Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th July 2017, 20:49   #3046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
I'm using the SPG Ares for more than two years now. It's a fairly comfortable glove out of the box. The leather is not hard. Had two minor crashes with it. Still going strong

How are they for daily city riding? My commute is 30minutes of riding with a mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic and open stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The price difference isn't too much, thankfully.

The full gauntlets just come with added protection on the inside of the wrist. I don't think that should any cause any inconvenience.

Also, I like the service of SPG. I recently broke the zipper on my Icarus jacket 2 years after using it daily.

I e-mailed them and they shipped me a new one for no cost at all.

Wow! That sounds amazing.
So I am leaning towards the SPG Ares now. Will update once I get my hands on/in them.
shyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 22:22   #3047
BHPian

Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
How are they for daily city riding? My commute is 30minutes of riding with a mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic and open stretches
Comfortable for a full gauntlet. I use it daily for commuting purposes. It doesn't get too hot inside. Took me only a couple of days to get used to it when it was new
b16h22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:14   #3048
BHPian

Hi All, just picked up a Dominor 400 and need help with riding gear which are as follows:
1. Options for jackets, purpose touring and leaisure rides. Budget 5-6k. Is spartan a good choice?
2. Helmet, budget around 5-6k requirement full face. Heard some bad reviews about MT so please suggest.
3. Knee guards for Highway and long rides, budget 1k, is fox a good option?
4. Gloves, would prefer something comfortable with protection, budget 2-3k

Note: I am 5'9", middle aged and this is my first bike. So suggest accordingly.
e4gleeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 00:29   #3049
BHPian

Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4gleeyez View Post
Hi All, just picked up a Dominor 400 and need help with riding gear which are as follows:
1. Options for jackets, purpose touring and leaisure rides. Budget 5-6k. Is spartan a good choice?
2. Helmet, budget around 5-6k requirement full face. Heard some bad reviews about MT so please suggest.
3. Knee guards for Highway and long rides, budget 1k, is fox a good option?
4. Gloves, would prefer something comfortable with protection, budget 2-3k

Note: I am 5'9", middle aged and this is my first bike. So suggest accordingly.
1. Spartan Pro gear, TBG, Rynox, Cramster (have read some average reviews on the last one of late) are all options at the entry level. All of them import the armour (the most critical part) and get the textile and mesh jacket stitched in India or from our neighborhood. Ensure they have shoulder, knee and back protection at the very least and are CE rated. You may have to stretch your budget by about 2k to get decent options within the entry level bracket. Do try before buying and ensure they are a snug fit (i.e. not too loose) Folks in GGN/Del can suggest local stores.

2. I use a SOL which was about 6.5 k and am pretty happy with the fit. It is a tad noisy but am used to it. I know folks who use MT and haven't heard any complaints.

3. I suggest riding pants which come with knee and hip armor and are made of heavy duty textile. Riding denims are also available with the same level of protection. The range starts from 7k onwards. Else you can settle for knee guards, IIRC Spartan has options at around 4k. IMO riding pants 'integrate' better with your overall riding gear. Any of these are far better than the el cheapo knee guards which retail for about a grand and can do more harm than good.

4. Wider range of options in gloves. I use TBG Street which is leather and has knox armour. They have been to Spiti from Bangalore and back and a number of heavy duty rain soaked rides and are holding up well. I would suggest full gauntlet ones for better protection.

You have not mentioned footwear and boots are as critical as any of the rest. Riding boots can be quite expensive and you have a wide range to choose from. I have been using a pair of ankle length Lee Cooper leather boots, however they are not purpose built for riding. If your budget is pressed, ensure you have knee length leather at least. The army surplus stores at Sadar bazaar have some decent ankle length leather boots.

P.S - High Note Performance is a reputed MC gear retailer in Delhi, worth dropping in. Royal Enfield has a range of riding gear which are supposed to be pretty good and competitively priced.

Last edited by hothatchaway : 3rd August 2017 at 00:31.
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 23:09   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
1. Spartan Pro gear, TBG, Rynox, Cramster (have read some average reviews on the last one of late) are all options at the entry level. All of them import the armour (the most critical part) and get the textile and mesh jacket stitched in India or from our neighborhood. Ensure they have shoulder, knee and back protection at the very least and are CE rated. You may have to stretch your budget by about 2k to get decent options within the entry level bracket. Do try before buying and ensure they are a snug fit (i.e. not too loose) Folks in GGN/Del can suggest local stores.

2. I use a SOL which was about 6.5 k and am pretty happy with the fit. It is a tad noisy but am used to it. I know folks who use MT and haven't heard any complaints.

4. Wider range of options in gloves. I use TBG Street which is leather and has knox armour. They have been to Spiti from Bangalore and back and a number of heavy duty rain soaked rides and are holding up well. I would suggest full gauntlet ones for better protection.
An update I know the feedback was average on cramster but apparently I ended up purchasing a Cramster K2K 2.0 Enduro touring jacket alongwith twister touring gloves. To me the jacket felt heavy and came with all the bells and whistles like CE approved armour, thermal, lot of pockets so sealed the deal.
Thanks for all the help will update on the quality post 3-4months usage
e4gleeyez is offline   Reply With Quote