:58   #370
BHPian

Default apprel

Yamaha has come out with a list of apparels R 1 5 specific check it out

YZF-R15 Apparels & Accessories
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 17:14   #371
BHPian

Nice, would definitely like to see some pics and awaiting further updates on your experience.
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 19:28   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, its just a coating. The idea of DiaSil by Yamaha is to cut costs. To reduce the cost of sleeving and finishing barrels. Here, only the aluminium block has to be casted, inner surface machined and coated.
I've already stripped my engine and seen all this. However the cylinder coating feels like hard chrome. Will surely last longer than any other stock cast iron sleeve.
There are many coated cylinders by other manufacturers, but Yamaha adopts a different technique. However the process is similar to electroplating/anodizing.
DiAsil stands for Die cast -Aluminum-Silicon and the whole cylinder is cast using this high-Si alloy. There is probably a thin coating for reducing friction but its not the coating 'that is doing the job of the liner' like in hard-chrome or nickel plating that has been used for 20 years on 2-stroke motocross bikes.
Old 14th November 2008, 23:57   #373
BHPian

Yup, pretty much what I thought ; coating takes on a very different meaning vs casting .

So then, what style of running in is recommended for such engines , the factory recommended slow one , or Mototune way ? I'm looking at an R-15 purchase later later this year/early next year , so info-gathering underway .
Old 14th December 2008, 09:16   #374
BHPian

Default New Bie

Hello all,

I am in an hurry. getting an R15 for my bro this christmas, but to say the truth i dont know anything abt 2-wheeler stuffs since i hate it for no reason . my bro got settled with R15 even though i didnt like it more over we r force to go for blue one while i like black which suits the bike better, bcoz of grown ups ppl in the family who rely on sentiment issues :( .

so comming to technical stuffs wht shld i look far.. ?i have been reading this thread fully.. but still here and there i coundnt get it correct. can any one throw light for this layman who is gonna get a R15?

wet clutch stuff, motul 300v or mobil 5 w ,
and i would like to to get it Teflon ed immediately. even though no one is doing tht in my area professionally. i wud get it done on my own. but i need some advice over it.. like which surfaces can be done and any technical jargon combination shld i look in to those ingredients of tht teflon can?

thanks in advance.
a.ashokdurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 17:04   #375
BHPian

Did any one participate in the Yamaha R15 Track Race day hosted by Yamaha here in Chennai?
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote