Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 18:03   #451
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Shimla
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@RT13

I have the Jett 2 jacket and so far I am a happy customer.The reason I bought it was that it was the first time I was buying a riding jacket and I didn't want to invest a larger amount.At the price ( closeout 64$ on newenough),it is absolutely unbeatable.Its got all the features one should look for in a riding jacket.And it is 100% waterproof.I have tested it many times in the heavy downpours of Shimla.However the thing with riding jackets is that the waterproofing doesn't last forever.

But since you are looking for something for warmer weather,let me tell you that this can get really hot.I have ridden in upto 30 degrees without much trouble,but above that I think it would be uncomfortable.
For cold temperatures,it is great(with the warm liner)

Last edited by bhasma : 25th October 2010 at 18:06.
bhasma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 20:42   #452
BHPian
 
degenr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
My bro is coming down from the US so I thought I'd buy a riding jacket online and he could bring it down for me.

Found this site which seems to offer good deals - New Enough sells motorcycle jackets, helmets, gloves, luggage, tires, parts, etc. :: New Enough

My question is which jacket is a better buy?

The Joe Rocket 3.0 - Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

or


The Tour Master Jett Series 2 - Tour Master Jett Series 2 Textile Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough

If anybody has any other suggestions for a jacket that is a good deal (read under 100 dollars) and can be used in warm weather as well please do let me know.

Any other sites offering good deals would also be welcome.

Thanks.

Cheers

Rahul
I have both the jackets bought them from newenough .


Quality and look wise Joe Rocket is better.


Tour Master Jett comes with thermal and its water resistant. Does keep you dry in light/mild rains. Heavy rain does a ok job.
This jacket is for cold weather. I tried use in the city(Bangalore after 6pm ) was a bad experience . Never used it in city after that, I use this only for long rides.


The Joe Rocket 3.0 is nice textile jacket, ventilating of the jacket is good. The jacket does not come with thermal or waterproof liner . Its not very effective in cold weather. Its very comfortable for early morning or late evening city rides (Bangalore) . Mid day it keeps the heat away when you r riding but you get soaked in sweat in traffic signals/ traffic jams



Armor again JR is better shoulder and elbow.


Tour Master Jett has a better back protector.


My shirt size is 39-40 . I have Joe rocket size M which ended up being Big . Tour Master Jett Size S was just right.


Now I use Joe rocket Reactor 2.0 jacket size S its snug fit jacket. For everyday use this is the best, I got it for 220$ including shipping from new enough.



I am planning to buy the The Joe Rocket 3.0 size S again simply because I the looks of the jacket . I am selling my JR size M to a fellow rider for cost prize 68$



Hope this helps
degenr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 16:26   #453
BHPian
 
RT13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 71
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasma View Post
@RT13

I have the Jett 2 jacket and so far I am a happy customer.The reason I bought it was that it was the first time I was buying a riding jacket and I didn't want to invest a larger amount.At the price ( closeout 64$ on newenough),it is absolutely unbeatable.Its got all the features one should look for in a riding jacket.And it is 100% waterproof.I have tested it many times in the heavy downpours of Shimla.However the thing with riding jackets is that the waterproofing doesn't last forever.

But since you are looking for something for warmer weather,let me tell you that this can get really hot.I have ridden in upto 30 degrees without much trouble,but above that I think it would be uncomfortable.
For cold temperatures,it is great(with the warm liner)
Thats great info man. Thanks a ton! Yeah, considering I'm in Bangalore I think I'm looking at something thats considerably better for warm climates. I'd need to head a 1000 kms north to really use a winter jacket But thanks for the detailed info. It told me exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by degenr8 View Post
I have both the jackets bought them from newenough .


Quality and look wise Joe Rocket is better.


Tour Master Jett comes with thermal and its water resistant. Does keep you dry in light/mild rains. Heavy rain does a ok job.
This jacket is for cold weather. I tried use in the city(Bangalore after 6pm ) was a bad experience . Never used it in city after that, I use this only for long rides.


The Joe Rocket 3.0 is nice textile jacket, ventilating of the jacket is good. The jacket does not come with thermal or waterproof liner . Its not very effective in cold weather. Its very comfortable for early morning or late evening city rides (Bangalore) . Mid day it keeps the heat away when you r riding but you get soaked in sweat in traffic signals/ traffic jams



Armor again JR is better shoulder and elbow.


Tour Master Jett has a better back protector.


My shirt size is 39-40 . I have Joe rocket size M which ended up being Big . Tour Master Jett Size S was just right.


Now I use Joe rocket Reactor 2.0 jacket size S its snug fit jacket. For everyday use this is the best, I got it for 220$ including shipping from new enough.



I am planning to buy the The Joe Rocket 3.0 size S again simply because I the looks of the jacket . I am selling my JR size M to a fellow rider for cost prize 68$



Hope this helps
This CERTAINLy helps. Thanks a lot! I think the Joe Rocket is what I'm looking for then. I can always wear it with a fleece lining which will improve warmth I suppose.

Thanks a lot guys!

Cheers

Rahul
RT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 16:38   #454
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default

This might help those who are interested in picking up some riding gear at discounted prices.

Check out PlanetDSG : Motorcycle Riding Gear, Accessories, Apparel and.. and click on the "On Sale" tab.

There are a whole host of products on sale (runs into 15 pages).

Quite a good deal. AFAIK, the discounted prices are valid for in-store purchases and purchases made online. Not valid at dealer stores.

Here is the link. PlanetDSG : Motorcycle Riding Gear, Accessories, Apparel and more...

Happy shopping.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 14:02   #455
BHPian
 
Cayman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 21 Times
Default DSG Falcon Jacket

Hi, how would the DSG Falcon jacket be for city riding? Its water resistant, so good for the monsoons. But how would it be for summer riding?

Also, is the protection decent enough for occasional touring of short distances?



DSG Falcon Jacket DSG Falcon Jacket Black - Rs3,790.00



Attached Images
 
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 21:43   #456
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Hi, how would the DSG Falcon jacket be for city riding? Its water resistant, so good for the monsoons. But how would it be for summer riding?

Also, is the protection decent enough for occasional touring of short distances?



DSG Falcon Jacket DSG Falcon Jacket Black - Rs3,790.00



Reinforced Nylon or Polymer is a little better than going in for a Mesh Jacket. Although, in really hot weather, Mesh would serve you better. Besides, I see no openings for ventilation, so you need to try it on and make sure you won't suffocate. Over long distances, the jacket will serve you well, but riding at higher speeds, you won't notice the lack of ventilation. It's the commute within the city that usually kills. My suggestion is that you look at the variety from Cramster - I can guarantee that their jackets are durable, having used on myself.

As for the protection that the jacket will offer you - well, the CE rated armor will certainly offer a decent amount of protection to scratches and bruises, and broken bones as well. But, as to whether the jacket will survive more than one or two falls is doubtful.
It's a decent buy at sub 4000, but I really suggest that you take a look at cramster or other, better alternatives from DSG themselves.
insidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 22:03   #457
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
My suggestion is that you look at the variety from Cramster - I can guarantee that their jackets are durable, having used on myself. It's a decent buy at sub 4000, but I really suggest that you take a look at cramster or other, better alternatives from DSG themselves.
I would strongly advise anyone to stay away from cramster unless they dont care about money.

The jacket i bought started tearing at the sleeve in a few days of riding. Got it exchanged and the new one had terrible stitching. The velcro straps on the sleeves gave way on the first day itself.

The jacket although is claimed to be waterproof is certainly not. Total hogwash. The gloves i wanted to buy looked pathetic in build quality so i went with DSG. The knee guards i bought from cramster came apart on the first day (without a crash or even a nudge).

Cramster sucks. Their products may have been good in the past but off late they are in the pits.

I would highly recommend DSG jackets anyday. I have been using the revive gloves from DSG since i bought my ninja. No complaints whatsoever.

Also introduced a couple of fellow riders and close friends to the DSG Nero jacket and the Revive gloves and they are happy with it.

@cayman - go with DSG or Alpinestars if you can afford it.

P.S. DSG has a sale going on account of diwali. Look out for awesome discounts and deals.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 00:42   #458
BHPian
 
Cayman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
Reinforced Nylon or Polymer is a little better than going in for a Mesh Jacket. Although, in really hot weather, Mesh would serve you better. Besides, I see no openings for ventilation, so you need to try it on and make sure you won't suffocate. Over long distances, the jacket will serve you well, but riding at higher speeds, you won't notice the lack of ventilation. It's the commute within the city that usually kills.
Thanks insidious! I guess, I'll pick up a mesh jacket wen summer comes, and buy a DSG Nero for now - its gettin colder here in Hyd..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I would highly recommend DSG jackets anyday. I have been using the revive gloves from DSG since i bought my ninja. No complaints whatsoever.

Also introduced a couple of fellow riders and close friends to the DSG Nero jacket and the Revive gloves and they are happy with it.

@cayman - go with DSG or Alpinestars if you can afford it.

P.S. DSG has a sale going on account of diwali. Look out for awesome discounts and deals.
Alrite! DSG it shall be! Will pair it with a pair of (cheap) DSG Moto Mesh gloves for city riding. Moto Mesh Gloves Blue - Rs722.50

Just today, was riding at 60kph very relaxed, when a maniac suddenly rode across the road at speed, without a look at the oncoming traffic! Missed banging into the bike by 2 seconds..
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 06:48   #459
BHPian
 
Rollin' Thunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: now Hyderabad
Posts: 288
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Cramster sucks. Their products may have been good in the past but off late they are in the pits.
I agree. I had on a new Cramster touring jacket on last year when I took a relatively high-speed fall, in an incident I have described elsewhere in this forum. The right sleeve tore a hole, and the armour, which is only loosely attached, shifted out of place. As a result I got a lot of road rash on my right elbow region. My right knee region took a similar impact, but my jeans were only slightly scruffed, and did not tear. The Cramster jacket material is less protective than even denim.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 13:46   #460
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@n_aditya & @Rollin' Thunda:

I'm not sure, but perhaps you guys are right. Maybe the quality has gone down now, but the quality of cramster that I got earlier was really good. I still have a jacket that has taken 3 falls so far, including 2 on the race track at 100+, and the only damage it has taken is a small shred near the elbow which is not even that visible.

But yes, DSG does offer good stuff too.
insidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:48   #461
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default

I bought the Alpinestars Bionic Knee guards last week (free size) and used them for the first time on my Wayanad trip over the weekend. (detailed photolog will be posted on my ninja thread in a bit).

Super comfy and very sturdy. I never felt the presence of the knee guards. Absolutely superb VFM and highly recommended. Felt very safe and best part is that the padding is very soft and comfy and can be completely removed and washed.

The guards are earmarked clearly for left and right knees.

Retails for 5250/- and I paid 4750/- at Orion motors blore.

Here is the link for more information. Bionic MX Knee Protector - Alpinestars Official Store
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:05   #462
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,628
Thanked: 3,820 Times
Default

Did you get your boots Adi? I think you would prior to the 'coffee' trip.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:27   #463
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Did you get your boots Adi? I think you would prior to the 'coffee' trip.
Didn't get the boots yet. The RJays i saw at Orion were not up to my expectations.

Have a pair of Sidi Full length boots in mind and saving up for them. Another month or two I should be able to make the purchase.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 15:02   #464
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Alpinestars from Singapore

During my visit to Singapore last week, I purchased the below riding accessories/essentials for my ninja:
  • Alpinestars Verona waterproof jacket for S$300
Verona Waterproof Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store
  • Alpinestars riding gloves SMX-2 AC for S$88.8
SMX-2 A C Glove - Alpinestars Official Store
  • keiti Tank Pad for S$28
KEITI


Got them from Regina Store in Singapore that stocks Alpinestars. I guess they are the only ones having Alpinestars in Singapore.
Regina Specialties - Singapore's leading retailer in the motorcycle community

Wore the jacket and gloves to work this morning. Very comfortable and awesome fitting. Although was sweating inside when I reached office but again, I had not removed the inner lining that comes with it. Will give a more detailed review on the jacket and the gloves as I ride more.

Will also post a pic of the bike with the Keiti Tank pad. Looks cool
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 18:09   #465
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 257
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Here are some pics with the Keiti Tank Pad
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-keiti1.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-keiti2.jpg  


Last edited by Maibaa : 10th November 2010 at 18:13.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks