Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 11:14   #2281
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi Doc,

I've no regrets for the Icarus, I'm using it well. Rynox has a smarter fit! According to the specs online, the Asphalt seems to be a mesh jacket.

http://www.rynoxgears.com/index.php/...acket-162.html

@aargee, yes under the 10k band this is the only imported boots I found worth the buck. (apart from the closeout deals)

@sojogator, check out PRS facebook page. I think this is the only Rocket boots on offer apart from jackets & gloves.

BTW my ride:

Disclaimer: I've upgraded to Cramster Twister gloves. Doc, we have already discussed these Jungle boots, didn't get the DMS boots yet! Bike has got new seats.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img20141122wa0001.jpg  

surjaonwheelz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 11:10   #2282
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 644
Thanked: 1,140 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Got my wife the A* fabric Fending air jacket from AutoQueen in Cochin. Their variety of riding gear is wider than ever and it is encouraging to see that Keralites are investing in good riding gear.

Name:  jacket.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  7.2 KB
Style matters
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:42   #2283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

So I have been contemplating and procrastinating but it is high time I got myself a pair of boots for riding around the town and those occasional 200-300kms ride out of it, involving speeds that can damage the human anatomy beyond repair.

I have gone through the headache of checking the online reviews of hundreds of boots and I have shortlisted a couple that are available in India. Also, let me make it clear, I am looking for boots from reputed brands as the most damage during a low side is often to the foot.

1. A*s SMX3 - Half cut full size boots with good protection for lower foot and a little for the shin. Priced at around 15K. As per reviews, is comfortable to walk around, provides decent protection though it is not very stiff and performs decently in little bit of rain or heat. Would have to wear them to the office so has to be as discrete as possible but the ratchet system, if not covered by my trousers, would be shouting out for attention. CE rated is all I see in the spec sheet and no more details.

2. Dainese TR Course IN - Offers much more protection, obviously. Rossi wears Dainese IN design goes in pants with no issue. The lower part of the boot is less gaudy than the A*s. Quality is absolute top notch. But the main feature that has made it reach my final 2, in spite of its astronomical price tag, is the D axial system that saves the feet from hyper extension and thus, most probably, might protect from one of the worst possible foot injury, achilles. The price is in an altogether different zone at 24K. Let me be very clear that this purchase would make me feel like a cat in an open field in torrential rains for a few months to come. I am wondering if this would be an overkill for my use ? Or is it worth spending the fortune as a riding boot is a long time buy for safety, at least I think it is a one time buy for at least half a decade or so unless something gives.

Please suggest fellow riders. I would also be fine with any other reputed international brands that would provide with protection as well. Thanks in advance.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:52   #2284
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 1,358 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Please suggest fellow riders. I would also be fine with any other reputed international brands that would provide with protection as well. Thanks in advance.
Nothing beats SIDI; if I've more money, I would simply stop using my A* buy Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:01   #2285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Nothing beats SIDI; if I've more money, I would simply stop using my A* buy Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots
What about the discrete part ?
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:18   #2286
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 181
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

I picked up a TCX Airtec gore-tex boot from Highnoteperformance,its light weight ,comfortable ,great to walk etc, but not very high on the protection part .If your are looking for something discrete it fits the bill .
slalom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:24   #2287
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
What about the discrete part ?
I would suggest Alpinestars or Dainese. Or if you are willing to look beyond, at RST. I have the first and the third. Both the boots I have are pretty discreet. The Alpinestars one obviously has the sliders, but those can slide off. The big bold grey and white star logo would be hidden by your pants. Everything else is black. Keep them well polished, you could wear them to work. Though honestly, if your work involves walking as opposed to sitting in a chair, I would not waste the soles of these expensive boots and keep a set of formals at work. Even otherwise, full length boots the whole day can get really hot and sweaty (regardless of the venting or perforation).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:22   #2288
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I picked up a TCX Airtec gore-tex boot from Highnoteperformance,its light weight ,comfortable ,great to walk etc, but not very high on the protection part .If your are looking for something discrete it fits the bill .
Never knew about this store. This boot looks a great one. Surely goes right into my shortlist (and probably removes the SMX3). Thank you so much for the information. Do these bend at midway under pressure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would suggest Alpinestars or Dainese. Or if you are willing to look beyond, at RST. I have the first and the third. Both the boots I have are pretty discreet. The Alpinestars one obviously has the sliders, but those can slide off. The big bold grey and white star logo would be hidden by your pants. Everything else is black. Keep them well polished, you could wear them to work. Though honestly, if your work involves walking as opposed to sitting in a chair, I would not waste the soles of these expensive boots and keep a set of formals at work. Even otherwise, full length boots the whole day can get really hot and sweaty (regardless of the venting or perforation).
Dainese has everything and the oomph factor along with the price tag to scare the wits out of you !

RST is the brit brand. Isn't it ? Are they available locally too ?

Yes the A*s logos are always too gaudy and more suitable for the track than the work place. I am not sure how much my trousers would be able to hide those boots. I do not intend to have them all day for reasons you have pointed out of being extremely hot inside. But I would not want questions and looks at me during my walk from the parking to the desk. No walking involved post that. I will try the SMX3 and the TR Course by this week and decide soon after.

Keep the suggestions coming !
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:35   #2289
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Dainese has everything and the oomph factor along with the price tag to scare the wits out of you !
I've just got a Dainese gloves that were gifted to me. Plus papa wears Dainese. So it must be good.

Quote:
RST is the brit brand. Isn't it ? Are they available locally too ?
Yup Brit. Very nice stuff. But will have to import. Not seen anyone selling them here.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 19:23   #2290
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 181
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Do these bend at midway under pressure ?
R
I have used them for only 1k kms and they seem alright for now .
slalom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:04   #2291
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 617
Thanked: 531 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
So made the most of my recent trip to the states.

Got myself the Dainese Air 3 Textile Jacket and the Dainese Veloce Gloves.
I had ordered the New Drake Air textile pants too, but the size I ordered, was one size bigger. So I had to return it. The return process for Revzilla was super smooth. I didnt pay the return shipment fee too as they sent me the prepaid UPS label. Very happy with their customer experience. Will be going back to US again next week. Will get the pants again.

I have not yet ridden in the gear, but here are the initial thoughts.
Jackets is purely a summer riding jacket with tones of mesh and no inner liner. For that I have my current DSG Maze. Its very light weight and feels almost like wearing a regular jacket which I feel will help in wearing this all the time. The fit and finish is top notch. The gloves are awesome. I have shorter fingers so finding right gloves has always been a challenge. Thankfully these fit good and the quality is just amazing.

Price:
Jacket $189.
Gloves $150.
So I had the opportunity of visiting US again and this time I was able to get the right size for the Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants.

The Gear is complete now for street use.

The Riding Gear thread-img20150422wa0003.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img20150422wa0004.jpg

The list:
1) Bell Vortex Helmet and a Vega Helmet
2) Dainese Veloce Gloves & A* SMX2 Gloves
3) Daines Air-3 Textile Jacket & DSG Maze Riding Jacket
4) Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants
5) A* SMX5 boots

The wait for the bigger bike continues.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:48   #2292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 957
Thanked: 969 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Please suggest fellow riders. I would also be fine with any other reputed international brands that would provide with protection as well. Thanks in advance.
Sojogator mate I read your thread about your Kawasaki Z800 acquisition. It was an interesting read and showed your passion for motorcycles. I believe you must have paid close to 8.5 to 9 lakhs for this motorcycle in total. Now consider atleast 10% of that amount to buy good quality riding gears. I am sure that 10% can buy you riding gears of some of the most reputed brands suggested by people here. I follow this as a thumb rule when I go out to buy my riding gears. I believe one's body is much more important than the motorcycle itself. It is these if not life saving but limb saving good quality riding gears that help us to continue motorcycling in safety and peace of mind.

When it comes to good quality riding gears there are three Italian brands that first comes to my mind: AGV for Helmet, Dainese or Alpinestars for Riding Shoes, Dainese or Alpinestars for gloves, riding jacket, riding pants and/or knee-shin guards. You can buy Alpinestars from PlanetDSG showroom like we have in Bombay, I am not sure about Dainese but majority of high end motorcycle riding gear stores must be having them.

P.S. Investing atleast 10% of one's total motorcycle cost is my personal view and I am not trying to enforce it on you or anyone.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:40   #2293
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
The list:
1) Bell Vortex Helmet and a Vega Helmet
2) Dainese Veloce Gloves & A* SMX2 Gloves
3) Daines Air-3 Textile Jacket & DSG Maze Riding Jacket
4) Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants
5) A* SMX5 boots

The wait for the bigger bike continues.

Regards
Rachit
That's a very nice list Rachit. Add a Camelbak to that and you're set!
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:12   #2294
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
...
Now consider atleast 10% of that amount to buy good quality riding gears. I am sure that 10% can buy you riding gears of some of the most reputed brands suggested by people here. I follow this as a thumb rule when I go out to buy my riding gears. I believe one's body is much more important than the motorcycle itself. It is these if not life saving but limb saving good quality riding gears that help us to continue motorcycling in safety and peace of mind.
...
Advice much appreciated. Thanks for the mentioning the brands. Must say you have missed out one a few brilliant brands like SIDI though.

I have heard of this 10% rule and this does not make any sense to me. Would I spend only 3K if I were to get a second hand commuter for 30K ? Should I be spending 5 lac if I got myself a top of the line Harley ? Would it be fine if I threw away all the 10% at a helmet ?

Gear is for protection and I am all for it. If it is 50 degrees, would one wear a leather suit ? I think a rider has to be comfortable to ride safe and sound. And there is always a overkill. My query was whether going for a racing boot be overkill as I am not going racing and thus settle for a shorter boot. As I told, I mean to check them out soon, at the store.

Again, that is my opinion and I am not preaching it to anyone.

Dainese is sold solely by Dainese store in Bangalore, as far as I know.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:41   #2295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 957
Thanked: 969 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Advice much appreciated. Thanks for the mentioning the brands. Must say you have missed out one a few brilliant brands like SIDI though.
Thanks. I have heard of SIDI but as I said two names pop up immediately they are Alpinestars and Dainese.

Quote:
I have heard of this 10% rule and this does not make any sense to me. Would I spend only 3K if I were to get a second hand commuter for 30K ? Should I be spending 5 lac if I got myself a top of the line Harley ? Would it be fine if I threw away all the 10% at a helmet ?
Not to stretch this further as to each his own, but you must have read my post carefully paying attention to the fine print. I said "Atleast" 10% should be invested in good riding gears not just one riding gear like helmet or shoes. It is upto person to person to decide the limit. Also one should spend based on one's capacity and not blindly follow the 10% rule. We all are that much sensible aint we? To give you an example I have friends in office who commute by motorcycle and wear those cheap quality Rs.300-400 helmets. I asked them is your safety just worth 300 bucks. I asked them what is the cost of your motorcycle, they said about 45-50K. I said ok don't you think investing 5% of that total cost on your safety is important, helmet being the minimum gear. If I tell them about riding gloves, shoes, jacket, pant, knee-shin guards, etc. they will laugh at me. So I asked them to consider 5% for a decent quality helmet. Once they realize the benefit it offers, they too might upgrade who knows?

Quote:
Gear is for protection and I am all for it. If it is 50 degrees, would one wear a leather suit ? I think a rider has to be comfortable to ride safe and sound. And there is always a overkill. My query was whether going for a racing boot be overkill as I am not going racing and thus settle for a shorter boot. As I told, I mean to check them out soon, at the store.
Exactly that's why I have brought two set of riding gears, one for summer and one for winter and rain. I know not everyone can afford to keep two or three sets of riding gears for different seasons, but like you said comfort is also important. I read your query about riding boot only but was posting in general about riding gears as this is a riding gear thread. Apologies for quoting the wrong post.

Quote:
Again, that is my opinion and I am not preaching it to anyone.
Like I said to each his own. Ride hard and Ride safe.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks