Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th February 2009, 22:51   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I cribbed the whole day that i did not have a valentine but sir your post opened my eyes. I had my valentine standing in the garage all day.
Bought my geny grey activa on july 19, 2006. Not one extra expense except the servicing but a change of rear tire ans rear tore which i dragged on to the extent of going "boom" in the middle of the road. Boy, that was a lucky escape and again I'd like to thank the honda guys to design such a wonderful vehicle that did give way at that moment and saved me as well as the pillion from getting hurt.
Cheers activa
Shresth Bharti
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 15:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
I cribbed the whole day that i did not have a valentine but sir your post opened my eyes. I had my valentine standing in the garage all day.
Bought my geny grey activa on july 19, 2006. Not one extra expense except the servicing but a change of rear tire ans rear tore which i dragged on to the extent of going "boom" in the middle of the road. Boy, that was a lucky escape and again I'd like to thank the honda guys to design such a wonderful vehicle that did give way at that moment and saved me as well as the pillion from getting hurt.
Cheers activa
Shresth Bharti
Nice to know about your Activa too Shresth.Indeed we fill the tank and drive on and on using this lovely scooter and taking its reliability for granted.I was also calculating the amount we save on 4 stroke oils that seldom needs topping up.It hardly consumes oil with the petrol.The last time i topped it up was about 4 months back.The level has hardly changed ever since.The Activa's home country (Japan) does not have not a single drop of natural oil deposit and this shows on the frugality of this machine.
Contrarily,in 2 stroke bikes and scooters count 20 to 25 ml of 2T oil for every litre of petrol consumed.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 23:49   #18
BHPian

Hey Activa Lovers.. I plan to buy a Activa too, but since i heard of the New face lifted Activa being launched soon I decided to wait..

I am otherwise deciding between the Activa or the Aviator..
Heard that the current Activa front rises up when brakes are applied..

Any idea if it will be too long before the new Activa launches?? Or should i just go ahead and buy the current version???
Ash-NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 00:29   #19
BHPian

Default New Activa Soon

Hello..
I just read some news about the new Activa. I haveposted that info in another thread..

Pls read this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...er-thread.html (The Gearless Scooter Thread)
Ash-NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 11:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Very Happy Sixth Birthday today to my Valentine the trusted Honda Activa-bought on 14th Feb 2003!
May the two of you get along for a long time to come.
Ride safe and protect her from scratches.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 22:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
Hey Activa Lovers.. I plan to buy a Activa too, but since i heard of the New face lifted Activa being launched soon I decided to wait..

I am otherwise deciding between the Activa or the Aviator..
Heard that the current Activa front rises up when brakes are applied..

Any idea if it will be too long before the new Activa launches?? Or should i just go ahead and buy the current version???
The new Activa will be launched in March 2009 going by the press reports from HMSIL.I never faced the front rising problem with my scooter.Though the front suspension is not that tough to take on huge potholes. The shocks bottom out and the axle feels the bumps through its nerves-it gets rattled simply.The rear suspension is better with the single shock absorber/coil spring set up.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

ACID ATTACK
The front mudguard of my Activa was under acid attack since the past many months.I took some suggestions from friends (even on teambhp) who had said that the plastic outlet pipe of the battery is the culprit in such cases. One friend suggested that I fit a longer pipe so that all the extra battery electrolyte drains off beyond the bodyline and not on the bodyline.
Today I found time and checked the battery electrolyte level, topped it up, cleaned the surrounding (thats prone to dust) and found that the electrolyte outlet pipe is slightly disconnected right at the battery outlet level.The pipe's length was OK. How could the disconnection have been done? The answer was simple. Last time when I topped the battery, I pulled it a bit for convenience, while topping. And this pull disconnected the outlet pipe a bit. This was creating some messing up below the battery and upon the mudguard. Thats now stopped. The picture shows the reconnected battery outlet and the acid attack marks.
My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!-dsc04510.jpg

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!-dsc04511.jpg

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!-dsc04512.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th December 2009 at 20:35.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:51   #23
BHPian

My Activa has now crossed 20k, it was bought new in Nov-Dec 2004, can't remember exactly, it'll brused and battered now, no one actually takes care of her much, however I got to give it to Honda for such a beautiful machine, it's very reliable and keeps going on and on.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 21:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to write more about my Activa now that it has done something like 11000 kms. May wonder as to how it has done only 11000 kms in six and a half years, then must say that I very sparingly use it.
Why was it bought in the first place? Must say that in 2003, when I used to drop my daughter at her nursery school regularly, the cars with me would not be able to wriggle through the dense city traffic faster and were not convenient for parking near the school premises.That nursery school has hundreds of cars ferrying kid/s. Most of the latest models are first ever seen in my city ferrying someone's child/ren to that school. So for convenience I bought the Activa. My Yamaha was not safe for seating the little child- atop the petrol tank was the only option.
Also the Activa fulfils all my marketing needs. Its tiny and its a breeze to and park it at the most crowded places .It can carry enough grocery and vegetables that any small car can almost carry.
The Activa is a middle of the road scooter.It is'nt as peppy as any 100 cc bike (my RX 100 is still unbeatable). Even any Hero Honda can outperform it perhaps. But its body and chassis are best designed for stability on the road while driving and manouvering. Its metal body is a deterrent under the "Bharatiya conditions" and I must say that breakages like in plastic bodied two wheelers is minimal.
The Activa does speeds upto 70 kmph with much ease but runs out of breath above that and SAFETY is to be the watchword to anybody commuting above 70kmph on this machine.
Its fuel meter is erroneous and shows half filled mark at full tank! It delivers a flawless 42 to 45 kmph to me till now. And engine oil consumption is at the bare minimum.I am still to come to terms with the switch placement on the handlebar.Am very much at ease only with the turn signal.The headlight on/off and the high/low beam switches are still a bit alien to me.
The black plastics have faded and its my good luck that these CHEAP and CRAP plastics have not turned white, but still are very light grey as compared to the blackish grey colour they sported when new.I now apply 3M polish to blacken them with excellent results. Monthly appplication is advisable.
The suspensions are too inferior. The front suspension and axle bottom out and emit a "surrender" like "back breaking" thud when the two wheeler jumps a pothole or some uneven surface.The rear shox are'nt better either. Though the rear ones don't bottom out they aren't comfortable either.And this fact has been observed by me since the Activa was brand new. Honda needs to brace up its research for Indian conditions or else some other make may capture the almost monopolistic position this make has.
The engine cover opening and access to the spark plug, oil changing points and other accesses to day to day maintenance spots aren't DIY friendly at all.
The battery becomes low in charge even if the two wheeler is not used for 4-5 days. The next option is to kick start it. Kick starting it either with the centre stand disengaged (reasons with picture in my earlier report) or with Hawaii slippers on, or any soft sole footwear (many ladies wear such footwear) is nerve-wracking. The kick start pedal is too thin and there is no rubber cushion or cover like on bikes. The metal hurts the foot badly sometimes.I have faced tough times at traffic signals with such a low battery and the centre stand disengaged. The kick starter cannot be struck while the rider is seated.So badly it is placed. With the centre-stand disengaged, the kick does not move fully till the base as there is obstruction. Oh for the bajaj scooters that can be started whlie the rider is seated with ease.
The Activa has a side stand, but that stand has a very "strict and no-nonsense" spring which hits the body with a metallic thud when disengaged.A rubber bush at the base of the side stand would make both our feet and the scooter body safe.
Hope Honda understands all this and does R&D for rectifying these gremlins.The plus points are its brand image,reliability,minimal care and maintenance needs only.
Old 12th December 2009, 00:49   #25
BHPian

Activa Owners my cousin has a activa, the engine is mounted to the chassis with the help of two mounts in the front.In these mounts there is a rubber bush.This rubber bush cracks after some usage its very very difficult to notice it in time. By the time we notice it gets fallen down or chipped of to the extent that there is no rubber between the engine mount and the chassis.So what happens is the engine mount cracks. Engine mount is a part of the engine structure and so if it cracks we will have to replace the whole engine structure which is very very costly. So guys please take care of this particular problem with Activa. Any noise,irregularity in rear suspension,wobbling please check these bushes and avoid getting the engine structure getting cracked.Way too costly to replace the whole of it.Prevention is better than replacement.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 23:11   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Celebrated the 7th birthday of my beloved Activa on Valentine's day 14/02/2010. gave it a neat wash and made it look clean and younger.After all it has served me faithfully for 7 years.
The OE battery (Exide ) lasted two years. The next one fitted now in 2005 is still going strong (another Exide).
Old 17th August 2010, 23:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

The battery was dead very recently and gave me goose-pimples all the while.The kick starter is very badly designed and its a tough job to manoeuvre it when the centre stand is not engaged. Means if the scooter stops at a signal, one has to get down from his seat, place the thing on its centre stand and then kick start.Imagine doing this in a crowded traffic condition!
At the time when the battery conked off there was a shortage of Exide and Amaron batteries in the market.The reason: In May 2010 there was a strike in the Exide battery plant in Haryana and so when production resumed, OE batteries were in great demand and the replacement market had to take a back seat.
Amaron and Exide batteries of many specifications were in short supply hence.Amco was available.Thats not the brand for me.
With lots of patience I could get an Amaron battery after a two week wait.It improved my mobility a lot, as there are many crowded places in town where four wheelers are a no-no.
I can only sympathize with friends who have two wheelers that have such kick starters or even some 2 wheelers that have no kick starters at all, but at the same time have a dead battery with good brands being in short supply in the market.The position has eased now.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th August 2010 at 23:06.
Old 18th December 2010, 19:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!

Last week, I changed the two front fork bushes of the Activa.There was a metallic thud being emitted whenever the Acty ran into uneven surfaces.All was not well and peeping there I found the lower bushes of the two shock ups gone. These are plastic ribbed bushes covering a metal cylindrical washer.There is no rubber anywhere.
I also got the spark plug changed as the old (OE Mico) one had done about 14000 kms plus (total mileage on the odo now).The new one a Champion cost me Rs 70=00.
Found the ride improved and she's now in very good health. Again on Valentine's day (14th Feb) she celebrates her 7th year with me.
Old 20th March 2011, 17:12   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I have changed the gear oil and also the engine oil very recently all by myself.The gear oil is easier to change as the drain and filler screws are easier to access.The engine oil drain screw is located just behind the brake cable which runs across.Accessing it is not that plain. I had to change the drain screw (cost Rs 30=00 from authorised dealer ) located at the left side,as the spanners of various hues slipped and made its head smooth.The other drain screw is located below the oil level check dipstick to the right.
The OE air filter element (oil immersed foam) in the main filter chamber (left) atop the gearbox was changed too as the OE foam filter had outlived its life (8 years now) and the foam was getting fragmented.
There is a secondary air filter to the right that too was opened and cleaned.
I used Castrol 4T for the engine and Castrol gear oil for the gearbox.
A few days back I opened the spark plug for cleaning without opening the bonnet. The spark plug is accessible from the right side and if the scooter is bent a little the spark plug can be accessed.While refitting it,the new Champion spark plug fell down into the plastic cover that covers the engine chamber. The fan is just a few centimeters away.Since fishing for the lost spark plug was futile I refitted the OE Mico and the scooter started doing its duty with the Champion plug stationed inside.However there were rattles at times while driving.I went to a mechanic and he said the whole engine unit will have to be dismantled to get out the spark plug.
With some more metallic rattles after that, today I said enough is enough and tried to do the job myself.The bonnet was opened and I tried to open the magneto fan cover fastened by four screws (two with hexagonal heads and two star screws). Three screws came off easily. The fourth, a star screw has been placed just ahead of the foot board and there is no way one can access it without opening the foot board.The Activa is a pain for DIY fellows.However the plastic cover could be loosened with the three screws off and checked for impurities within. The spark plug (an impurity) was traced and had broken into two pieces. The Champion's ceramic had been dissected by the magneto fan.
The spark plug is labelled Champion Power. Now who had the real power? The Champion or the magneto fan blades?

After the successful retrieval of the spark plug, lastly, I refitted the screws and fastened the magneto cover.I also thoroughly cleaned the engine and the parts within the bonnet.
Name:  DSC07139.JPG
Views: 7560
Size:  130.8 KB
The primary air filter (on the left side of the scooter above the gear box)
Name:  DSC07138.JPG
Views: 11313
Size:  133.0 KB
The secondary air filter on the right side of the scooter
Name:  DSC07140.JPG
Views: 11934
Size:  133.0 KB
The main engine oil drain screw (left) and the intruding brake cable (a little bit bent for photography)
Name:  DSC07131.JPG
Views: 6678
Size:  133.2 KB
The engine chamber cover
Name:  DSC07132.JPG
Views: 6712
Size:  133.7 KB
The engine chamber's cover showing the spark plug location (round hole) on the plastic cover.
Name:  DSC07133.JPG
Views: 6670
Size:  132.7 KB
The engine chamber cover
Name:  DSC07134.JPG
Views: 8376
Size:  132.5 KB
The magneto plastic cover screws taken off
Name:  DSC07135.JPG
Views: 5863
Size:  128.1 KB
The magneto fan and the plastic cover loosened to get out “impurities”-the Champion spark plug-picture taken from below facing top
Name:  DSC07136.JPG
Views: 5503
Size:  132.7 KB
The powerless Champion Power amid a colour of Hoil
Name:  DSC07137.JPG
Views: 11735
Size:  131.1 KB
Within the bonnet - so much dirt!
Name:  DSC07141.JPG
Views: 6616
Size:  134.4 KB
The right hand side engine oil drain screw (hexagonal) and the magneto cover unfastened
Name:  DSC07142.JPG
Views: 9928
Size:  132.5 KB
The magneto cover refitted
Name:  DSC07143.JPG
Views: 5125
Size:  133.2 KB
The fourth star screw on the magneto cover whose access is blocked to any screw driver –at least a hexagonal screw could have offered better access

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 20th March 2011 at 17:46.
Old 18th December 2011, 23:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

My Activa was inactive since the past one week as it developed starting trouble. There were some hiccups but it said "No" finally and went to get rested.Much like fast bowlers who want to get rested or are compulsorily rested by selectors, lest they harm their limbs. But the Activa has nothing in it that comes with a "fast" tag. Its just an average scooter and nothing else to move you from place A to B.
I opened the engine cover (bonnet for some) and checked all the vital organs. The spark plug was non-functional. Black and sooty it had become after about seven months or so of the last cleaning. It was cleared of all the black soot that had settled on the terminals. And the scooter started with half a self instantly after the plug was refitted.I never believed that for four stroke engines, the plug could be so vital an organ!
The Honda Activa had its 3M day today! It has a lot of plastics that can shine brighter with the 3M Plast Shield and so also the rubber with Tyre Shield, I was sure! And these two products have done their job only too well on the scooter.
Name:  DSC08322.JPG
Views: 3884
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  DSC08323.JPG
Views: 4778
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  DSC08324.JPG
Views: 3798
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  DSC08326.JPG
Views: 4287
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  DSC08329.JPG
Views: 3834
Size:  202.2 KB

Name:  DSC08330.JPG
Views: 3816
Size:  130.2 KB
The rubbers and plastics get the shine!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th December 2011 at 23:09.