Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 19:15   #2716
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
While I went to get my Kranos from SPG dealer in Kochi (DJ Helmets) yesterday, checked out mesh jackets from Aspida and Rynox family.

Hi Jacob,

Hope you have not purchased one till now. If so, some inputs which might be helpful to you. Have been using Spartan Helios (now Aspida) for almost 3 - 3.5 yr's for my daily office commute and rides. It is well suited for day to day commute and occasional long drives, the mesh will ensure that you get sufficient airflow during the city/long drive. Now for Bengaluru climate its fine to use the rain liner for normal day to day city ride, but in Kochi I bet it will be more sweaty and hot and you might end up detaching the liner and using only the Jacket.

The rain liner will protect from mild rains, but then it's not full protection, water will still reach through the collar area during mild to heavy rains. Rain liner will also protect you from the cold breeze and to a great extent for hill station Rides or for cold mornings. On the quality, I had two fall at low speed, the armor did protect my shoulder and the elbow, and the Cordura material didnít have any sign of the fall. I feel the product is total VFM.

I can't comment on the other two, as have not used them.

Do wear the jacket, position yourself on TB and see how comfortable it is in the riding position, before going for any brand - Aspida or Rynox or any other brand . And by the way congrats for the new ride and happy thumping .

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 10:39   #2717
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Hi Jacob,
Hope you have not purchased one till now. If so, some inputs which might be helpful to you. Have been using Spartan Helios (now Aspida) for almost 3 - 3.5 yr's for my daily office commute and rides. It is well suited for day to day commute and occasional long drives, the mesh will ensure that you get sufficient airflow during the city/long drive.
You pitched in at right time as I am planning to visit them over this weekend if new stock arrives. Glad to know you have been using them for so long. How is its condition now? I mean how long more do you think you can use it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
The rain liner will protect from mild rains, but then it's not full protection, water will still reach through the collar area during mild to heavy rains. Rain liner will also protect you from the cold breeze and to a great extent for hill station Rides or for cold mornings.
That is a good input since it rains for most part of the year in Kerala. So while using a Cordura based mesh jackets for longer rides, I should also carry an inexpensive rain jacket which can be worn over them when it rains.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Now for Bengaluru climate its fine to use the rain liner for normal day to day city ride, but in Kochi I bet it will be more sweaty and hot and you might end up detaching the liner and using only the Jacket.
Yes, I have to remove all liners to match the weather here. Thermal lining is never required here unless riding to hill stations in early morn or late eve. Rain liner also doubtful as per the earlier comment.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
On the quality, I had two fall at low speed, the armor did protect my shoulder and the elbow, and the Cordura material didnít have any sign of the fall. I feel the product is total VFM.
Oh my god. Glad to hear you were safe. Yes, I liked Helios the most but price has gone up now and hence considering the close brother Nemesis as my first riding jacket. But when I visit them, I would once again try Helios


Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I can't comment on the other two, as have not used them.

Do wear the jacket, position yourself on TB and see how comfortable it is in the riding position, before going for any brand - Aspida or Rynox or any other brand. And by the way congrats for the new ride and happy thumping
Yes that's the main reason I am not very keen on saving bucks through online buy for the Jacket. While trying them, I realized the importance of a well fit one with armors in right position.

Thanks Man. Its long since we met. Buzz me once you are in town next time.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 19:58   #2718
BHPian
 
Milestone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bang Bang !!!
Posts: 103
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
How is its condition now? I mean how long more do you think you can use it.
The condition is fine and positively it can go on for another 2 yrs. The only problem I had was the Velcro straps at the wrists, they don't stick any more. Color of the Cordura material has faded with time, and is looks dull now, night reflectors are still doing their job, armors are still fine. After using it daily for approx. for 40 ~ 60 km ride, the Armor (hard & rubbery as it was, haven't done any stress test though ), stitches, liner, zips en all are still holding good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
That is a good input since it rains for most part of the year in Kerala. So while using a Cordura based mesh jackets for longer rides, I should also carry an inexpensive rain jacket which can be worn over them when it rains.
Exactly, thatís what I'm doing now, have one (rain jacket + pants). But wearing it on top of the riding jacket is little difficult, should go for one size plus than your actual fit, specially the shoulder and the elbow fits tight and becomes little difficult to hold the handlebar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yes, I have to remove all liners to match the weather here....

Yes that's the main reason I am not very keen on saving bucks through online buy for the Jacket. While trying them, I realized the importance of a well fit one with armors in right position.

Thanks Man. Its long since we met. Buzz me once you are in town next time.
You can consider Nemesis , as it ticks all the requirements.


Sure will catch up next time I'm around the city. Do keep posted with the purchase.

Cheers!!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 23:41   #2719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 74
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Guys any words on the dsg maverick? I'm into the look of the jacket. Looks pretty good but I am concerned about the polyester material..is cordura a polyester as well? Please allay my doubts.. Uploading a picture for some contemplation.
Attached Images
  
Kameshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 09:43   #2720
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Guys any words on the dsg maverick? I'm into the look of the jacket. Looks pretty good but I am concerned about the polyester material..is cordura a polyester as well? Please allay my doubts.. Uploading a picture for some contemplation.
Kameshwar mate this is an ADV tourer jacket which is longer and heavier than regular riding jackets. I am not a fabric expert but from what I know Cordura is a the choice of material when it comes to textile riding jackets. Like polyester the Cordura material is a textile fabric and is a standard fabric used in making motorcycle riding jackets and pants by many manufacturers.

If you are into ADV touring then the above jacket makes sense, but if you want to use it for your regular rides this will be an overkill. The reason being you are spending close to 8.5K to buy this jacket moreover you will feel super hot inside like a baking oven while doing casual rides. From what it looks it does not have any mesh panels which is a must in a tropical country like ours. I have two riding jackets one is a pure cordura riding jacket which I wear only during chilling winters and another one is a mesh jacket which is use for summer and rains. Believe me mate the comfort a mesh jacket provides in terms of ventilation and breathability your skin/body will thank you.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 10:29   #2721
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 74
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

^^mind = changed. Thanks navin_v8. I think I'll stick with the mesh ones for regular use, I have to get one ASAP coz I can't be riding the Duke without jacket protection anymore. If that ladakh ride happens this one will go into the mix of options.
Kameshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 23:35   #2722
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oslo, Bangalore
Posts: 1,776
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

Hope whoever has ridden out for the weekend had made it back safely home.

I am seriously considering the Rev it airwaves jacket pant combo as my first riding suit on a 390. I am thinking in winter just suit up with ski thermals from decathlon, and during the rains carry external forclaz 300 rainwear and be done with it. Fiddling with these liners is just not my thing. The set is costing me round about 29,500. Pricey?

Does this make sense? I am torn between the Rev it jacket and the tbg jacket.

And yes, I have to buy the back protector too which will set me back by a couple grand.

I am in Delhi for a visit , so I walked down to high note performance and tried them on. Just the jacket, they don't have the pants in my size. Going back again tomorrow for a close look.

Does the Rev it really have a rev over the tbg? I haven't tried on the tbg yet. Does the tbg come with zipper on the torso to go with a riding pant?

What would you buy in my position considering you have 30+k for just a jacket and pants?

Lastly, is rev it retailed in Bangalore? Where?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:34   #2723
BHPian
 
Dodge_Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vashi
Posts: 446
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.rideonair.in/

It's like a seat cushion filled with air. During this weekend's ride when we had stopped for tea break, saw a Harley guy using this.
Dodge_Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:05   #2724
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 537
Thanked: 635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.rideonair.in/

It's like a seat cushion filled with air. During this weekend's ride when we had stopped for tea break, saw a Harley guy using this.
Looks like a Make in India version of the Airhawk. The Airhawk is awesome so if it's a perfect copy, it should be awesome too. Although the website seems to be down for me, so relying on the cached version.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:40   #2725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 74
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Is this helpful? I guess it is the same product..

Kameshwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 23:25   #2726
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 537
Thanked: 635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Is this helpful? I guess it is the same product..
Yup. The Airhawk is amazing. You really need to ride 800 km for 3 days straight to figure out what I'm talking about.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd February 2016 at 23:29. Reason: Please do not quote videos, images when replying to a post. Thanks!
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 17:30   #2727
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,388
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

While I was waiting for SPG stocks to pick the right size for me, visited Auto Queen as well to check what they have got.

They had AlpineStars, Rjays, Cramster and Tarmac. Tried all except the first since it was way above my budget. Here's my initial impression.

Tarmac looked worth every penny. Armors are well placed and perfect fit. Starting @6K INR, its a choice.

Rjays felt good in terms of quality but somehow i was not feeling very comfortable while wearing it, may be due to the elbows which felt loose even after adjusting.

Cramster breezer did not appeal to me from the quality angle though it was in my budget range.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 11:22   #2728
BHPian
 
sanjbmw2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hello Folks,

Tried searching this thread for information on ear plugs, couldn't find any.

1) Is anyone using earplugs - city ride and long distance rides
2) If yes to 1, which brand and type of earplugs
3) Is there a substantial difference in the wind noise levels?
4) Would they be recommended?

The reason is I have a Vega Axor helmet and the wind howl is loud - looking at ear plugs to reduce this without too much compromise on hearing the usual road noise
sanjbmw2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 12:07   #2729
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 181
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

I'm using the 3M 1110 corded Foam ear plugs from Amazon.in , cheap and good.
I have the MT blade helmet and coupled with this ear plugs it's great ,use it all the time ,you dont even know that you are wearing one .
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 12:51   #2730
BHPian
 
sanjbmw2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I'm using the 3M 1110 corded Foam ear plugs from Amazon.in , cheap and good.
I have the MT blade helmet and coupled with this ear plugs it's great ,use it all the time ,you dont even know that you are wearing one .
Thank you.

How long does a single pair last?

Secondly - How is the blade helmet in terms of comfort and wind howl levels.
My axor is bearable till 55kph after that it seems like I'm in tornado. Tried to cover all the vents but to no avail.
sanjbmw2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks