Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 12:51   #2491
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 972 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Gentlemen, need suggestions on riding gloves - full leather, full gauntlet type.

If anyone has personal experiences with the DSG Primal gloves, please share them here. I plan to buy the gloves this weekend. Thanks.
Considered TBG gloves? Have heard good reviews about them, but its a bit expensive than DSG and Spartan I think.

My DSG Revive gloves has been serving me good for the past 3 years in everyday use and is still holding good with only minor discoloration due to exposure to sun and rain! But is the Primal having sliders(Not sure if its the technical term) on the palm area? Have personally tried Spartan and TBG gloves and felt that both are very comfortable as there are no protruding seams inside the gloves that will give sore pressure points. Not sure how it is in Primal though.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 14th July 2015 at 12:56.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 13:57   #2492
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Considered TBG gloves? Have heard good reviews about them, but its a bit expensive than DSG and Spartan I think.

My DSG Revive gloves has been serving me good for the past 3 years in everyday use and is still holding good with only minor discoloration due to exposure to sun and rain! But is the Primal having sliders(Not sure if its the technical term) on the palm area? Have personally tried Spartan and TBG gloves and felt that both are very comfortable as there are no protruding seams inside the gloves that will give sore pressure points. Not sure how it is in Primal though.
Thank you for your response. From the recent posts on this thread, I understand TBG gloves are more expensive (around 4k or more) but the leather is thicker than other brands.

I'll check it out soon.

However, not all brands fit me well enough since my fingers are small and my palms are slightly big and chunky. Only DSG and Spartan seem to fit "like a glove".
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 14:08   #2493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thank you for your response. From the recent posts on this thread, I understand TBG gloves are more expensive (around 4k or more) but the leather is thicker than other brands.

I'll check it out soon.
Just not the leather. The protection is unprecedented in any glove from an Indian manufacturer. Knox SPS & metal wrist slider being the USPs in my opinion. The leather feels broken in right from the word go too.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:33   #2494
Senior - BHPian
 
Urban_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,208
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thank you for your response. From the recent posts on this thread, I understand TBG gloves are more expensive (around 4k or more) but the leather is thicker than other brands.

I'll check it out soon.

However, not all brands fit me well enough since my fingers are small and my palms are slightly big and chunky. Only DSG and Spartan seem to fit "like a glove".
Totally agree with Sojo & M.O.S. here!! I havent used TBG gloves, but a friend and a fellow member (Aditya Bharadwaj) is using these gloves and has nothing but praise for them. You may want to PM him for a first hand update

The game has moved on from DSG I think. I have the Primal and while its an Ok glove, here are my gripes:

- Expensive for what it is
- I had a lowside crash over a year ago in them. 40 - 50 KMPH. The gloves held up fine, but there was a good deal of visible abrasion on the palm. High speed crashes - not sure how this would hold up. I would invest in something more protective
- The velcro has basically lost all its stickyness

I too would recommend forking out a little extra cash for a lot more protection
Urban_Nomad is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:47   #2495
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I shall check out the TBG gloves soon.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 18:27   #2496
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,527
Thanked: 1,135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I shall check out the TBG gloves soon.
Go for the TBG full gauntlet gloves Aditya. Have been using them for past 8 months on my daily ride to office and they are excellent gloves. Pricey at 4400 but they are well built with good protection
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 18:42   #2497
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 102
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
I wrote reviews on their website and kinda copy pasting the text here for anyone interested. I didn't find a lot of people getting joe rocket and tourmaster and reviewing them on team bhp.
Hey thanks!
I faced same scenario when I purchased from Motorcyclegear.com I recently got the Joe Rocket Sonic R WP boots. Sizing was a concern but I emailed them with my concern and they promptly replied. I got the US Size 8 which is UK 7 and Euro 41 on paper but fits me perfectly. Yet to take it for spin!

American fit/sizes are bigger for most of us so no matter how fat, tall or heavy we are there is no need to order a plus size than measured.

These are a steal deal as even after conversion I got my boots for less than half the price for what it's available at Performance Store, Mumbai.

-Ride safe

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 14th July 2015 at 18:45.
surjaonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 17:16   #2498
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

This may have been shared earlier. Found this extremely useful:

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/91.html
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 09:28   #2499
BHPian
 
nitrogary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 129
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hey thanks!
I faced same scenario when I purchased from Motorcyclegear.com I recently got the Joe Rocket Sonic R WP boots. Sizing was a concern but I emailed them with my concern and they promptly replied. I got the US Size 8 which is UK 7 and Euro 41 on paper but fits me perfectly. Yet to take it for spin!

American fit/sizes are bigger for most of us so no matter how fat, tall or heavy we are there is no need to order a plus size than measured.

These are a steal deal as even after conversion I got my boots for less than half the price for what it's available at Performance Store, Mumbai.

-Ride safe
Suraj,

You are correct. My first jacket - a joe rocket yamaha branded textile is xl size and its really big for me. i wear xl t shirts here and was too apprehensive about ordering the size measured. Should have gone with L.
I was using it on the Triumph, but somehow it didn't feel right . so i ll use that one when riding my Yamahas. The mesh construction is super perfect for india. I was riding back from work yesterday and it had just rained. I was feeling kinda cold in them while doing 80-100 on the highway.

Regarding your waterproof shoes - I ll give an input. I have been using cortech latigo waterproof shoes for maybe 2 years now. Not too many miles on them, but enough to get an idea. They are similar to what you have got in JR. They don't breathe at all mate! The way they don't allow water inside, they don't let anything outside too. So sweat in summers or humid conditions makes it uncomfortable. Also if you are riding a bike which needs frequent shifting, one suggestion I d give is to move around the footpeg / shifter location to accommodate the extra size of the boot. This is to ensure the natural shape of the boot is when in your riding posture, it comes just under the shifter, ready for a shift. Otherwise, you ll spend effort keeping the boot stretched. Something we don't realize while riding, but if you do over 100 kms, it can become a bother.
I can post a review of my other riding gear too - will do that sometime soon.

thanks
nitrogary is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 12:01   #2500
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 102
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Regarding your waterproof shoes - I ll give an input. I have been using cortech latigo waterproof shoes for maybe 2 years now. Not too many miles on them, but enough to get an idea. They are similar to what you have got in JR. They don't breathe at all mate! The way they don't allow water inside, they don't let anything outside too. So sweat in summers or humid conditions makes it uncomfortable. Also if you are riding a bike which needs frequent shifting, one suggestion I d give is to move around the footpeg / shifter location to accommodate the extra size of the boot. This is to ensure the natural shape of the boot is when in your riding posture, it comes just under the shifter, ready for a shift. Otherwise, you ll spend effort keeping the boot stretched. Something we don't realize while riding, but if you do over 100 kms, it can become a bother.
I can post a review of my other riding gear too - will do that sometime soon.
Thanks Mate!
Actually I figured that out, that no matter how much they say its breathable its not! Otherwise the construction is nice and the feel of the leather and finishing is super impressive as my first riding boots. As Pune has a moderate climate hope to use it as much as possible. Also this is my first imported riding gear - lessons learnt! The fact that it was at 89$ with my size available, I thought why not go for an additional feature of being waterproof!

Regarding shifting, as I use an Enfield CL350, I don't use the toe-shifter (the ball of the foot & heel). Regarding riding position, I'll update you with a short breakfast ride this weekend but normally I sit straight up.

I wanted the TCX boots but my size was not available in a closeout deal.

Also, review of my ICON Compund Mesh Long gloves is pending!

RideSafe

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 16th July 2015 at 12:13.
surjaonwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 13:46   #2501
BHPian
 
farhadtarapore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 221
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Is there any list of websites or shops in Mumbai where such gear is available? Thanks in advance.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2015, 15:58   #2502
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 102
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Yes,

http://performanceracing.in/

http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.php

http://www.rynoxgears.com/

http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Moto101Mumbai

Need more?
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 14:15   #2503
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi Guys,

Need inputs on ASPIDA Odysseus touring pants. I was initially thinking of getting knee pads but I usually am looking for long rides and not the short commute to work. I felt additional 3-4k will get me a decent riding pant and hence looking for it. I have read a few posts with inputs on this and looks to be a decent choice for once in a month or two long rides. Please let me know your inputs, I have never used knee guards or riding pants before (jut got lucky not to have any falls so far, will get myself covered for future rides).

I've been using my cramster meteor (out of production for more than few years now) and is holding well, gives good protection. I don't have a rain liner for this jacket. Although it protects from low intensity showers well, water will slowly make it in a poring rain. Is there a way I can get just the rain liner? somewhere from JC road (Bangalore) kind of places? Please let me know. I have had a look at the ASPIDA Helios and one category lower than that which comes with the rain liner, let me know if its a good choice! but I'll prefer to get a rain liner and stick to my crmaster to save cost for a new jacket.
Thank you.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 15:53   #2504
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 206 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Are riding pants not popular in India? Do not see many riders (at least in Chennai) using them, I see most use jeans. Maybe they use the armored jeans which looks like regular jeans.

For crash experiences, I read the hips are the first to get hit and then the back, shoulders, elbows, arms and so on.

This may have been shared earlier. If any of your friends or relatives need any motivation or have hesitation in investing on good gear, please show them this vblogger's page. Looks like he specializes in crash videos. You can see most riders walk away without any "apparent" injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7A2492C0B9CBFF

Check this out:




Last edited by mail4ajo : 21st July 2015 at 16:21.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 17:21   #2505
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,295
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Need inputs on ASPIDA Odysseus touring pants...
I have one and have been using it for nearly 15 months now. This is my touring pant and has seen around 5000kms of touring. Since this is NOT a mesh riding pant but a cordura one with vents, it does get pretty hot in B2B traffic but once on the move, you dont notice the heat much. Has good CE rated protection for the knee & dual density foam protection for the hips. Pretty decent for the price.
Only issue i had was with the knee protectors bruising my knee real bad though I got the size that fit me perfectly. @ebonho mentioned a few pages ago that this will be due to a height/waist mismatch or some such causing the knee protector to bruise the knee. I use a sports knee guard to prevent the bruising and it has been smooth sailing after that.
Pretty good rain liner but water does get in after maybe an hour of heavy rain riding. Don't think there is much you can do about this.
Apart from that, I have done 1 day 600kms rides where i had to spend 4 hours walking around in the pants in the city and managed to get through without feeling uncomfortable. All in all it will be a good buy. Have a look at the Aspida Mesh riding pant as well (forget the name). Good for our conditions and that also comes with a rain liner.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks