Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd October 2008, 17:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to all of that.

PS: Renu will somewhere quote your sig!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:17   #17
BHPian

Sure thing that a gladiator might not be the ideal tour bike. And i would not recommend it if the purpose of the bike is solely for touring.
But being an owner of gladiator myself i would say that it will not disappoint if taken for an occasional tour. After having ridden the bike for three months I am pretty sure of this. It can hold speeds of 85 with no problem. I know it is a far cry from 100km\hr but still sufficient. And its handling is top notch. Even with the thin tires the bike handles brilliantly. The bike feels well grounded and cornering is brilliant. I would second getting knee pads on this bike cause the bike leans into turns like track bike. Even the seating position is ideal and does not hurt the back even on long rides. For a person who commutes to work everyday, who wants the mileage and wants a good bike for an affordable price gladi is surely the bike and even if he decides to go on an occasional tour this bike isn't bad at all.
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 14:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
It can hold speeds of 85 with no problem. I know it is a far cry from 100km\hr but still sufficient. And its handling is top notch. .
If it cant even hold 85kmph, then I dont know what to say. Its a disappointment if you see. So its not a great task man.
handling courtesy a slow engine will always be good. Put another 5bhp and talk about the same package.
The victor 110 with an 8.5bhp engine feels better on corners than the victor edge 125cc with 10.5bhp and its the same frame + cycle parts. With a slower bike, the approach into a corner is always good.
The glady has a good handling package, no doubt..but cant be compared with bigger bikes. I know of people who even say the Glady handles better than he R15 too. What can I say?
I have heard of arguments that it can out handle an RTR in a track. Are we talking sense here?
Things down a track are quite different untill you hit it in reality. We can have a list of assumptions. But the first corner will seperate the men among bikes. No "definetely male" tagged bikes stand a chance. You could have scrapped things in a ghat, but the pace needed for a race track is something else.
Hope you got the message.

Joel

Last edited by fieroid : 24th October 2008 at 14:32.
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 18:53   #19
BHPian

@fieroid: I would like to note that i said that it can hold speeds of 85 with no problems. And about adding 5 bhp to the same bike and seeing how it handles, i get your point. It might not handle as well. But previously i was arguing only about how the bike will not fair badly if a person wanted to take his bike on a tour. As i have said earlier if touring is a priority then this is not the bike. I was talking from the point of view from an everyday commuter as i have also noted in my previous note.
lobojames9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 12:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Latest update - Renukumar is all set to sell his powerful 125cc gladiator already and buy something even slower.

Joel
I won the first round of Indian National Rally Championship(Rally of Coimbatore 2009) in 3rd place. On my Gladiator in Group D. In modified class, there were Gladiator/YBXs that were churning out atleast 5 more bhps but there was absolutely no competition for the Yamaha. What say now?

Gladiator(Yamaha), nothing else matters!
RenuKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:15   #21

hey renu!
congrats on your win!
I'll be most probably buying my first bike in another 2 months and do a bit of touring around pune AND till now i have my eyes fixed on Gladi RS. what say? or would you recommend me another bike?
iamgyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 21:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Put another 5bhp and talk about the same package.

Hope you got the message.

Joel
Yes sir, the bike is ready with the power figures you were speaking.

I am testing the bike in dirt on the 27th and 28th Mar 2010. The same bike will be running for INRC 2010 in Group B four stroke upto 130cc.

Thanks to its performance, I completed the INRC 2009 season in 3rd place in Group D.

Test Location: Mysore (Hunsur Road, Sridhara Farms)

Regards,

RenuKumar
Yamaha - Nothing else matters!!!
Old 19th March 2010, 22:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
I won the first round of Indian National Rally Championship(Rally of Coimbatore 2009) in 3rd place. On my Gladiator in Group D. In modified class, there were Gladiator/YBXs that were churning out atleast 5 more bhps but there was absolutely no competition for the Yamaha. What say now?

Gladiator(Yamaha), nothing else matters!
I agree with you ... as a YBX owner (bought on Sept 17 1999) I have no complaints what so ever from the bike.

10 Years have gone by and so have 1,00,000 Kms. All I have replaced among the major parts are the Tyres and Battery (both not made by YAMAHA). She has never given up on me in 10 Long years, never has she stranded me on the road. Ran her at full trottle for 5-6 Kms at a stretch, not a squeak from her.

Yes Yamaha makes great bikes.

For those who remember the July 26 rains in 2005, my RX100 got me home in driving rain that day.

MY RD350 has been running the same clutch plates for the past 27 years
alok_balsekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 20:27   #24
BHPian

Hi

I was looking for some reviews on the Gladiator to know how about the front disc brakes.

Please let me know the following:

1. How do one feel about the front disc brakes when compared to other models of Yamaha.
2. Is it very effective?
3. Can you tell me about the life of the disc pads in case of normal city usage?
4. Can you tell me if it is Endurance or KBX make that comes for Gladiator.

Let me tell you what I would like to know the above points:

I own RX135 and would like to convert to front disc brake set up.

Your valuable information is much appreciated.

Moderators: If this post is inappropriate to this section, kindly disregard and direct me to appropriate section.
SriramEfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:34   #25
BHPian

Few pics of the rally season and practice sessions:

Love you Glady :-)
Old 9th November 2010, 23:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish I had the green bucks to enjoy all forms of Motorcycling.

You are living a dream Renu

Cheers
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:52   #27
BHPian

Congrats Renu, that was an awesome effort. Yes Glady is a sweet bike in all respects, do'nt know why it is not catching up on sales, may be the fuel economy the culprit. can it be possible to use a FZ top end on the Glady crank ?

congrats again
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
Congrats Renu, that was an awesome effort. Yes Glady is a sweet bike in all respects, do'nt know why it is not catching up on sales, may be the fuel economy the culprit. can it be possible to use a FZ top end on the Glady crank ?

congrats again
Thank you Sheel :-)

@George: Thanks a lot bro :-) I would say Yamaha's advertising skills are bad when it comes to mass production... People who wants to buy R15 know their needs and those bikes don't need advertising at all...

Fuel economy is pretty good...

We tried the FZ bore and head... it doesn't fit as the chassis restricts.. I have a Gladiator that churns out 160cc... maybe you can try it some time... :-)

Cheers
Old 10th November 2010, 23:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
Hi

I was looking for some reviews on the Gladiator to know how about the front disc brakes.

Please let me know the following:

1. How do one feel about the front disc brakes when compared to other models of Yamaha.
2. Is it very effective?
3. Can you tell me about the life of the disc pads in case of normal city usage?
4. Can you tell me if it is Endurance or KBX make that comes for Gladiator.

Let me tell you what I would like to know the above points:

I own RX135 and would like to convert to front disc brake set up.

Your valuable information is much appreciated.

Moderators: If this post is inappropriate to this section, kindly disregard and direct me to appropriate section.
Hi Sriram, you can go for Gladiator Disc assembly... It is not just great but also reliable.

One of my friends is using Gladiator Fork and Disc Brake assembly on his RX. You can take his feedback.

Guru: 9902878687
Old 29th December 2010, 18:15   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Gladiator, tested

Latest Update:

I participated in the Rally of Maharashtra that was held on 11th and 12th Dec 2010. Bike was great when I rode it in Recce... it was faster than usual... I had great expectations out of the event but unfortunately, I was not able to finish the rally :-(

Few photos of the Rally: