Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 17:09   #901
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am looking for a comfortable pair of pants that are waterproof and will work as overpants so that I can wear my office clothes under em. Any pointers?

Wouldn't mind paying a bit for them - upto 2k would be fine.
Naveen, check with Zulfi from Bachoo Motors. He had RJays rain gear listed on his site but can't find them now. Guess they are not in stock.

You will need to buy the rain gear as a set (jacket and pants) though. Do check if he has stock or when they are expected.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 18:10   #902
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, the rains are here and sadly, I still have to commute to office on a bike...
I am looking for a comfortable pair of pants that are waterproof and will work as overpants so that I can wear my office clothes under em. Any pointers?
How about something like the cheap rain-pants available with jackets? As long as they're waterproof, anything would do right? Except they might not last more than one monsoon

What's everyone doing about shoes though? I refuse to ride with floaters/chappals, and my regular Woodlands aren't known to be quick-drying. I was thinking of something from here: On The Rocks :: Products - Riding / Waterproof Boots

I'm looking for a pair of boots that would serve both riding and trekking/hiking purposes. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 18:16   #903
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,295
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Naveen, check with Zulfi from Bachoo Motors. He had RJays rain gear listed on his site but can't find them now. Guess they are not in stock.
I have this rain gear set from Rjays (thanks to Adi for the reco sometime last year) and going strong for 2 monsoons now. The water seepage from the jacket is "ZERO" while from the pants they somehow manage to get in thru the crotch area. This is in heavy downpour and riding for nearly an hour. If its mild rains and city riding the pants are also fully water proof with no seepage what so ever. Good buy for 2500 bucks including shipping.

Somehow they dont seem to have stock for nearly 8 months now as I am trying to check and get them for a few friends. I hope they start getting the stock and selling them soon.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 18:24   #904
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Naveen, check with Zulfi from Bachoo Motors. He had RJays rain gear listed on his site but can't find them now. Guess they are not in stock.

You will need to buy the rain gear as a set (jacket and pants) though. Do check if he has stock or when they are expected.
Thanks, will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
How about something like the cheap rain-pants available with jackets? As long as they're waterproof, anything would do right? Except they might not last more than one monsoon

What's everyone doing about shoes though?
Yup, the cheap pants are more than enough. But not getting one that is a good fit as overpants and moreover, they are all too short! And thanks for the link on the shoes - might have to invest on one of them - waterproof!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 20:44   #905
BHPian
 
adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 692
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi experts, is rain cover for shoes available for purchase in India ?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/28890/ITEM/MotoCentric-Mototrek-Boot-Covers.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Shoe%20Covers&WT.MC_ID=1001 0

I use army combat boots while riding and they get soaking wet in downpours.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 8th June 2012 at 20:45.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 18:35   #906
BHPian
 
KA18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chikmagalur
Posts: 193
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi experts, is rain cover for shoes available for purchase in India ?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/28890/ITEM/MotoCentric-Mototrek-Boot-Covers.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Shoe%20Covers&WT.MC_ID=1001 0

I use army combat boots while riding and they get soaking wet in downpours.
Regards Adrian
Any shoes or the covers are all great when the water is entering from the bottom, like wading through puddles. But when water enters from the top of the covers, like putting your feet into knee high (or higher than the covering) water or in down pours, there is nothing that can prevent it. We faced issues during RE's HO2011 in this regard. One guy even wrapped plastic sheet around his leg and sealed with duct tape, but it was of no use when we had to face water crossings and had heavy downpours.

I brought these kind of covers (local ones) in Leh, but they did not stop my feet from getting wet. Maybe branded ones fare better.

The best option is using Duckback type pants and Gum boots, they let minimum water in and don't feel squishy as they don't absorb water, unlike the foam sponge in other shoes. The only thing is they are not comfortable to ride and can be a bit slippery.

How about waterproof socks? Anybody has tried it?
KA18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 19:48   #907
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18

Any shoes or the covers are all great when the water is entering from the bottom, like wading through puddles. But when water enters from the top of the covers, like putting your feet into knee high (or higher than the covering) water or in down pours, there is nothing that can prevent it. We faced issues during RE's HO2011 in this regard. One guy even wrapped plastic sheet around his leg and sealed with duct tape, but it was of no use when we had to face water crossings and had heavy downpours.

I brought these kind of covers (local ones) in Leh, but they did not stop my feet from getting wet. Maybe branded ones fare better.

The best option is using Duckback type pants and Gum boots, they let minimum water in and don't feel squishy as they don't absorb water, unlike the foam sponge in other shoes. The only thing is they are not comfortable to ride and can be a bit slippery.

How about waterproof socks? Anybody has tried it?
Vinay - bad time to remind of the HO!

Back to the riding boots; try ones with the following specs - zipper on the inside, with velcroe over the zip, non lace types, narrow neck, no bolt on toe protectors rather integrated moulded ones, water resistant (am not aware of any claiming water proof), put the water resistant riding pants over the boots rather than inside. That's the best you can try, my guess!
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 18:48   #908
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 86
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi all,

During a recent ride to Nandi hills with a a few friends, I suffered a nasty fall en route Chikkaballapur. Rather than getting into the details, let me tell you know I was wearing my Cramster gloves, LS-2 helmet but instead of a thick jacket, wore my wind cheater. After the fall, I have mainly suffered contusion wounds on my knee and a lot of abrasions.

Rather than discourage, my parents have told me to recover soon and be myself but this time with much protective riding gear. The hunt has started for a good jacket and glove set with a budget of roughly 10,000 INR. Hope this is a decent range for my needs, which involves around 50km of commute in Bangalore and weekend rides. Not to mention protection for the knee this time I'm not very keen on the 'Fox' knee pads that are available here. Please help me out.
tejus.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:52   #909
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Hi all,

...this time with much protective riding gear. The hunt has started for a good jacket and glove set with a budget of roughly 10,000 INR....Not to mention protection for the knee this time I'm not very keen on the 'Fox' knee pads that are available here. Please help me out.
Tejus, go through this thread thoroughly, this thread has all the info that you seek! Member n_aditya has provided some really useful information on availability and quality of gear in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Nice to know you're getting support from the parents, instead of the usual "sell it off, no more bikes for you!".
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 15:00   #910
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 86
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Tejus, go through this thread thoroughly, this thread has all the info that you seek! Member n_aditya has provided some really useful information on availability and quality of gear in Bangalore.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Nice to know you're getting support from the parents, instead of the usual "sell it off, no more bikes for you!".
Thanks for your help, Aditya and Rahul! My friend has been to Orion motors and tried a few of the jackets. He seems to like the DSG Triton which is going to set us back 6,000 INR. Online deals are pretty sweet, with Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 available at $70! Not sure if I should go ahead and ask my friend to get it or try them (read DSG) myself here and buy DSG Triton. Appreciate the help.

Yes, my parents were surprisingly calm when we came home after the incident. Helped us breathe easy! Some very basic riding gear saved a lot ofinjuries, so looking forward to investing better in safety.

Last edited by tejus.s : 11th June 2012 at 15:02.
tejus.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 18:49   #911
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Guys, as mentioned - I am looking for rain pants ahead of the monsoons and saw this on PlayGroundOnline - Buy Btwin - RAIN TROUSERS Online | PlayGroundOnline

What do you guys think? Not sure of the quality but price seems ok - if it can do the job, that is!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 20:19   #912
BHPian
 
KA18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chikmagalur
Posts: 193
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Vinay - bad time to remind of the HO!

Back to the riding boots; try ones with the following specs - zipper on the inside, with velcroe over the zip, non lace types, narrow neck, no bolt on toe protectors rather integrated moulded ones, water resistant (am not aware of any claiming water proof), put the water resistant riding pants over the boots rather than inside. That's the best you can try, my guess!
Nitin, sounds like a good product. Any idea where it would be available?
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 09:54   #913
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Nitin, sounds like a good product. Any idea where it would be available?
Check with Performance Racing Store (PRS), Bachoo Motors or PlanetDSG.

You would need "rain" type boots since these have the velcro flap over the zipper as an enclosure. Of course water can seep from your jeans (if tucked into the boots) into the boots.

Best off the line is Sidi Rain and it costs around 17k IIRC at PRS.

PlanetDSG has the Axo Primato II boots which retail for around 7-8k. But these are not touring boots but track boots so movement will be restricted and walking around in them can be uncomfortable. I've been using Sidi Vertigo Air which are track boots, very solid and robust feel and construction and a tad uncomfy while walking around but i feel really safe with these while on the bike.

So if your bike trips include trekking, buy touring boots which will be more comfy but protection will be basic compared to race/track boots.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 16:02   #914
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Now in Bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

I actually checked the Mumbai Traffic Police site after reading about this specific section in the Bike India magazine issue. The author had mentioned that the Mumbai Traffic Police site has a very comprehensive section about helmets and the need for it. I thought it was very well written!

Mumbai Traffic Police - scroll down to the section - HELMETS A MUST & FAQ's ABOUT HELMETS.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 16:44   #915
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quite strange, the rule saying switch off mobile phones when driving alone, and DONT STOP to attend a call!!! I mean, I never EVER receive a call when riding my motorcycle (no taking out the phone from pocket even!), but I have stopped the bike (at the extreme left of the road, with engine off and indicator flashing) to answer a call if I was expecting one. Is this wrong too? WHY??? And for doctors too?? Seems highly inconsiderate!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks