Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th August 2008, 12:48   #1
BHPian

Default Battery Dead!!

Hi,

I own a RX-100 bike which was converted to 12V electrical system with appropriate specs (Heavy duty12V battery, new wiring, new regulator et al).

I ripped the bike the other day for a non-stop 220 kms stretch at full throttle (may be 100 kmph or so) and when I reached my destination, the horn and indicators stopped working. I thought, may be the battery connection got dis-connected due to the vibrations. When I took it to a battery shop, it was found out that a cell was dead. What may be the reason??

@Mods: Hope this is the right forum, else, please move it to appropriate forum, thanks in advance.
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:10   #2
BHPian

Here is a detailed article on Understanding Motorcycle Batteries. Yuasa Batteries :: Understanding Motorcycle Batteries. Hope you will find some answers here.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

"a dead cell" usually means manufacturing defect. What brand is the battery? How old is it? is it under warranty?

Do contact the place you got it from, especially if it is under warranty.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 13:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Here is a detailed article on Understanding Motorcycle Batteries. Yuasa Batteries :: Understanding Motorcycle Batteries. Hope you will find some answers here.
Hi Muralisk,

The link was very nice. But, my doubts still remain an answered. I have maintained my bike/battery in perfect conditions, not violated any of the points raised in the article, then why the battery died? It is relatively a new battery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
"a dead cell" usually means manufacturing defect. What brand is the battery? How old is it? is it under warranty?

Do contact the place you got it from, especially if it is under warranty.
Hi BaCkSeAtDrIVeR,

The battery make is Excide, it is a wet battery. Unfortunately, the warranty expired few days back :-(

I have decided to go for dry battery this time.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:02   #5
BANNED

How old is this battery? Do the horn and indicators not work (however feebly) even when the engine is running? Check the charging circuit as well.

I'm on my third battery in the KB125, BTW.

More interesting - where is this non-stop 220 km stretch where you ripped at full throttle?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 15:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How old is this battery? Do the horn and indicators not work (however feebly) even when the engine is running? Check the charging circuit as well.

I'm on my third battery in the KB125, BTW.

More interesting - where is this non-stop 220 km stretch where you ripped at full throttle?
Hi hrag,

The battery is one year old (just out of warranty ). Ya, all the electricals work fine when the engine is running. I have got my circuit checked as well. All is OK. Definately a battery failure.

Find out about the non-stop 220 km rip:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...home-town.html (Trip to home town)

Last edited by whitesquall : 20th August 2008 at 16:09.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

check out the amara raja' amaron batteries for bikes.
I think they cost about 1500.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since the battery is out of warranty, I guess you got a very poor quality piece. If the electricals work (even less bright) when the engine is running, the problem is with the battery. If there is starting / lighting problems with engine running, you have an electricals problem too. Anyway, a dead cell means certain battery replacement. Whatever be the reason for the dead cell.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 21:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
check out the amara raja' amaron batteries for bikes.
I think they cost about 1500.

Just an update.
I bought one last month for 1000.
Maintainance free, 60 Month warranty.

Warranty came in handy as the battery died and was replaced with a new one today.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Just an update.
I bought one last month for 1000.
Maintainance free, 60 Month warranty.

Warranty came in handy as the battery died and was replaced with a new one today.
Which brand ? Amaron ?

I too got a new battery replaced around 2 months back. Amco. But the warranty is only for 18 months :(
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^^18 months isn't bad (considering other brands). Your 18 month warranty is most likely full/real warranty... and the 60 month warranty is most likely just pro-rata discount after the initial 2 years or so. Pro-rata discount (dont know why they even call it warranty) isn't as great as it sounds... if you think about it! Its just the manufacturer's way of enticing you to buy their product again, within the period it shouldn't have failed in the 1st place (assuming you used/maintained it as you should). So why would you want to buy the same brand again??
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

520 bucks - UPS battery. The bherry best to use !
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 02:35   #13
BHPian

Amarons carry a 60 month warranty and are dry sealed maintenance free batteries.

Have been using one on my Tbird for about 4 months now. No complaints yet. Well, 4 months is too early, will see how it fairs beyond 15-18 months.
kcstheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:14   #14
BHPian

for an RX100 (non starter application) a UPS type battery costing 500-600 is VFM.
Please check your RR unit, battery dying out after a 220km run is a sign of overcharging.
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^How is it VFM if it costs 600 bucks? Not sure... but I guess the RX100 would require the same battrey as Suzuki Shogun... ie. 2.5 Ah? Correct me if I'm wrong, please...

I just got a 2.5 Ah Base Terminal (Panasonic) battery for Rs. 600. So how does a UPS battery (which is not ment for this application anyway) offer any advantage? Yes, it would be maintainence free... but any other benifit other than that?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote