Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 08:41   #1411
BHPian
 
Motormania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roaming!
Posts: 215
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Got the agv willow gloves yesterday. The quality of leather is good and the lining feels snug.
First impression is good, now need to see how the gloves will fare long term.

--Anoop
These are the exact same gloves I am thinking of picking up. The season price is too tempting to let go. Need your help though. Did you simply go by their given sizing chart and order? Do they run true to their size?
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 11:15   #1412
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
These are the exact same gloves I am thinking of picking up. The season price is too tempting to let go. Need your help though. Did you simply go by their given sizing chart and order? Do they run true to their size?
Yes, they do run true to the size. Though they have an inner lining, it is not thick enough to consider next size for the fit.

I did not use the size chart - I went by the size of my previous pair of gloves, though they where from a different brand.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 11:27   #1413
BHPian
 
Motormania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roaming!
Posts: 215
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Yes, they do run true to the size. Though they have an inner lining, it is not thick enough to consider next size for the fit.

I did not use the size chart - I went by the size of my previous pair of gloves, though they where from a different brand.

--Anoop
Thank you for the headsup. Will refer to the sizing guide and try to place the order asap. Btw, any updates on the gloves as of now? Feel and quality of the leather? How easy it is to control the switches/'bars etc.
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:01   #1414
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Thank you for the headsup. Will refer to the sizing guide and try to place the order asap. Btw, any updates on the gloves as of now? Feel and quality of the leather? How easy it is to control the switches/'bars etc.
I have used the gloves for about 500-600 km now and here is a quick review about them.

+ves:
  • Good quality leather and stitching.
  • Good amount of protection (Good knuckle protector, leather reinforcement on palm and thumb, lot of form padding on palm, thumb, and gauntlet).
  • No need to break in – feels comfortable right out of the packet.
  • Good air flow – you can really feel the air flow through the metal mesh air scoops on the fingers.
  • Soft liner ensures that the gloves are snug fit.
-ves:
  • Inside seam – though the seam does not rub against your fingers much, you can still feel them. I prefer the outside seam any day.
  • The gloves are not good for really cold winters because of the air flow. If you are from Delhi or places where the temperature drops a lot, you will have tough time keeping the hands warm during cold winter mornings. For places like Bangalore, this glove is perfect.
  • The thumb socket is a little big - but it is not as big to hinder operating the switches.
To nitpick:
  • I do not like the appearance of the plastic+metal mesh knuckle protectors (But they do appear to have made well and is strong) – I prefer the looks of CF knuckle protector.
  • No reflective pipes or stickers.
Verdict:

The leather quality is good, the liner feels soft and the air vents do work. The gloves are very well made and the quality of construction and materials are good. No issues while controlling the switches on both my Unicorn and on Desert Storm, and the seam does not rub much against the fingers (though you can still feel that they are there). The palms do not sweat as of now, and my gut feeling is that the palms will not get baked in hot summer days.

I am happy with my purchase and will definitely recommend this. At the price they are going now, these gloves are a steal.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th December 2013 at 13:03.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 23:11   #1415
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 158
Thanked: 82 Times
Post Re: The Riding Gear thread

very good review indeed. And just one question if I may, how does your palm feel after riding for 100 kays straight. Does it leave any crinkles or red spots in your palm? If yes, I think it needs a little more break in, if no, you're all set.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 12:38   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Been trying to get a gloves for ages

Almost bought the Alpinestars SMX-2 since most online sites dnt have DSG Revive. Now DSG pinged me asking if I want to get Nitro ( since I ordered Revive already) or DSG Reaper.

This is new and hence I am confused. Do help me out here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-reaper-21-medium.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-reaper-4-medium.jpg  

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 17:28   #1417
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 926 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
very good review indeed. And just one question if I may, how does your palm feel after riding for 100 kays straight. Does it leave any crinkles or red spots in your palm? If yes, I think it needs a little more break in, if no, you're all set.

Cheers!
VJ
No crinkles or red marks - in fact, the soft liner makes sure that your palms are all well

(PS: the longest time period I have worn the gloves till now is about 1.30 hrs straight)

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 19:28   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,139
Thanked: 2,605 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Been trying to get a gloves for ages

Almost bought the Alpinestars SMX-2 since most online sites dnt have DSG Revive. Now DSG pinged me asking if I want to get Nitro ( since I ordered Revive already) or DSG Reaper.

This is new and hence I am confused. Do help me out here.
JK, these gloves are no doubt good but the perforated leather tends to tear in a year's time. My pair of revive's gave up in around a year and now i use Spartan gloves. Do check them out. IMHO, they are better than DSG in terms of quality, fit and overall construction.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 20:52   #1419
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 469
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
JK, these gloves are no doubt good but the perforated leather tends to tear in a year's time. My pair of revive's gave up in around a year and now i use Spartan gloves. Do check them out. IMHO, they are better than DSG in terms of quality, fit and overall construction.

I do have a pair of spartan gloves. Love the finish, they are one of the best around. But, their largest size doesnt seem to fit my hands that well and it appears I have a short pinkie finger. Like with footwear or feet, the right and the left have some small difference in size, I guess it is wiser to go for the bigger size.
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 22:23   #1420
BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nilgiris, Ooty
Posts: 158
Thanked: 82 Times
Post Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
No crinkles or red marks - in fact, the soft liner makes sure that your palms are all well

(PS: the longest time period I have worn the gloves till now is about 1.30 hrs straight)

--Anoop


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Been trying to get a gloves for ages

Almost bought the Alpinestars SMX-2 since most online sites dnt have DSG Revive. Now DSG pinged me asking if I want to get Nitro ( since I ordered Revive already) or DSG Reaper.

This is new and hence I am confused. Do help me out here.
Aditya is right, DSG Nitro and Revive are budget oriented gloves and works real good. But the devil is in the details. Spartan on the other hand is no different from these gloves, but the Pegasus, the Phaeton.

If you're considering for a full gauntlet, their Centaur is a good product. Indeed very good construction of their products.

If you narrow down between Revive and Nitro, Revive just for the sake of CF.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 15:30   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post




Aditya is right, DSG Nitro and Revive are budget oriented gloves and works real good. But the devil is in the details. Spartan on the other hand is no different from these gloves, but the Pegasus, the Phaeton.

If you're considering for a full gauntlet, their Centaur is a good product. Indeed very good construction of their products.

If you narrow down between Revive and Nitro, Revive just for the sake of CF.

Cheers!
VJ
Many thanks guys! Spartan guys are snail mail team I guess. Tried mailing twice.

PlanetDSG customer support is nice and good. They dont have 'S' in stock and hence waiting.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 12:43   #1422
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Riding brothers,
I am looking for complete riding gear for my 390. Things to consider- Will be riding/touring in hot chennai weather- Protection, ventilation and quality important.
Considering Joe rocket ufo mesh jacket- 180$- http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-...-ufo-20-jacket. or dainese airframe.
Also looking for riding pants, gloves (A* smx2?) and boots (A* smx1,2)? - which is not uncomfortable for walking and can be worn with jeans to work.
Budget for jacket-10 to 15k, gloves- 4k, boots- 8-10k. pants- 5-7k. These are expensive for me, but hoping that these will protect and last long.
please suggest places where i can try this (chennai/bangalore) or buy online. i have overseas friends who can send/bring gear to india.
prashanth957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 12:05   #1423
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Tourmaster Solution Air WP 2.0

Finally after a long wait, got the Tourmaster Solution Air WP 2.0 boots. Cost was 8k and one of my friend carried it back from US.
Haven't used it extensively for detailed review but initial small ride feedback was the grip of the boots are very good.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20131225_170556.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20131225_171713.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20131225_171734.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20131225_171830.jpg  

rk_sans is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 07:46   #1424
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 499
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: The Riding Gear thread

Guys, I am looking for a knee and shin guard combination in affordable range. Please suggest options.

For riding jacket my budget was 5k but as I could not find anything, so had to stretch to accommodate the DSG Nero (6500). Please suggest suitable options if any, within 5K range.

Kind regards,

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd January 2014 at 18:14. Reason: shin word corrected
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 12:31   #1425
BHPian
 
Motormania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roaming!
Posts: 215
Thanked: 100 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Guys, I am looking for a knee and sheen guard combination in affordable range. Please suggest options.

For riding jacket my budget was 5k but as I could not find anything, so had to stretch to accommodate the DSG Nero (6500). Please suggest suitable options if any, within 5K range.

Kind regards,
You can take a look at the Spartan Perseus knee guards or the Thor Quadrant.

For jackets, look at the Spartan Icarus in that price range. If you are stretching your budget then consider the Spartan helios as well.
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear bik1906 Motorbikes 33 11th September 2016 00:53
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51
New Riding Sports Gear outlet in Mumbai devil_in_flesh Motorbikes 12 3rd April 2008 11:26
Single gear riding iamkapilb Street Experiences 5 31st August 2006 12:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks